Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Reclaiming Battlefailed  (Read 97333 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaiming Battlefailed
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 12:59:57 pm »

Floors Over Goo would work, but the most important portion of it (the stuff at the entrance) is IIRC already on constructed floors. I think liberal application of roads will help.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 02:54:17 pm »

What happens to goo if the floor is de- and re-constructed?
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 04:04:34 pm »

Wow, what a reclaim.  Your resume is outstanding, good luck and keep up the fine work!  It's great to see the old place again.

What happens to goo if the floor is de- and re-constructed?

IIRC, it gets rid of the goo, but the road method covers a greater area, and you can built it over the goo without necessarily stepping into it.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 10:53:18 pm »

Going to have to do 520 in two parts. This is an eventful year! Also I spent the first half under siege by 100 goblins which seems to have made my FPS suffer a little bit. Unfortunately I may or may not get much time to play tomorrow, don't know for sure.

Year 520 - Spring

It has been several months since my last entry and it's dawning on me that we can't continue with business as usual any more. True, business as usual is going fine right at this very moment - the goblin siege is helpless against us, binning of finished goods is still proceeding at a breakneck pace, and the bank of magma smelters I ordered constructed are burning three shifts a day smelting the ore that was left littering the halls. But that goblin siege isn't going anywhere this time and more migrants and trade caravans are no doubt on their way. It's time to get a little more proactive.

Perhaps also came a sign from Armok. Logem Rodimrovod developed the aspect of one fey the other day, and after claiming a bowyer's workshop that I didn't even know we had proceeded to turn out our third artifact crossbow - this one in the medium of black-cap wood.

We still dare not wear armor, the mere act of changing into it is more dangerous than any attack it may deflect. And so I have ordered a set of bronze crossbows to be forged and designated a squad of dwarves to wield them. I have told them on no uncertain terms that they are not to change any other part of their uniforms; just pick up a crossbow, a quiver and some bolts, and get to training. I appointed Stukos as captain of the guard and assigned him to wield his own artifact crossbow.

Battlefailed appears to have been left with no identifiable barracks or archery ranges to reclaim. I have decided to repurpose the ruins of FAILCANNON. The "sprinkler head" looks like it could actually serve as a decent station for a squad of crossbowdwarves to rain bolts down on invaders, and the "barrel" of the structure will make a fine pair of archery ranges to keep the squad nearby while training.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will no doubt be called a philistine for desecrating the purpose of this noble construction, but frankly, I think it will kill far more goblins this way. Not to mention that the pump stacks and power systems would need a complete rebuild to use it for its original purpose. Perhaps someday.

No sooner had I set up a schedule for our military then I received reports of yet another new Forgotten Beast arriving in the deepest depths. Perhaps Armok wanted to test our new military, but if so I figured Armok would be disappointed this time. "It has blood, yes? It breathes?" I asked the messenger. He nodded and I nodded back; no need to lock the hatch in that case, or disturb the military. I made my way down to Lower Battlefailed to watch this new creature die.

It was a great three-eyed bat named Lased, with a broad horn and short golden hair. Exactly as expected, it flew toward the staircase of death... "Oh, Armok." In a flash I realized my hubris. Battlefailed meant death for any living thing that set foot within it, but this creature was not setting foot as it came. "Lock the hatch! Lock the hatch!" I hollered as I ran the rest of the way to the mineshaft boneyards where I had ordered the hatch installed. The hatch was there alright, resting open on the stairwell, but it appeared to have never actually been mounted in its frame. Pinned next to it was a small piece of parchment with the words "To do - Melbil". It had clearly been pinned there a long time ago, probably right after I'd given the construction order.

"To arms! Kill it! Kill it! Kill it!" I admit to no small amount of panic at this point. Everything had been going so well. Was this how it was going to end? Surely, though, a squad of crossbowdwarves would be able to hold off this one beast - they just had to get one bolt into one of its wings, make it falter and touch the ground, and everything would be fine. The staircase was long. They just had to get here in time.

