Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modding in decoration reactions  (Read 2393 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Modding in decoration reactions
« on: January 27, 2011, 07:13:30 pm »

Is it possible to decorate an item through a custom reaction? I'd like to include gem decoratons on weapons in a mod I'm working on.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding in decoration reactions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:58:03 pm »

I asked this a little moment ago, and it appears that no, it's not :(

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:27:36 pm »

not entirely true, but it depends on what you're aiming for. you can use the new IMPROVEMENT reaction format if you get creative.
The syntax is like this:[IMPROVEMENT:<chance>:<reagent target>:<type of improvement>:<mat tokens>]
   Supported types are COVERED, GLAZED, RINGS_HANGING and SPIKES.
 I've had limited success in having my weapons decorated with blood.
This was my reaction.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the result was "This is a steel pick. It is decorated with frozen mountain goat blood."

obviously, there are issues with the state of things, but for making gems that wouldn't be a problem. for your idea of decorating weapons with gems, I'd go with something like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:12:39 am »

Whoa! I am watching this thread. I've been working on getting shellac from lac bugs modded in. First it was for candy. But now.. now I see many uses, because of that GLAZED option. Beautiful.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:12:56 am »

keep in mind that it wont spread as a contaminant. I believe the decoration is kept in stasis like the egg whites. But if you're interested in coating weapons with poison, well, I think I've found a way to do it, but it may not work and if it does there will be a few caveats. The general idea is to make a one tile workshop and make a reaction for it that produces a liquid poison and requires a weapon as a reagent. the weapon is preserved via [PRESERVE_REAGENT]. The liquid is NOT produced to a container. the workshop must then be deconstructed, but when it is the contents will fall to the ground much the same as if you prematurely deconstruct your wagon resulting in the weapon on the ground and a pool of the poison. The issues I'm foreseeing is are that A) the poison MUST be dorf safe, as there's no way to make ONLY the weapon and ONLY the blade coated, and B) it may take some finagling to get the poison on to the weapon, as I'm not sure if it will toss the weapon to a different square or the same square as the poison. I need to put in the workshop and do some testing, but the theory is sound as far as I'm aware. If nothing else it can be used to make a poison lined entrance to your base.

EDIT: preliminary tests were met with mixed success. The reaction did produce pools of the contaminant (in this case, blood), but the weapon did not get a covering even if it landed in one of the pools, though the travel of dwarves did spread the blood, so it should act as a decent delivery system if nothing else. It produces the contaminant in the squares surrounding the workshop as well as the workshop itself, if you produce enough of it before deconstructing. I'm gonna make a separate thread for this; All of dwarfkind deserves to know!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:57:58 am by silverskull39 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:18:48 am »

You are definitely obsessed with poisons too much :). The person asked "how to make it beautiful", and you think about making it poisonous :).

So yeah, the answer to the initial question: totally possible.

the result was "This is a steel pick. It is decorated with frozen mountain goat blood."
You could always swap the material with something with an appropriate name, which has a different name for the frozen state (i.e. "smears of ...").
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 10:23:07 am »

Yeah, I totally misinterpreted Flaede's post  :P

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:54:42 pm »

I'd like to point out that with [CAN_USE_ARTIFACT], we can now reliably decorate artifacts.
31.19 is awesome.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:00:14 pm »

"This is a steel pick. It is decorated with frozen mountain goat blood."
You could always swap the material with something with an appropriate name, which has a different name for the frozen state.

I think the question was asked a couple weeks before IMPROVEMENT came in, so don't blame Girlinhat for giving false information.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 09:06:40 pm »

Yeah, at the time it wasn't possible.  Now my army is going to be decked out in technicolor spikes and it will be FABULOUS~

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 09:07:18 pm »

"This is a steel pick. It is decorated with frozen mountain goat blood."
You could always swap the material with something with an appropriate name, which has a different name for the frozen state.

I think the question was asked a couple weeks before IMPROVEMENT came in, so don't blame Girlinhat for giving false information.
Did anyone blame her? BAD PEOPLE! BAD! Bark bark :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 12:48:48 am »

Decorating. Can anything be "decorated" with a  custom reaction? I ask because honey glazed roast ham must happen.

Would this do it?

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 12:54:05 am »

As for the arguments used in the improvement tag what is the last one supposed to be? I've used:
Code: [Select]
[IMPROVEMENT:100:A:COVERED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B:NONE]for my improvement reaction, however I've found that it resulted in item a getting glazed with the reagent as opposed to covered. I have yet to try spikes/hanging rings, but I have found that if I use the above reaction again with the same reagent it does end up being covered in addition to being glazed.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 01:06:48 am »

It's the ITEM subtype. I've only seen it used so far with GLAZE_MAT and FIRED_MAT. Still poking through the raws, though.
[/quote]

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 01:09:41 am »

It's the ITEM subtype. I've only seen it used so far with GLAZE_MAT and FIRED_MAT. Still poking through the raws, though.

That's what I thought, but I was just wondering if anyone found any other arguments that work with it.
Pages: [1] 2