Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 334271 times)

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #6165 on: July 27, 2014, 05:14:19 am »

snip
I fully believe that both sides aren't fully in the right and are not acting out of pure logic but more out of feelings.
with that being said there'll be an end and it probably won't be a pretty one.
after it's all over Gaza will still be there for better or worse and we'll have to live with them as our neighbors and the ever going cycle will go on as it always has been.
maybe someday both our governments will understand that their actions won't lead into any progress and will think of a more creative peaceful solution but i doubt i'll be seeing that in my lifetime as much as i'd like to.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: July 27, 2014, 05:44:42 am »

S'good you're somewhat self-aware, Kris. Need more folks like that on both sides :-\

But nah, going by rough calculations y'all only have another 20-25 years or so on the outside before gaza's just gone. Knock over 8+% (percent of the population displaced the last time I saw a number. Probably rising, ha!) of the population's housing every time Israel invades, do it once every two years, contribute to preventing reconstruction efforts one way or another... eventually all there will be is rubble and graves. Total fiscal cost to the Israeli government: 25 billion or so, if cost is in line with current estimates and stays steady. Even be able to calculate the estimated cost in lives whenever Israel decides to stop this particular invasion, with helpful breakdowns in case you happen to not care about the lives of one side or another. Be interesting to see comparison numbers for maintaining the cycle of invasion vs... well, not. Wonder if the israeli government/IDF has actually crunched the numbers... conceptually, as the ostensible rational actors in this case (yes... yes, the rest of you can stop laughing), I'd expect it, even if they're not choosing the path of least cost.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: July 27, 2014, 06:19:32 am »

Just a boy playing at the beach  :-\
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203631575484369

In other news, Israel decided to wait and see if Hamas will comply to his own declaration of a 24 humanitarian truce coming into effect at 14:00. if it will, israel will comply as well.

14:04, fired rockets. 14:07, fired rockets. 14:17, fired rockets.

Hamas doesn't even listen to himself anymore.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:23:59 am by burningpet »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: July 27, 2014, 06:38:03 am »

S'good you're somewhat self-aware, Kris. Need more folks like that on both sides :-\
No, we do not need more folks who believe that Gazans want to behead everybody
But nah, going by rough calculations y'all only have another 20-25 years or so on the outside before gaza's just gone. Knock over 8+% (percent of the population displaced the last time I saw a number. Probably rising, ha!) of the population's housing every time Israel invades, do it once every two years, contribute to preventing reconstruction efforts one way or another... eventually all there will be is rubble and graves.
Well not really, Gaza has a very high birth rate due to the crushing poverty it experiences.  If Israel wanted to get rid of them they'd need to launch a serious ethnic cleansing campaign (not that there aren't Israeli politicians advocating this).
Just a boy playing at the beach  :-\
Can I just take a time out from pointing out burningpet's incredible racism to express admiration at his willingness to launch a smear campaign against anything the IDF blows up.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: July 27, 2014, 06:43:09 am »

No, we do not need more folks who believe that Gazans want to behead everybody.
Correct. More folks at least somewhat aware of the atrocities their side is committing is a good thing, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: July 27, 2014, 06:53:43 am »

I've been thinking about this a bit, and Israelis probably have the mentality they do because they are surrounded by hostile countries. This is similar to the Soviet Union in a lot of ways.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: July 27, 2014, 07:20:08 am »

This is similar to the Soviet Union in a lot of ways.

I apologise for generalising but I am often struck by how similar Russians and Israelis are to one another. I suppose the majority of Israelis are Russian though.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: July 27, 2014, 07:35:25 am »

Judaism is also considered ethnicity that converting from its religion doesn't spare one from being a jew.

Displaying a dislike and conspiracy theories about jews, is like doing so against Roma people. that's not being an atheist or anti-religion, that's being racist.
You're the first one to mention conspiracy theories. Why so defensive?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: July 27, 2014, 08:29:03 am »

I apologise for generalising but I am often struck by how similar Russians and Israelis are to one another. I suppose the majority of Israelis are Russian though.

Similar only to someone who is a complete blind :o.  And no, the majority of israelis are not russians.  :o

Let's make that clear, i am not shocked because i am offended by the comparison. i am shocked because this statement is totally nonsense and display deep and profound ignorance in everything related either to the israeli mentality, the russian, or both.

In other news, turkey might send battleships to accompany their "blockade breaking" flotilla.
http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART2/601/394.html?hp=1&cat=666&loc=2

The thing is, the naval blockade is completely legal, it is the land blockade that is debate able. also, israel have said multiple times that such flotillas are simply a provocation, since they can just unload their goods at israeli ports and those will be delivered to Gaza by the land crossings. my guess, if they do, they wont have NATO to back them and such an action will only further hurt the gradually islamizing turkey.

"the Chair and Vice-Chair of a UN Panel of Inquiry concluded in the Palmer Report that the naval blockade is legal and had to be judged isolated from the restrictions on goods reaching Gaza via the land crossings."
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:49:04 am by burningpet »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: July 27, 2014, 08:45:00 am »

I've been thinking about this a bit, and Israelis probably have the mentality they do because they are surrounded by hostile countries. This is similar to the Soviet Union in a lot of ways.
That actually makes sense if you think about it.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: July 27, 2014, 09:23:50 am »

Similar only to someone who is a complete blind :o.  And no, the majority of israelis are not russians.  :o

Let's make that clear, i am not shocked because i am offended by the comparison. i am shocked because this statement is totally nonsense and display deep and profound ignorance in everything related either to the israeli mentality, the russian, or both.

I think he meant the current behavior of the leaders rather than the people, and to be fair, the earlier comparison was to Soviet Russia and Putin is using a Soviet mentality.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:27:55 am by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:35 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong but do the ancestors of the majority of Israelis come from the former lands of the Russian Empire? Ukraine, Russia, Belarus etc. I know that dialect of Yiddish is the strongest today.

EDIT:

My sincerest apologies. I just checked wikipedia and 20% or slightly more than that of Israelis come from the former USSR, the majority are Mizrahi i.e. Jews native to the Middle East. I wonder what things would have been like after WW2 and when Israel was first created? The Soviet Jews couldn't leave the USSR could they?

The way I've heard Israeli people talk about the world, whether they're national leaders or the citizenry, always reminds me of Russians. You actually remind me the most. A lot of the things you've said about the conflict in Gaza could have come out of the post-USSR politics thread.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:14:35 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 416