Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 66767 times)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »

The graphics look suspiciously similar to Stonesense tiles..
They admit that it's the stonesense graphics in one of the videos' description
Yeah, he got permission and stuff too. 

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 10:17:46 pm »

it may have something going for it, i can see this being a formidable competitor against dwarf fortress in 2 or three years.
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 11:48:23 pm »

To me it looks like a pretty blatant clone, especially because of the Stonesense graphics.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 01:22:51 am »

You guys all bash on these games.  :-\
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 01:24:06 am »

You guys all bash on these games.  :-\
It was one hell of a learning curve, of corse I'm going to look down at people who havn't climbed it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 01:31:26 am »

I usually try to give these things the benefit of the doubt.....

But it seems like they've ripped more than half of Toady's design. Even the terminology is the same. That kind of bugs me. Way to do your own work, fella.

Of course, coming from an EL, my fake-o-meter is still tingling.

I would like to thank the developers of Dwarf Fortress, not only for entertaining me, but for giving me the inspiration to try my teeth on something like this. Also, if the developers of Dwarf Fortress feel that my personal little project (that could evolve in any possible direction) makes it harder for them to promote their own work, I'm open for discussion. But I think there is room in the world for more than one city/cave builder with dwarves inside.

Lol, I think the only thing Toady will care about is how much of your "from scratch using Stonesense and every term and design from the first 20 minutes of DF" is coming directly from his code. Because signs point to "a lot." I find it really hard to believe he was lazy enough to just call his mushrooms "Plump Helmets", but motivated enough to write his raws.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:37:10 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 01:33:54 am »

If it's real, the more the merrier.

I think it's rather unoriginal to go with *another* dwarf fort, though. As in, the inspiration is really obvious.
He should change that bit. If it was up to me I'd recommend him to make a sci-fi themed game (something on the lines of "Outpost meets Dwarf Fortress"). That would be nice.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 01:41:00 am »

It actually looks neat, if it was real, i might give it a try.
was kind of a stupid idea, DF is the same thing and better anyhow.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:48:43 am by Carcanken »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 01:45:29 am »

I'm not going to bash it because its similar to dwarf fortress, but because its a blatant clone. The guy literally just took stuff from DF and made another thing like it, except it uses an isometric interface. While I usualy am all for indie game development (even more when its inspired by DF), it doesn't look like the guy put any effort on this apart from basic coding. Basicaly he just got tons of the most basic elements from dwarf fortress and copypaste'd them on a prettier interface, IE its not a new game, its def a clone.

Assuming its not fake, its not hard to see this guy selling it for gullibe people minecraft style.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:47:58 am by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 01:47:30 am »

Lol, I think the only thing Toady will care about is how much of your "from scratch using Stonesense and every term and design from the first 20 minutes of DF" is coming directly from his code. Because signs point to "a lot." I find it really hard to believe he was lazy enough to just call his mushrooms "Plump Helmets", but motivated enough to write his raws.

Yea, this too. Toady owns intellectual property here, and while he is willing to freely distribute he's product, that does not make it share ware that will loan itself to anybody who can hook up an interface. The plump helmet belongs to toady, and is not public domain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 01:48:46 am »

Which this guy seems completely oblivious too, even in spirit. That's why I'm annoyed.

Doubled by the fact that, without using Stone Sense, he wouldn't even have anything to show people right now. It's like "Hey, see how well I can put other people's work together with my UI?"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:50:19 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 01:50:49 am »

Doubled by the fact that, without using Stone Sense, he wouldn't even have anything to show people right now.
He says he got permission from the Stone Sense devs to use the tiles.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 01:52:53 am »

Doubled by the fact that, without using Stone Sense, he wouldn't even have anything to show people right now.
Well Stone Sense belongs to who ever made it, and if they are willing to share it around for free, I say good for them. Certain design features belong to Toady, and if he is willing to share those around, good for him.

However, if the maker of this clone didn't ask toady for the right to take from he's work, there is a world of hurt in that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 01:53:16 am »

Which I read above. So what? He's still doing what he's done with the core of his "project": taken someone elses work to present as his own. If the SS people were cool with it, more power to them. If Toady is cool with it, more to him. That's not going to stop me from going "so what have you actually done that's original, besides your splash screen?"

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 01:54:17 am »

Well Stone Sense belongs to who ever made it, and if they are willing to share it around for free, I say good for them. Certain design features belong to Toady, and if he is willing to share those around, good for him.

However, if the maker of this clone didn't ask toady for the right to take from he's work, there is a world of hurt in that.
Design Features?

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds in light of the modern games industry?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25