Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 66814 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2011, 02:08:35 am »

I think that was Khazad, and Khazad didn't begin well, nor did it end well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2011, 02:08:49 am »

And if he's actually using Toady's code? You're totally cool with that as long as you get your game on?

If he's stealing code and using it for profit, then yes, that is stealing. But if he's taking ideas from other games because he wants to make a video game, good for him!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2011, 02:10:15 am »

But if he's taking ideas from other games because he wants to make a video game, good for him!
Well, it's getting fairly close to plagerism from what we see right now, and that is the issue, I doubt any code was stolen.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2011, 02:10:22 am »

I think that was Khazad, and Khazad didn't begin well, nor did it end well.
Bingo. Thank you.
God that was messy by the end.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2011, 02:12:31 am »

Could someone provide more info on Khazad?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2011, 02:13:06 am »

I'm all in support of that. I'm even in support of starting from something, even if it's most of DF, conceptually.

That's not the vibe I'm getting from this at all. This really seems like he's done the GUI work and some selective cutting of features, and laid Stone Sense on top of it so it has a graphical presentation. And that reeks of theft.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2011, 02:14:52 am »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2011, 02:17:36 am »

I'm all in support of that. I'm even in support of starting from something, even if it's most of DF, conceptually.

That's not the vibe I'm getting from this at all. This really seems like he's done the GUI work and some selective cutting of features, and laid Stone Sense on top of it so it has a graphical presentation. And that reeks of theft.

Reading his Blog and it actually sounds like he went "Well, DF is awesome, so, if I were able to reverse engineer DF then I would be awesome!" and then decided to release/document the product.

Download is here.
Not the program itself, but why it was malicious and a timeline or some such.
And here's the drama thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58796.0
Thank you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2011, 02:18:07 am »

Let's be honest Realmfighter, from what he have seen, he isn't makeing 'a game', he is remaking DF under a new name.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2011, 02:18:59 am »

Okay.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2011, 02:19:31 am »

Ohhh so thats what happened to impaler. He was sort of a jackass but I guess I wasn't around when he tried to make khazad into something more then a half assed visualizer.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2011, 02:22:02 am »

Reading his Blog and it actually sounds like he went "Well, DF is awesome, so, if I were able to reverse engineer DF then I would be awesome!" and then decided to release/document the product.

Read the Khazad thread.

I think you'll find Toady's stance on "reverse engineering" and "Oh I may sell this for money, who knows?!" is now quite clear.

He doesn't like it. There isn't shit he can do about it, other than prevent them from advertising on his board. But it IS an issue to him. This guy hasn't been actively trying to interfere with Toady's donations like impaler, but what he's doing is essentially the same thing.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2011, 02:24:42 am »

I say if this clone dosn't get it's act together, and build it's own identity, I'm against it.

I'm all for dwarf fortress inspired games, even referances to DF in games, but there is always a line.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2011, 02:26:34 am »

Read the Khazad thread.

I think you'll find Toady's stance on "reverse engineering" and "Oh I may sell this for money, who knows?!" is now quite clear.

He doesn't like it. There isn't shit he can do about it, other than prevent them from advertising on his board. But it IS an issue to him. This guy hasn't been actively trying to interfere with Toady's donations like impaler, but what he's doing is essentially the same thing.
Reverse Engineer probably wasn't the best word to use, it being loaded and all.

Using parsed output from DF's hardcoded stuff, it seems.

He's not trying to steal the game for himself, he's seeing if he can make the game by himself.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25