Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 66443 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 01:55:28 am »

I think we all get that Realm. It's not about the letter of the law, it's about the spirit, ya know? Every game is inspired by some other game....but jesus, at least people take the time to give it some different names as an indication of some original thinking.

If this guy is actually legit, then maybe it was a little premature to start showing off his excellent copy/pasta skills before he'd gone back and done the actual work that constitutes an original idea. But for someone that sees this project "going in any directions", seems awfully suspect that it shows up here, posted by an EL, instead of in the main DF forums?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:58:02 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 01:56:40 am »

Which I read above. So what? He's still doing what he's done with the core of what he's showing people: taken someone elses work to present as his own. If the SS people were cool with it, more power to them. If Toady is cool with it, more to him. That's not going to stop me from going "so what have you actually done that's original, besides your splash screen?"
I agree, he hasn't really done anything original so far, but it's still interesting.  As far as I can tell, he hasn't actually released anything to the public and is just tinkering around at the moment.  Like those guys on youtube that show of their guitar skills by playing famous songs.  If he releases it I'll be a little less charitable.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 01:57:16 am »

Design Features?

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds in light of the modern games industry?

Yea, I know, but you should atleast rename your mushrooms. I couldn't get away with calling somebody 'Samus' and have her in red mega man outfit and get away with it.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 01:58:07 am »

I think we all get that Realm.
Not Max apparently.
It's not about the letter of the law, it's about the spirit, ya know? Every game is inspired by some other game....but jesus, at least people take the time to give it some different names as an indication of some original thinking.
At least he's making a game, right? He's trying at least. Sure he's copied DF to hell but should we really be yelling at people for trying to perpetuate our hobby?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 01:59:21 am »

At least he's making a game, right? He's trying at least. Sure he's copied DF to hell but should we really be yelling at people for trying to perpetuate our hobby?
Yes we dam well should. If I crash my model plane into somebody elses, I should put down the controller and go away and think about what I did. Being a hobby is not a free pass to take what you want.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 02:00:49 am »

It's got to be done with a bit of creative integrity though, otherwise it's just whoring out our hobby to those who are capable.

Max makes a good point too. Toady isn't really capable of defending his work the way other developers are. It sort of seems like sometimes people are ok with that fact, and figure "hey, if I have fun, who really cares?" I sort of figure, as fans of this hobby, we owe Toady a little more respect than that.

I mean, the guy even hints he may at some point decide to earn money off this. If that's not insulting to someone who creates for a living, what isn't? If he's actually using Toady's code and wants to make money off it....it's basically Khazad 2.0.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 02:02:09 am »

Yes we dam well should. If I crash my model plane into somebody elses, I should put down the controller and go away and think about what I did. Being a hobby is not a free pass to take what you want.
He's not hurting DF in any way.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 02:02:48 am »

And if he's actually using Toady's code? You're totally cool with that as long as you get your game on?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 02:04:00 am »

You really think this guy made this game using Toady's code?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 02:04:26 am »

He's not hurting DF in any way.
There have been other clones that started out looking all innocent, before they turned evil and Toady had to get involved.

I'm not saying this is one, I'm just saying the maker should do he's own leg work and either get permission to use toadys stuff (And all it would take is a polite email and a bit of luck) or think of new things to put in.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 02:05:01 am »

There have been other clones that started out looking all innocent, before they turned evil and Toady had to get involved.
My curiosity is piqued
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 02:05:39 am »

While game features are not exactly copyrighted, DF in itself is, and is distributed for free. If a person essentialy takes the same thing, using same names, structure, etc, and sells it, then theres be ground for lawsuit there. Even though dwarf fortress is distributed for free, its not public domain, and any person with half a brain will see it is in fact a blatant clone of DF with much less features.
No, civilization sims with dwarf in them are not copyrighted, but dwarf fortress as dwarf fortress is, and if you take DF and this and compare them side by side, it doesn't take alot of brain cells to realize that this is not just "another civilization sim with dwarves in it", but rather a dwarf fortress clone in its entirety.

My curiosity is piqued

Wait wha? My curiosity is also piqued.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 02:06:21 am »

He's obviously done some of his own work. His own naming system. He's simplified some of the options in world gen.

And he's obviously borrowed heavily in ideas. Without getting his client and see what the file structure is, I couldn't say. Copying of ideas is irritating, but I can live with that. Ripping the file structure, and their contents, Toady created to facilitate his own game, I am not.

But rather than answering my question with a question Realm, how about an answer on mine? 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:08:03 am by nenjin »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 02:06:46 am »

Little too early to rip into this?
I am coding for myself right now, with no intention to sell anything or release the project under any form.
If it's illegal, toady will get involved. For all we know, he has permission to make this game, so it might be better to get a Toady statement before going further down this.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2011, 02:07:12 am »

My curiosity is piqued
I shall see if I can find one of the threads, as I forgot the name of said clone. It might be a few pages back though...

Long story short though, some guy copyed DF, but not as well (With isometric graphics of corse) then started saying we should donate to him and not toady.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25