The bat's shriek echoed as it came barrelling up it toward me. Where was the guard? Ah! A marksdwarf came running around the corner, dodging the fleeing civilians crammed in the narrow corridor. "Olin! Good man! Quick, put a couple of bolts in that... uh... where's your crossbow?"

"Haven't had time to pick it up yet sir," Olin Dorentost panted. "Or bolts. But look, I've got a quiver! And a backpack with two square meals, and a full waterskin, if you need me to go on a lengthy patrol. I'm prepared."

"... good. Chap with the wings, there. Go get him." I had passed beyond panic into an interesting sort of dream state. Surely this couldn't all be my fault, could it? What had I done wrong? All of my orders had been perfectly clear and reasonable.

To her credit Olin didn't hesitate. She ran down the stairs to meet the monster, which had paused to demolish the old half-completed pump stack that had been built along part of the staircase for some now-forgotten purpose, and lunged to the attack. It was incredible! Olin was completely unarmed and unarmored, but she flung herself on the beast and began pummelling it with her fists. The creature was so taken aback that it didn't even try to counterstrike.

Was Olin really going to pull this off?

Oh.

As Lased tossed the battered body of brave Olin down one of the ruined pump stack's open shafts my brief moment of hope fell with her. I began pondering what other last-second defenses I could order constructed. But it was probably too late. If Lased made it up to the boneyards, past that useless half-constructed hatch, there were many directions he could go from there - they couldn't all be sealed, not in the brief seconds we had left. My hundred dwarves were going to die. Perhaps I could find a place to hole up with a few survivors, to start over yet again and reclaim Battlefailed a second time... but would it not be more humane to let it end for good?

Then a miracle happened. Just as Armok tests us, so to he inspires us.

Olin had only fallen one floor, coming to rest on a ledge immediately below. Ignoring her grievous injuries she crawled back up the filthy staircase beside her, adding to the thick layer of toxic grime that already clung to her worn clothing. Lased was clearly as shocked as I was and the creature hesitated long enough for her to scream out one word before she struck again: "Blood!"

Lased tasted Battlefield's blood.

Needless to say, I called for every medic in the fort to halt all other activities and take Olin to the hospital. Chief medical dwarf Zaneg personally came down to recover her. Sadly it looks like from the state of Olin's foot she'll not be walking again any time soon, so I later had to replace her in her squad with a new recruit. Other marksdwarves arrived and set about beating ineffectually on Lased's immobile body with their crossbows - did nobody have bolts yet? - and eventually it succumbed, but let it be known that the kill rightly belongs to Olin.

Once the immediate aftermath was being dealt with I went back to my office and sat down heavily at my desk. The close call had shaken me. I thought I had prepared for this eventuality... "Melbil." I methodically rifled through my records. "Melbil Lumashasan - construct stone hatch cover." I raised my voice. "Bring him!" One of the newly-minted guardsmen, Kib Uzoldakost, headed out and in short order the craftsdwarf was standing before my desk. "Why did you not complete this work order?" I asked.

"Uh..." The dwarf thought back. "Ah yeah. There was a stack of elk bones in the way."

"Well, yes, the hatch was in the boneyards. I specifically remember de-designating the staircase as part of the boneyards when I ordered the hatch built. Why didn't you move the bones out of the way?"

Melbil shook his head. "That wasn't my job. I figured I'd be told to try mounting the hatch again once it was done."

"Ah, I see. Thank you." Melbil walked out of the office and I turned to the guard who had brought him. "We all do our jobs here, right?"

The guard gave me a grave nod of acknowledgement and followed Melbil out the door.

A second goblin siege force showed up a few days later, reinforcing the existing goblin army still present (100 goblins total, plus two dozen trolls), but my confidence had cautiously returned. Their numbers didn't matter; none of them could get through Battlefailed's walls unless we allowed them through. My dwarves were safe from that threat at least.

