Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread  (Read 44392 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 09:58:46 pm »

Hehehe, recently ordered this game and it got here. It has quite a few interface problems since the game came out, but since when has that ever stopped me from trying to learn a game. Playing as the Gaians, recently destroyed Myriam's last city, except since it got destroyed instead of caputred, she's escaped me. Not too bad for not producing any military units other than captured mindworms. Unfortunately, I now have an island to myself, and nothing to conqure, and there seems to be that whole "blind research" feature that no one seems to talk about when they mention the game, it's interesting,  but I kinda want seafaring techs and stuff.

Also, I know that it's possible to run it in a window, so what would you guys suggest I do to get it that way?
Blind research is a setting that can be toggled when setting up a game, actually. I usually leave it on because blind research makes it feel less gamey.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 10:00:43 pm »

Sure, it's less gamy, but when my researchers researched the alien language when there were no aliens present, then it's kinda... like a sledghammer hit my disbelief.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 10:50:50 pm »

Ah, truly a nice game.

Planet Busters. HAHAHAHAHA! Nothing says "Die in a fire" like a crater that would have taken a crack team of engineers decades to create. Or fix.

Unit Workshop. Never quite as varied as it should have been, since the same basic archetypes are usually the only really viable ones, but I still appreciate the ability. Customizing special abilities was also incredibly handy; I loved spamming Clean Reactors on everything.

Social Agendas. The notion that you could be sitting by yourself, on an island, not hurting anyone and still have another leader seething with rage at you because you're using democracy or stifling the economy was a very nice touch, I thought. It encouraged the notion that you're managing your space empire in a certain way, and just because it's none of their goddamn business doesn't mean they're not going to mind when you start embodying everything they hate.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 11:24:34 pm »

I love how Lal acts like Civ's Gandhi: nuke planet buster obsession, warlike nature...
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 11:58:48 pm »

Never played this before now. Downloaded the demo. Played it three times.

Where has it been all my life?!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 12:10:01 am »

I love how Lal acts like Civ's Gandhi: nuke planet buster obsession, warlike nature...
so you had that experience too :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 01:13:23 am »

I always ran it fullscreen, at desktop resolution, which requires the expansion (due to a bug in the original version), but I tended to play with the original factions - possibly swapping out Miriam for one of the others. The main difference then is the flying native life and the new techs (besides having it run at 1680x1050 or the like, which is just awesome).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 01:37:20 am »

No kidding. You can get a vista friendly (and by extention windows 7) off of amazon dot com. I tried torrents, but most have 16 bit installers, so I wasn't able to try the game out until I got it off of amazon. I think it's going for ten bucks, although I wish they'd have a downloadable version.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 03:36:40 am »

The main big point of the game to me was always the story... It's briliant! I wish every game these days had something atleast close.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 04:15:11 am »

No kidding. You can get a vista friendly (and by extention windows 7) off of amazon dot com. I tried torrents, but most have 16 bit installers, so I wasn't able to try the game out until I got it off of amazon. I think it's going for ten bucks, although I wish they'd have a downloadable version.

*coughgofortheisos*ahem^phlegm

damn dust allergy, makes me cough my wossnames out.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 04:31:23 am »

So, is it still considered "sold" or "abandonware"? I could provide you with a full ISO if it's free. I couldn't find any info on abandonia.com.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 05:01:49 am »

Considering it's been released, and I have it ordered, with a windows 7 compatibility, in 2008, it really hasn't been abandoned. So yeah, threw my money there in hopes that there'd be a sequel to this underrated gem. Well, so long as it isn't an FPS sequel.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 05:10:20 am »

Okay, good to know.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 08:19:46 am »

Played another game today, in the Huge map of planet. Got started near hive, believers and peacekeepers. The hive got cancer and started swallowing believers and peacekeepers, while i brownnosed them constantly. Then All that left on the huge continent was me and hive. Hive occupied 3/4 of it. I started to prepare for war, so did hive. It turned out into a long cold war, with most of the other guys on my side. Than hive attacked me with shard weaponry, while I had impact (silly me?) and so did end the Gaian empire...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 09:00:18 am »

You guys almost makes me want to play this again, even though i had my fill recently.
Its interesting though. This game is the same as the Civ games, which i dislike, but I still love it.
Story/plot, all the quotes, terraforming and colony management pleases me(combat sucks).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23