Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 66789 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #360 on: May 17, 2011, 11:46:46 am »

Fair enough about simultaneous mouse/keyboard support.

I still disagree that DF's interface is 'terrible.' I think people like to pick on it because it's vogue to do so. It doesn't deserve as much crap as it gets.

It really does.  I've introduced around 15 people to DF.  None of them could be bothered to figure out the interface.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Chunes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 17, 2011, 12:44:49 pm »

The problem is that you assume DF should appeal to everybody. Do you get angry when no one is interested in your favorite topic of conversation too?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 17, 2011, 01:01:54 pm »

The problem is that you assume DF should appeal to everybody. Do you get angry when no one is interested in your favorite topic of conversation too?

Strawman fallacy to the max.  Also, neither situation made me angry and I did not imply as such.

Anyway, most of those people were extremely interested in the game and the possibilities it holds, but were put off almost instantly be the interface.  I almost was myself.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 17, 2011, 01:15:02 pm »

I still disagree that DF's interface is 'terrible.' I think people like to pick on it because it's vogue to do so. It doesn't deserve as much crap as it gets.

It really does.  I've introduced around 15 people to DF.  None of them could be bothered to figure out the interface.

This is the same experience for me. People that love technical games that I introduce to DF hate the interface and refuse to play. Further examples include the Your Earliest Dwarf Fortress Memories thread (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77039.msg1968436#msg1968436 ) where plenty of people gave up working out how to make things happen before later comming back to give DF another try.

DwarvesH - Suggestion for when you asked how would we like things done differently. Build walls how you would dig! 10x10 DF build area limit makes for time consuming constructions!

I appreciate all constructive feedback and am looking forward to such suggestions. Unfortunately, I do not understand what you mean here. Would you please elaborate?
In DF, constructing a wall requires expanding a selection area (using the umhk keys) with a maximum expanded area reaching 10x10. So say you want to build a wall 20x1 long, you need to first select the wall option, then press k(or u) 10 times, place your 10x1, select the material and then do it all over again to get your 20x1 wall.

So obviously, building a wall by click dragging or point to point selection would be much less time consuming than the system in place for DF, though on reflection im sure this is already how you intend to do it. And yes everyone, im aware there was a time when DF only let you place a single 1x1 at a time.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

DwarvesH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 17, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »

Well the game is great. A little buggy, but great. Only with the interface I have problems.

DwarvesH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 17, 2011, 02:01:17 pm »

DwarvesH - Suggestion for when you asked how would we like things done differently. Build walls how you would dig! 10x10 DF build area limit makes for time consuming constructions!

I appreciate all constructive feedback and am looking forward to such suggestions. Unfortunately, I do not understand what you mean here. Would you please elaborate?
In DF, constructing a wall requires expanding a selection area (using the umhk keys) with a maximum expanded area reaching 10x10. So say you want to build a wall 20x1 long, you need to first select the wall option, then press k(or u) 10 times, place your 10x1, select the material and then do it all over again to get your 20x1 wall.

So obviously, building a wall by click dragging or point to point selection would be much less time consuming than the system in place for DF, though on reflection im sure this is already how you intend to do it. And yes everyone, im aware there was a time when DF only let you place a single 1x1 at a time.

A yes, now I understand what you want. No problems here. Check out this post with all the information on the current state of walls:
http://dwarvesh.blogspot.com/2011/03/33-i-feel-like-there-is-impenetrable.html

Roofs are not supported yet, neither is building floors :). And you run into the risk of walling your dwarves in if you designate a very big area. There is no way to optimize it, especially since some other dwarf can come and block a passage on a task not related to the wall building. So it is safer to issue small areas at once, wait for them to be finished and then add new ones. But this is done by dragging the mouse, keys 6 and 1 (or 6 and 2). Or by using the buttons.

Edit: edited to resolve misplaced "quote" tag.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:13:39 am by DwarvesH »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]