What?? I immediately rush to the scene of the report - Kivish's own bedroom. How could any enemy have managed to get in here? Where were they? Kogsak stood alertly in the room next to Kivish's bed, where his corpse lay, wielding a blood-soaked crossbow. I blinked in shock, even more stunned as I realized what had really happened. Kogsak didn't seem at all deranged or angry. "Why?"

"Doin' my job, sir,"

"Please elaborate."

"Oh. Well, you remember how Mayor Fikod put in an order for native silver items?"

I wracked my brains. "That was years ago. It was a foolish request, we barely had food to go around at the time."

"Yeah, well, Kivish here was supposed to do it anyway, and he didn't. So the mayor sentanced him to a couple months in the clink. But we didn't have none, and so I figured why not just rough 'im up a bit instead? It's all over and done with then."

I looked again at Kivish's corpse. Kogsak had smashed the dwarf's skull, completely shattered it, and I was pretty sure I could see brain matter leaking from the wound. I guess it was apt that I'd ordered the cages replaced with coffins in Battlefailed's old prison, Kivish was going to the same place now either way. "I'd better order up some chains," I sighed and walked out. I couldn't exactly complain considering the example I'd set with Melbil.

Year 520 - Summer

The summer progressed fairly normally after that. I considered trying to lure the goblins in closer to the fort so that my marksdwarves could get a little target practice in on live targets, but one thing worries me - out among the goblins is a single solitary one who carries a bow. An extremely high-quality bow, in fact. Her description matches that of a legendary elite bowgoblin named Em Uspungamxu, and I'm betting she's a good enough shot that she'd be able to get some arrows through our fortifications if it came to a sniping match. I don't want to lose any more dwarves right now. So, I've ordered the construction of another contingency; a number of ballistae. Their field of fire should cover the region that she's currently in, and their fortifications will have drawbridges built behind them to allow them to be sealed off and maintained safely if the goblins get closer. We have enough ballista parts already in stock from old Battlefailed, but we have no ammo so it'll take a little while to get this set up. Good to be prepared though.

I also had several more cleaning troughs installed, including one in front of a small disused room that appears to be completely uncontaminated. This will be the "breeding chambers", should I manage to acquire a breeding pair of any sort of animal. Once the cleaning trough was installed I had several ropes put in (making sure that they got dragged through the cleaning trough on the way in, just in case they were themselves contaminated). I believe that we may actually be making progress; only a couple of dwarves were involved with installing the ropes but afterward the trough's water was still completely clean. A trough I had installed in the entryway to the apartment complex is likewise at least partially clean, despite a large number of dwarves travelling through it.

I have discovered that we actually have a caged male warthog and a caged male donkey in inventory, apparently recovered from one of the destroyed caravans during our recent foray out of the fort before this siege began. I've ordered the warthog roped up to test the safety of the breeding area. It seems to actually be surviving!

I've also installed a cleaning trough in a small detour of the main stairway going through the boneyard. It's high enough up that any creature that gets there is probably not vulnerable to the stairway's poison anyway (or if it is it's a flyer like the Lased and will need to be tackled by a toxic dwarf - a tactic I've decided to call "trolling").

As the summer came to a close, a happy event occurred! Heroic Olin, who I had expected would remain bedridden for life and accomplish no more great feats, got a fey glint in her eye and struggled out of the hospital to claim a clothier's shop. I half expected her to somehow manage to make a crossbow out of cloth, but instead she made a silk shirt of the highest quality.

This was balanced by a sad event. The dwarven baby, Rovod Raberkeskel, grew large enough that her mother Meng put him down. I immediately designated a safe zone encompassing Rovod and Meng's rooms, the dining hall, and a food stockpile and associated kitchens. Close examination shows no signs of contamination here. Meng was reassigned to cooking and brewing duties in the hopes that Rovod would not stray far from her mother. If only there were some way I could have the child chained up next to the warthog! But no, a child does as it pleases.

Rovod walked on her own from 14th Galena until her death on 17th Galena when she bled out. I have been unable to locate the source of the contaminant that killed her. I do think the situation is improving, though - the cleaning troughs are blue most of the time now, not sickly gray. Here's hoping the next one lasts longer.

