Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 334320 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1725 on: March 19, 2011, 08:52:30 am »

If world leaders used assassins instead of armies to resolve conflicts, the world would be a much better place.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: March 19, 2011, 08:55:21 am »

If world leaders used assassins instead of armies to resolve conflicts, the world would be a much better place.

You see, my friend, if we took out the leverage for research of new technologies that was war and still is, we'd end up being less advanced than we actually are now. In retrospect, wars of old come out all nice and dandy now. For a common example, go look up how the Internet was born, will ya?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:10:24 am by LordSlowpoke »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: March 19, 2011, 08:56:54 am »

They could use really high tech assassins :P

But yeah, such secret war would heavily rely on intel, which should push IT forward nicely.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: March 19, 2011, 09:55:32 am »

You see, my friend, if we took out the leverage for research of new technologies that was war and still is, we'd end up being less advanced than we actually are now. In retrospect, wars of old come out all nice and dandy now. For a common example, go look up how the Internet was born, will ya?
I'm pretty sure all the countless victims of wars across the history of mankind would prefer living without internet, or any other technology related to arms race, than being dead, raped, mutilated, etc.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: March 19, 2011, 10:35:21 am »

I'm pretty sure all the countless victims of wars across the history of mankind would prefer living without internet, or any other technology related to arms race, than being dead, raped, mutilated, etc.

Feel free to say I'm soulless, but these have been victims of progress. Nothing can change the fact that for every new thing there's a person that spent at least a fair bit of work for it, and there will be even more people that will do even more work repurposing it for worse things than the inventor wanted it to be.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 19, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »

It's on.
At least one vehicle hit already.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: March 19, 2011, 01:50:26 pm »

"We will be supporting our European and Canadian allies and our Arab partners." -Hilary Clinton

Germany says military intervention not the right course. Well then when will it be the right course?

Instead they said they will help more in Afghanistan.

All from CNN.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: March 19, 2011, 02:24:04 pm »

The Germans don't like wars or military actions, I would have thought this was obvious. It doesn't mean they're right, but you can see why they say it.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: March 19, 2011, 02:54:22 pm »

Latest is that tomahawks are hitting tripoli now. US Navy must be happy, been a few years since they got to launch those.

edit: took like 5 seconds for libyan state tv to claim there are civilian casualties.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:04:35 pm by olemars »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: March 19, 2011, 03:09:46 pm »

On CNN, fighter gets and tomahawk missiles in the air.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: March 19, 2011, 03:16:05 pm »

"Western fighter jets are in the air THERE ARE PILES OF BODIES EVERYWHERE IN PLACES YOU'RE NOT CURRENTLY LOOKING AT."

I wonder what the UN'll do when he does start framing civilian casualties. I mean, there's always the chance that he's not actually framing them.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: March 19, 2011, 03:16:22 pm »

On CNN, fighter gets and tomahawk missiles in the air.

Does the footage look anything like this?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-8Eevs2IL7y8/uss_missouri_gulf_war_tomahawks/

Because man did that footage get overplayed back then.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 19, 2011, 03:18:19 pm »

This is going to sound really weird, but man, what was it with the 90's and background music like that? It sucks.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 19, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »

Chances are they'll play that same clip, I bet all the networks are frantically digging for stock footage of tomahawk launches as we speak

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 19, 2011, 03:26:01 pm »

This is going to sound really weird, but man, what was it with the 90's and background music like that? It sucks.

It sure does. I couldn't find a clean news clip, though.

Chances are they'll play that same clip, I bet all the networks are frantically digging for stock footage of tomahawk launches as we speak

I'm sure they will, the Gulf War is what made CNN what it is today. They wont even have to dig too hard - those clips I linked were played like 100 times an hour, it felt like. They've got to still be around (without the crappy music, even!)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 416