Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 338327 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1830 on: March 21, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

Well...based on this Marine Corps training outline, I'd say it does.  :o

.4  Discuss and locate the external fire extinguisher handle on the M1A1 tank.

The external fire extinguisher handle is located on the left side of the tank hull slightly forward of the NBC exhaust port.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: March 21, 2011, 04:05:01 pm »

Well...based on this Marine Corps training outline, I'd say it does.  :o

.4  Discuss and locate the external fire extinguisher handle on the M1A1 tank.

The external fire extinguisher handle is located on the left side of the tank hull slightly forward of the NBC exhaust port.

And our government WANTS these tanks. Absolute idiots!

Should've bought the leopards.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: March 21, 2011, 04:05:39 pm »

I suspect that you can disable that lever from the inside.  Which is probably part of "discuss".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: March 21, 2011, 04:06:19 pm »

Damn. Well, I've heard a lot of good things about the Abrams, so I'm going to assume that there haven't actually been any cases where enemy combatants have been able to pull it.

I mean, it's not like an American tank operates on its lonesome, right? Combined arms or some variation of the buddy system must be in place, right?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: March 21, 2011, 04:06:43 pm »

Look, sometimes tanks will burst into flame. This is bad! If someone gets out of the tank and pulls the fire extinguisher lever, this is good! The amount of money saved from a tank not becoming a total wreck is probably worth the chance of a random guy rushing an Abrams in an attempt to inconvenience the crew.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: March 21, 2011, 04:08:23 pm »

Look, sometimes tanks will burst into flame. This is bad! If someone gets out of the tank and pulls the fire extinguisher lever, this is good! The amount of money saved from a tank not becoming a total wreck is probably worth the chance of a random guy rushing an Abrams in an attempt to inconvenience the crew.
You know, I'm surprised we haven't heard of such an incident.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: March 21, 2011, 04:12:45 pm »

But, uh, surely pulling a lever inside the tank would be better than climbing out of a burning tank in a presumably hostile environment to do it. I sorta get the idea, but you picked a bad senario.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 21, 2011, 04:12:53 pm »

Think I found it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Image stolen from WP article)

Edit: There's a handle inside too as well as an automatic trigger.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: March 21, 2011, 04:14:01 pm »

Right.

That looks nothing like a 'pull here to distract the crew' lever.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: March 21, 2011, 04:17:37 pm »

Pull The Lever /R
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1840 on: March 21, 2011, 04:19:04 pm »

Right.

That looks nothing like a 'pull here to distract the crew' lever.

Did you expect an oversize red push button with a flashing light that says "don't push me!"?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: March 21, 2011, 04:19:59 pm »

The image in my mind was a little red handle on a pull cord.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: March 21, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »

That appears to be a dirty red handle on a pull cord.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: March 21, 2011, 06:05:49 pm »

If grenades can be tossed out, can they also be tossed in?

Some designs. The Germans mounted their infamous "bouncing betty" mines outside the turret much as modern tanks now have smoke dischargers, fired electrically. With earlier designs there were a few internally-operated escape hatches or direct viewports one could drop a grenade out of or shoot a pistol through. Some designs, such as the Soviet IS-2, had a rear-facing machine gun on the turret that could "sweep" the engine deck or a tank farther back in a column.

Interestingly I'm finding that the Abrams fire extinguishers use halon in concentrations safe to breathe, just mildly annoying. Where's Strife? But that's definately the lever. I imagine if there were a problem with OPFOR actually getting that close to a tank (A.) we have a serious problem with our tank's  forgetting the wingman system and infantry forgetting to defend the tanks from close assault and (B.) some irritated sergeant would weld a metal sheet over it.

The current parlance to request close-assaulting infantry be removed from your vehicle is "scratch my back". The Germans did this frequently on the Eastern front, where gasoline bottles and crowbars were sometimes all Soviet troops had to kill tanks. The Germans on the other hand had the fan freaking tastic idea to put a couple big magnets on a hollow-charge warhead with a hand grenade fuse. The result?

Die Hafthohlladung 3

Quite possibly the best hand-held tank killer ever devised, in terms of sheer penetrating power. Unscrew the little knob at the top, stick the magnets against the armor plate, and pull the knob which is attached to the fuse assembly. Five seconds later and you've a hole through 140mm RHA. Getting close enough is quite difficult, of course, but it was tremendously effective in ambushes, close fighting, or defending trenchlines.

Also, apologies for using a photograph from apparently a rather distasteful site. It was the best thing google image search could produce.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: March 21, 2011, 06:45:56 pm »

Die Hafthohlladung 3

Quite possibly the best hand-held tank killer ever devised, in terms of sheer penetrating power. Unscrew the little knob at the top, stick the magnets against the armor plate, and pull the knob which is attached to the fuse assembly. Five seconds later and you've a hole through 140mm RHA. Getting close enough is quite difficult, of course, but it was tremendously effective in ambushes, close fighting, or defending trenchlines.

I found a cross-section of the device on another site.  Cool idea.  The site also mentions how the Germans used anti-magnetic paste on their own tanks to prevent such things.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Back on topic: I hear things are going poorly for the rebels in Misurata.  Anyone heard more on it?
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 416