Then a happy event occurred! The hundred goblins camped outside gave up on their siege and departed. The ballistae will be ready for next time, at least. I heard reports of items being stolen shortly after the siege left, so I ordered the main gate opened. Sure enough, kobold corpses began appearing in the gatehouse.

Then a gigantic one-eyed wasp named Idgag emerged on the first cavern level. It located a way into the spiral ramp that had been overlooked until now, a small underwater opening that had been used as a source of water to fill a large cubical reservoir. Fortunately Idgag merely sat in this opening and waited, allowing us time to wall it off. I do not pretend to understand the minds of these creatures.

And that was Summer.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:24:39 pm by Bryan Derksen »

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 10:55:39 pm »

Could you name the head of the military after me?  ;)

Just because.

Oh, I neglected to mention it in my latest update, but I gave captain of the guard Stukos the nickname Stukos "Der Monster" Zatamzuntor for you. Seemed appropriate enough. :)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 11:00:00 pm »

Thanks. Nice work you got going on here.

Many hopes for fun of both types in the future. And much longing for more fantastic writing.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 11:15:35 pm »

I love this thread
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 11:33:11 pm »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 10:15:58 am »

Brilliant work and brilliant writing.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 10:50:05 am »

Brilliant work and brilliant writing.

I agree. Not only has what you done been awesome, your writing is very immersing. I also like how you work in DFs quirks in funny ways, but not in a forced way.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:27 pm »

"tackled by a toxic dwarf": brilliant.  Cannot believe this is working.  Upload to DFMA so I can take a nostalgic stroll!  Barracks in the Failcannon.  Brilliant.   
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 02:57:46 am »

!!Science!! is performed in this update, resulting in the discovery of a practical means of weaponizing Forgotten Beast extract. I'd intended to upload some saves, too, but it's way late and I'm tired. I'll do that tomorrow probably.

Year 520 - Autumn

The first excitement of Autumn came in the form of another gigantic insect from the deeps, this time a thing named Aci that resembled a giant rove beetle. This beast was yet another that was capable of flight and so I ordered marksdwarves to report to the boneyard with a certain sense of dread. The hatch was now complete and could be locked in the event of catastrophe, but catastrophe would likely mean the loss of my best (and only) warriors.

As we peered down the long staircase, however, it seemed there was someone else who'd be facing trouble first. A miller named Tholtig Shedimashrir was running up the stairs just ahead of Aci, hauling a load of native silver ore that was presumably destined for the smelters. I was amazed at how fast he was able to move with that load and even more amazed that he refused to drop it. Unfortunately Aci was much faster. It caught up with Tholtig as they passed through the second cavern layer, where the now-empty pump stack shafts were exposed to open air and Aci could fly freely. The giant beetle dove at Tholtig.

Tholtig dodged, causing Aci to slam into the wall next to him and fall to the ground. This was all that was needed to coat the beast in Battlefailed's special blend of poison, Unfortunately, as fast acting as the poison normally was, it wasn't fast enough to save Tholtig; Aci recovered almost instantly from the impact and snatched him up by the torso with its mandibles. I've seen many horrible deaths in my time here but this was one of the most brutal; Aci injected its own flavor of venom into Tholtig's helplessly twitching body and then threw him forcefully down the stairs with one wing, dashing his body apart on impact. There was never any real chance of us intervening. Now that Aci had been successfully trolled and there were no survivors to evacuate I ordered the hatch locked and waited for Aci to perish.

The beast showed no signs of going down easily. Aci's movement became sluggish but it did not become paralyzed; instead it launched itself into the air and started careening wildly around the second cavern layer, dripping a cascade of ichor from its joints as it went. The beast's head and thorax seemed to be especially damaged, perhaps from its direct contact with Tholtig, and its right wing (with which it had tossed the hapless dwarf) was rotting so badly that the stench was almost visible. Every time the beast crashed to the ground or into the lake below I expected it to finally succumb.

