Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 338451 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1680 on: March 17, 2011, 07:13:22 pm »

I'm surprised Russia did not veto.  The instability in the middle east is causing high oil prices and they must love that.
Ayup. Their cars are running on ethanol, so they don't mind.

I was referring to the fact that Russia is a huge exporter of oil.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: March 17, 2011, 07:21:48 pm »

Let's hope those Air Strikes 'accidentally' happen to fall on Khaddafi's bunker.
!!&!!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: March 17, 2011, 07:30:14 pm »

Let's hope those Air Strikes 'accidentally' happen to fall on Khaddafi's bunker.

The U.S., French and English (which looks like will be doing the first run of the bombings) probably want this to end as fast as possible, given that Bahrain is a huge wild card.  They'll want full air superiority first, which shouldn't take too long at all.  After that it gets tricky.  How much fighting will you let the rebels do?  How many civilian casualties do you tolerate?  I really don't expect any boots on the ground, except for maybe a token UN peacekeeping force after Khadaffi is killed.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: March 17, 2011, 08:36:44 pm »

The thing is though, they did not just approve a No-Fly Zone. They approved All measures necessary to protect Libyan civilians.

ALL Measures Necessary.

France especially wants to have a real heavy intervention, to put an end to this. In my opinion, the only thing that guarantees the long term safety of the Libyan people is the death of Khaddafi and the complete removal of the government in Tripoli.
!!&!!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: March 17, 2011, 08:37:50 pm »

Hope it works.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: March 17, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: March 17, 2011, 09:01:33 pm »

Assuming it's true, and let's all hope to the God of Just Deserves that it is... Holy shit.  What did that take, about six hours, since he was promising to pound Benghazi into the dust?

Wait, accord to the article (which isn't exactly sourced, but who knows), it's not Qaddafi asking for a truce, but the loyalist military.  Once again, if true, that makes considerably more sense.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: March 17, 2011, 09:06:53 pm »

Well it seems like there will be mass desertion as soon as the first bomb drops.  Don't be surprised if you see hordes of loyalists surrender to CNN reporters.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: March 17, 2011, 09:29:33 pm »

Yeah, he's not surrendering, he's offering the rebels a chance to surrender, which is a bit of a 180 from "I WILL MURDER YOU ALL" less than 24 hours ago.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: March 17, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »

Of course, the closest the rebels ever came to "surrendering" was giving Gaddafi a small window that he could flee the country in and not get chased down and murdered afterwards. Since that ended a week ago, I imagine they'll settle for nothing less than blood at this point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: March 18, 2011, 07:18:21 am »

We can thanks Kadhafi for his insane threat and his blood spilling oath. Without that, the UN would not have moved.
But given that he painted a giant sign above his head reading "blood thirsty psychopath" it was difficult to justify anything else than a military intervention.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:07 am »

We can thanks Kadhafi for his insane threat and his blood spilling oath. Without that, the UN would not have moved.
But given that he painted a giant sign above his head reading "blood thirsty psychopath" it was difficult to justify anything else than a military intervention.

Its not so much justify... but more grand standing and getting epic bonus points.  I figure France predicted the way the crazy was going to go ahead of time and made the move for it.  See how quickly the US followed suit as soon as things were 'all clear' for the go-ahead... after a bit of secret dealings of course...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 18, 2011, 07:43:00 am »

E-3C AWACS is in place not far from Libyan air space. If you're a big nerd you can listen to Malta ATC here.
http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=lmml

If the Libyan foreign minister isn't just bullshitting (which isn't all that unlikely), the Gaddafi regime is now trying to play innocent puppy,  saying they will adhere to the resolution and stop all military ops, etc.

EDIT: Sounds like at least 6 NATO aircraft in Malta airspace. I think they're up to something.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:13:11 am by olemars »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 18, 2011, 11:46:37 am »

Hooray, I'm glad there is finally some intervention. I hope they will show much restraint in regards to strikes on military targets in civilian areas and traffic. Hopefully Qadaffi's forces might oust him and agree to elections or something to avoid facing Western air power.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: March 18, 2011, 11:51:37 am »

There are rumors that Gaddafi has been collecting bodies in preparation for NATO air strikes so they can be planted as "civilian casualties" wherever the bombs land.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 416