Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Good set of attributes for RPG?  (Read 12050 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Good set of attributes for RPG?
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:26:49 pm »

You know the drill; I'm making a computer game.

I want a set of 6-8 attributes that are about equally useful. This is a "talky" RPG with lots of NPCs, and an extremly branchy storyline that could just as easily be pretty much pure combat. As such, any kind of character should be possible- from a farmboy to a diplomatic statesman, an apprentice accountant to a barbarian warchief.

No "races"- it's all humans, but possibly different cultures. Magic is extremely rare and usually scary; mages are generally similar to the most bizzare of the masonic traditions or else are Rasputinian. For example, rather than throw a fireball, a powerful mage will glare at a victim, beard bristling and eyes bulging, while the luckless subject will spasm in pain before colapsing as fire lances from his eyes and mouth.

Of course, such an attack would be quite exausting, and if there are two people fighting a wizard, the second one could just as easily whack him upside the head with a half brick in a sock. There are some simple rituals that may have a very small effect, and these may be used by the general populous, but no fireball spells. Fireball spells are the crates of magic.

As for actual technology, it's not steampunk, but clever people have been doing interesting things with clockwork, and in some branches this may play an important role.

Anyway, my point is I need something like 6-8 attributes that would work in this kind of setting and allow as much (balanced) variety as possible.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

salmonjockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good set of attributes for RPG?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:40:36 pm »

Strength - Need no explanation.
Musical Perceptiveness - As strength, except for musical perceptiveness.
Circularity - A measure of the circularity.
Mind Size - Used when talking and attacking with the head.
Linen - A boolean preference

Sorry, I could only figure out five, but they seem like they should cover most bases.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:44:17 pm »

Strength - Need no explanation.
Musical Perceptiveness - As strength, except for musical perceptiveness.
Circularity - A measure of the circularity.
Mind Size - Used when talking and attacking with the head.
Linen - A boolean preference

Sorry, I could only figure out five, but they seem like they should cover most bases.

I am going to have to find a way to use that somehow.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:56:17 pm »

At first I was thinking, ok, that makes sense... then well maybe not that, then wait what, then whaaaaat, then lol.

salmonjockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:46:09 pm »

At first I was thinking, ok, that makes sense... then well maybe not that, then wait what, then whaaaaat, then lol.

Well you know, one mans bread is another mans shed. Or something?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 03:59:37 pm »

Well, the more the merrier, no? So here're some stats for you:
-Upper body strength
-Lower body strength
-Endurance
-Flexibility
-Balance
-Dexterity
-Pain threshold
-Immunity
-Mental stability
-Stubbornness
-Influencability
-Memory
-Wit
-Intelligence
-Learning speed
-Focus
-Muscle memory
-Charisma
-Empathy
-Intuition
-Hearing
-Sight
-Smell
-Taste
-Touch
-Greed
-Metabolic speed
-Sexual preference
-Seriousness

I'm sure there are many more stats then this that would be relevant in a deep, realistic game, but these should at least get you started
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:06:52 pm by Virex »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:37:00 pm »

Talky, eh?

-Diplomatic/uncooperative
-disciplined/chaotic
-crazy/stable
-leader/follower
-orderly/disorganized
-obsession/unfocused

-Balance
-total power
-sharpness/focus
-fervor/enthusiasm
-Volume
-metabolism
-fitness( exponential decreasing benefits, though benefits regardless)
-Vigor
-dedication
-twitch
-fear
-anxiety

-posture,
-weight
-energetic (sort metabolism)
-height

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 05:05:53 pm »

Strength (fighting, lifting, and other physical power-related actions)
Artifice (crafting, repairing, operating a ship, and other object-related actions)
Scholarship (writing, history, mathematics, and other intellectually-related actions)
Sociality (convincing, becoming friends, and other socially-related actions)
Acrobatics (jumping, climbing, and other non-strength related physical actions)

Combining two attributes for a given action might also be better for spreading out, since there's more ways to arrive at a given value. With the stats I've listed, for instance, anyone good at finance will also be a history buff; if Finance is Scholarship + Artifice and History is Scholarship + Sociality, you could have someone who's good at Finances but doesn't know much about history. You still couldn't have someone who was good at history but bad at both math and parties, and many combinations would still be paired, but still. Something to consider.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 05:26:37 pm »

That is interesting. I like the idea of having as many things be blended as possible.

Eerr's dictionary there has some ideas- I like the idea of having some personality dials to turn, which could change the diologue options available- but I also want players to have plenty of freedom in RPing as well. I may break this into two parts, then; a set personality attributes and body atts.

Four dimensions for each half would be simple enough to grasp easily, while still being quite flexible.

Strength and endurance always seem to be separated, but it occurrs to me that it's difficult to imagine someone with low str but high end, or vice versa. However, that only leaves us with Musculature and Agility for body but perhaps Inspiration, Willpower, Cognition, and Charisma (creativity, will, smarts, charm) for mind. Any ideas?

The idea is that we want any somewhat specific character archetype to be realizeable.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:15 pm »

Out of curiousity, does this RPG happen to take place in the FUDGE system? It's the only one I know where attributes are important where you're encouraged to just make some up.

Here are my suggestions for you, going by the "four dimensions for each half" theory:

---PHYSICAL---

Strength -- obvious. Determines weapon usability, potential damage, etc. Whatever you want.
Dexterity/Agility/Reflexes: Should be a complex stat, determines perhaps physical speed, dodging, and so forth.
Intelligence/Mind: The wizard stat. No, really, you mentioned wizards in your first post. If a character uses magic, they might end up rolling against this a lot.
Constitution/Stamina: Determines hardiness, ability to take a punch and resistance to diseases and such. Not necessarily the same as strength.

---SOCIAL---

Awareness/Empathy: The stat for a character to be able to pick up the emotions of others. Optionally, the "detect X" stat in general.
Ego: Should be simple enough, a stat for a character's opinion of themselves and personal opinion strength in general. Might could also be used for "magic resistance"?
Leaderhood: Or whatever you want to call it. The stat that determines how well the character makes other characters act under/for them.
Socialization: The above are all situational stats. This is the stat that determines how believable and/or likable the character is in regular conversation.

I'd enjoy seeing what you end up doing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:52:38 pm by freeformschooler »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 06:14:51 pm »

Physical:
Strength
Agility
Stamina

Mental:
Reason
Perception
Memory

Social:
Empathy
Charisma
Will

Other:
Luck?
Fate?
Education?
Social Class?
Wealth?
Allies?
Blarg?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »

"Strength and endurance always seem to be separated, but it occurrs to me that it's difficult to imagine someone with low str but high end, or vice versa."

Size

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 06:39:55 pm »

Also, sprinters would have high strength but generally low(er) endurance then marathon walkers

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08:34 pm »

Also, sprinters would have high strength but generally low(er) endurance then marathon walkers

The difference is even more pronounced with weight lifters. Lots of force, very little endurance.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »

Strength
Dexterity (perhaps split this into Dexterity and Agility, where the former is manual dexterity and the second is speed and dodge etc)
Intellect
Charisma (suggest splitting into Beauty and Charisma, where they each affect characters of different dispositions)
Wisdom (perhaps split into Wisdom and Intuition, where Wisdom is how capable of grasping situations you are and Intuition is where you're capable of telling if someone is lying, whether there are mines about judging by signs on the floor etc)
MAYBE Perception

That's about the best way to sum up a stats system I can think of.
Pages: [1] 2 3