But it didn't. Instead it eventually came to a rest perched on the side of the natural pillar that the staircase ran through, the flow of ichor ceased, and Aci survived. Its head and thorax were broken, its wing rotted, but its condition appeared to stabilize and its lesser wounds healed.

Absolutely amazing. The constitution that creature must have is incredible. Fortunately for us Aci appeared to have at least been permanently crippled by its experience; though still alive it seems to show no signs of moving from where it has come to rest.

While all this was going on Uker, a shrimp beast, appeared. It got paralyzed when it entered the now-abandoned magma forge drainage system and the dwarves working the forges got to watch it slowly die though the fortification in the wall, rotting from the feet up.

Meng gave birth to a new baby girl. Here's hoping she'll be able to grow up where her sister did not.

A caravan from the Mountainhome arrived. It was followed by a kobold ambush party that resulted in the following adorable scene:

Five kobold ambushers, each becoming paralyzed and collapsing exactly on top of each other as they passed through the gatehouse.

Year 520 - Winter

Winter was fairly uneventful. A blue wolf-beast appeared in the second cavern layer, but since that layer was sealed off when Idgag came poking around it just wandered aimlessly. A lizard-creature similarly joined the herd in the first cavern layer.

Most significantly, a serendipitous accident occurred near the end of winter. I had ordered a breeding pair of donkeys to be tied up in the "clean room". Two donkey cages had been moved there beforehand so that they would never be removed from containment outside of that controlled environment, but apparently the animal handler I assigned to the task wasn't entirely clear on the purpose of the exercise. He ignored the cage adjacent to the rope and decided I must have meant for him to tie up one of the donkeys still stored in the animal stockpile on the other side of Lower Battlefailed. I quickly received word of the donkey's death and rushed to see what had happened.

The trail of donkey blood made it fairly obvious. The animal handler had dragged the donkey through the dining hall on his way to the clean room and the donkey had begun bleeding only a few steps beyond the dining hall's cleaning trough, which was at that time filled with contaminant-laden water. My previous observations had suggested that passing through a contaminated cleaning trough should have been safe even for unprotected creatures; at no time did they ever have contaminant on their skins, only a coating of pure water. But this was a highly suggestive result! I must do more science to these donkeys...

Year 521 - Spring

Surprise! The siege is back. There was just enough time to call all the garbage-collectors inside, but in the confusion nobody was able to get to the lever to close the front gate. Fortunately, I've been passing the time trying to clear up some of the weapon clutter by building traps in the gatehouse. The first three rows consist of nothing but bows and arrows, then there's a row of conventional melee weapon traps, then the old cage traps left over from Old Battlefailed.

The elite goblin lasher leading the first squad of goblins through the gate dodged his way through the weapon traps in an amazing feat of agility but landed in a cage trap. His troops followed and were completely pincushioned. One wounded goblin that managed to flee had five arrows stuck in various parts of his body! The next troop to make it to the gatehouse suffered exactly the same fate - the elite leader was caged, the followers were routed. A contingent of trolls was next and they managed to barge on through, overwhelming both cage and weapon traps, but the siege was already broken at that point and the goblins fled. I suppose they were expecting another long and boring waiting game like last time. The trolls that got inside were dispatched by the crossbowdwarves.

Having beaten back the siege so quickly this year, I decide to go for broke and designate every remaining item outside of Battlefailed's walls to be moved to a dump site right inside the gates. Operation: Spring Cleaning is a success, after months of hard hauling effort the exterior surface of Battlefailed is clear!

Year 521 - Summer

Another of our weaponsmiths developed a fey mood. This time the product was an artifact platinum mace. Perhaps for the best; having _four_ artifact crossbows would have been a bit much!

Now that all of the junk from outside the fort is secured inside, there's time for a few smaller projects.

