Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 334170 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1785 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:56 pm »

I realize that he's at least somewhat insane but does he really think his smallish amount of loyal charges in an army in the capital of an already comparatively tiny country is really going to stand up to the international community?

Khadaffi might be hoping that things go crazy enough in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia that the rest of the world turns its attention there.  Or that the rest of the world has no stomach for civilian casualties.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:33 am »

Edit:
US air force is having a blast with callsigns. Mid air refuellers are EXXON. Attack aircraft are MAUL, PANTHER, SATAN and so on. Electronic jammer aircraft are SHEEN.
Source?

There's a crazy dutch guy who listen in on open ATC comms traffic and HF radios. You can read the twitter feed here.

Or if you want direct confirmation you can listen to the squadrons as they transit through maltese airspace and go tactical here.

He's made a few recordings too, like psyops from an EC130 and this unmarked plane known for "unofficial US government business" landing at the Tripoli military airbase not long before the no-fly-zone was decided on.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:13:37 am by olemars »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 21, 2011, 06:41:20 am »

Two RAF Tornado GR.4 fighter bombers just buzzed my office building, fully loaded with munitions and extra fuel tanks. They were so low I could almost read the labels on the bombs. Very cool, but someone should perhaps tell them western Norway isn't really on the flight route to Libya.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:45:43 am by olemars »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 21, 2011, 07:00:38 am »

Edit:
US air force is having a blast with callsigns. Mid air refuellers are EXXON. Attack aircraft are MAUL, PANTHER, SATAN and so on. Electronic jammer aircraft are SHEEN.
Source?

There's a crazy dutch guy who listen in on open ATC comms traffic and HF radios. You can read the twitter feed here.

Or if you want direct confirmation you can listen to the squadrons as they transit through maltese airspace and go tactical here.

He's made a few recordings too, like psyops from an EC130 and this unmarked plane known for "unofficial US government business" landing at the Tripoli military airbase not long before the no-fly-zone was decided on.

I was about to make a comment that this guy is bordering on Wikileaks irresponsibility by divulging flight info like that, but then I saw this on his Twitter feed:
@USAfricaCommand be advised, one of your WEASEL's F-16CJ from 23th FS Spangdahlem Germany has his transponder Mode-S on! NOT secure!
about 3 hours ago via web

Ok, the guy has some big brass balls. Actually tweeting the people you're snooping to tell them effectively, "Hey, your shoelaces are untied..."  :D

Two RAF Tornado GR.4 fighter bombers just buzzed my office building, fully loaded with munitions and extra fuel tanks. They were so low I could almost read the labels on the bombs. Very cool, but someone should perhaps tell them western Norway isn't really on the flight route to Libya.

Tripoli, Trondheim...same difference.  :P

Shit's starting to get real in Yemen. The commanding general of the Yemeni 1st Armored Division has defected to the protesters and deployed the tanks and APCs of his unit to protect the protesters in Sana'a. Meanwhile the President's own tribe is backing a different potential successor, while his household troops have taken up positions around the palace.

And protesters actually set fire to a Ba'ath Party building in Syria, the first time that Syrian protests have gotten beyond anything more than a few angry chants before being broken up.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 21, 2011, 07:08:27 am »

Shit's starting to get real in Yemen. The commanding general of the Yemeni 1st Armored Division has defected to the protesters and deployed the tanks and APCs of his unit to protect the protesters in Sana'a. Meanwhile the President's own tribe is backing a different potential successor, while his household troops have taken up positions around the palace.

But has the gunboat fired yet?

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #1790 on: March 21, 2011, 12:04:45 pm »

Redking, isn't open ATC comms traffic open?
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1791 on: March 21, 2011, 12:25:47 pm »

The in France is the only party opposing the war is the "front national", nationalistic extreme right. In Belgium they were unanimous, but in Germany, they all seems to oppose war because of Afganistan's fiasco.
I'm not sure about the US.

The French extreme right is probably the US' Green Party. Or Liberal Crime Squad.

The US opposition to the war is a bit mixed from what I've seen; on the one hand, the expense is quite high, and we are sensitive to that, but on the other, it seems like this won't be the Iraq/Afganistan mire.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 21, 2011, 12:28:52 pm »

Libyan rebels are advancing, thanks to the no-fly zone and a few air raids.

Stuff is going down this year.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 21, 2011, 12:51:06 pm »

Yes, but just because something is public domain doesn't mean it should necessarily be broadcasted to the whole world in realtime. There is practical intelligence value to having a blow-by-blow of what aircraft are inbound against you with a rough timmetable to gauge when they'll be in your airspace. It's not operationally precise enough to be classified, but it's still something I'd rather see kept quiet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 21, 2011, 01:26:23 pm »

If it's THAT public, you can assume that if a civilian has it, the bad guys have it.  It's important to let them point out what's there, instead of hushing them up.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:45 pm »

Yes, but just because something is public domain doesn't mean it should necessarily be broadcasted to the whole world in realtime.

Welcome to the 21st century, where that just isn't an option.  I'd like the think the military is smart enough to realize this themselves, and they've always been perfectly aware of the possibility of people in the area, i.e. the people you're at war with, can pick up your radio traffic.  On the one hand, it doesn't sound like any of it is particularly sensitive; while at the same time, it can certainly be tactically useful and they're using incredibly obvious callsigns for everything.

Point is, even if it sounds a little silly, the US Air Force probably has this whole open-traffic radio-security thing figured out by now, they've only been at it since the 1930s.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 21, 2011, 01:53:50 pm »

HUSKY 1.1 is going to go tactical sometime soon.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 21, 2011, 01:58:52 pm »

TAC-DOG.  Woof woof.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 21, 2011, 02:01:10 pm »

TAC-DOG.  Woof woof.
America uses dogs in air force. tests successful.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 21, 2011, 02:04:36 pm »

Sensitive stuff is on different channels, encrypted and in burst traffic. They can avoid civilian traffic but it's impractical and there's no real point for this sort of operation. The B2's don't bother much with ATC for instance.

HUSKY are canuck flying tankships by the way.

Edit: Crazy dutchies
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:07:33 pm by olemars »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 416