1 - Experimenting with cleaning troughs. The most recent dwarven caravan brought two mules, which are useless for breeding. I have had their cages placed in the clean room. The trough leading into the clean room has poison in the water, and I will install clean grates over it. The door on the lower level is pet-impassible. I will release one of the mules and allow it to cross down into the lower chamber, which as near as I can tell from examining it is completely clean. If the mule survives unscathed for a while, I will open the grates and allow it to pass through the poisoned water. We'll see how it does.

2 - There are three rooms in upper Battlefailed that are still flooded, immediately adjacent to the ocean. I will build a windmill-powered pump and attempt to get them drained and sealed as well.

3 - Spring Cleaning Part II. We have in inventory: 101 crutches, 22 wooden short swords, 25 wooden spears, 28 wooden long swords, 37 suits of wooden armor, 63 wooden and bone leggings/greaves... I have stopped counting specifically. There are over 2200 articles of armor, 1300 articles of legwear, 1500 articles of headwear, 2300 articles of handwear, 2600 articles of footwear. Much of these items are extremely poor quality articles recovered from invaders or hapless caravans. Half of our 250 shields are made of wood. There are 168 buckets. We have 23 barrels of Gnomeblight and I can say with great confidence that the last thing Battlefailed needs to worry about is a gnome infestation. This is all a vast, useless waste of storage space. No wonder it has taken so long to get everything inside!

I'm going to order that much of this mountain of junk be dumped into a spare magma aperture down in the forges, making allowances to spare items of particular artistic merit. That should take a little while but if I need dwarfpower for other tasks I'll order a portion of the fort to stop hauling refuse.

A giant serpent with noxious secretions arrived in the third cavern layer. It died before reaching the staircase.

Results of the cleaning trough experiments:

I just recieved an unexpected notification that a cat had suffocated. Checking up on the situation, I find that my attempt to rope up several cats for breeding in the clean room has gone awry; although their cages were placed right next to the ropes I'd ordered them tied to, cats are slippery beasts and managed to escape the fumble-fingered dwarf I had assigned to the task. One was dead in the hallway just outside the safe zone, but I saw that the other one was still splashing through the trough (which had not yet been sealed with grating). I locked the door to prevent it from escaping and observed.

Although the cat's body parts were listed as being coated only in water, the cat quickly went limp and began to gasp and mew piteously as it rotted from the paws upward. This, then, confirms the cause of Rovod's death; the child passed through a cleaning trough on her way to her bedroom.

Should Battlefailed fall again and a future reclaim party find these notes, take heed. Cleaning troughs will clean dwarves and the items that they carry with them, but they will _not_ protect a vulnerable dwarf passing through one even though the dip is brief and doesn't appear to get anything other than water onto their skins.

Next I confirmed this finding by finishing the grating and releasing a mule as planned. The dwarf that released the mule had contaminants on his mittens and shoes, since he didn't pass through the cleaning trough now that the grates are in place, but the released mule remained standing in place for a long time after being released with no sign of syndromes. Animals exposed to these contaminants are usually paralyzed perish within a matter of moments. Eventually the mule went downstairs, over the grate covering the corpse of the cat, and came to a stop against the door (which was tightly sealed). It appears uncontaminated. I will leave it until autumn and check up on it again then unless I receive word of further developments in the meantime.

Oh dear. Deler picked the worst possible place to learn how to walk, all the way up on the surface and far from the "safe zone" I have been preparing down in Lower Battlefailed. I tried assigning him and his mother to it (the Thob mentioned in this log) but he stepped in a pool of toxin mere moments after entering the spiral ramp downward. Quite tragic, this would have been an ideal moment to test whether covering over those cleaning troughs was sufficient to render it truly safe.

On the plus side, the mule is still alive as of the end of summer. I'll unlock the zoo now and allow it to wander to the dining hall in autumn; it should follow roughly the same route that killed the donkey that was dragged through the cleaning trough (which is now covered with grates).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:35:59 am by Bryan Derksen »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 11:34:28 am »

Platinum mace yes.

I am amazed that you managed to actually clean up the surface.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10