Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Heroic Ghosts  (Read 2213 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Heroic Ghosts
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 03:32:25 pm »

Although, flavor-wise this might be explained as a ritual of the dwarves to create champions who eternally guard the fort, and they might greatly honor the dwarf who makes this great sacrifice.

When you put it that way, it seems like something dwarves would do on purpose if they hit hero status. 

Tholtig Cryptbrain (I believe her name was) was a queen who slaughtered thousands of elves alone as the sole surviving member of her civilization until she died of old age, weapon in hand.  Tholtig's axe might still call out for elven blood.

Maybe some extreme glory seekers might seek to make themselves into unliving legends by purposefully trying to haunt their weapons and get passed down from hero to hero.  If their weapon is good enough, and gets passed from heros capable of slaying the deadliest of beasts, then they might aspire to (almost literal) immortality through becoming the most prized artifact platinum warhammer ever created.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 09:31:14 pm »

yeah, i think the following things should be factors in saving a fortress form certain doom via undead intervention

-number and quality of relationships said dwarf had in life

I'm sorry, did you just give a reason for a dwarf to have freinds? As in a dwarf with many freinds is more likely to come back as a ghost and help out when goblins are about to take over? I like the idea of having a reason to have freinds...

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 12:16:37 am »

yeah, that and dwarves should generally need contact with other sentient creatures or suffer negative thoughts and perhaps even go insane. that would help with ppl who work their dwarves to death, constantly maintaining 0 idlers. actually... that is something i do already and it dose kill the idea that my dorfs are thinking feeling creatures.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Komori

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 11:30:53 pm »

So, yeah, I just registred =P I got the game early this week so I may be just crazy
But my current fortress (second attempt) has a bunch of ghosts mostly cause I pile corpses instead of burrying them. I seriously have 10 or 15 ghosts by now. They don't all show at once but I have seen 2 or 3 at once in the same z level. Aywayz
One of them (apparently?) chased a kobold thief off the fortress.
Makes me feel they are coded to simply torment *whoever* is around, not only your dwarfs. Ever since that incident, I have increased my corpse stockpile and hope for more ghosts hanging around my piles to keep intruders out.

Not sure if that tatic is actually effective yet, but I found the idea interesting.

ZioAnthros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 02:27:15 am »

I'd be careful...
I had a ghostly butcher hack some limbs of some folks by the river they all insisted on hanging out at.
Made for a pretty messy river, all full of dwarf pieces...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 11:00:51 am »

Perhaps, if the miners breach the depths of Hell itself, the spirits of dwarves from ages past could take up arms beside them in the struggle between good and evil.
Epic. Awesome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 05:22:40 am »

that is beautiful. i haven't seen anything as cool as that yet though. im currently playing a succession game with my lil bro and he had a milta dwarf dodge into a near by lake, failing to notice he was down a dwarf he has gone on about and given over to me where i find a undead swords dwarf is griefing his old squad. it would have been sweet though if he had of taken up arms with his old crew and helped to defend the fortress when 8 of the squad died vainly fighting a frogman, snakeman and goblin siege all at once... still made for an awesome free for all.

about my poor drowned milta man, i waited for the lake to freeze in winter then just chipped his frozen corpse out of the ice.
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 08:41:17 pm »

personally i would prefer if this was kept "unexplained" and "random/magical" for the most part

for example, i mean during a gobbo attack a dwarven ghost could scare away the gobbos and such but it should be more up for chance and randomness then actually having a cause (even though the cause can still be represented in a way)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48:45 pm »

personally i would prefer if this was kept "unexplained" and "random/magical" for the most part

for example, i mean during a gobbo attack a dwarven ghost could scare away the gobbos and such but it should be more up for chance and randomness then actually having a cause (even though the cause can still be represented in a way)

There's not much in a game like DF that can remain unexploitable for very long, especially given what the playerbase is just inherently like... 

The game pretty much DEMANDS you be investigative and methodical in your approach to it, or else you'd never learn anything.  The exploits are just the parts of the game that Toady didn't intend for us to learn, but which paradoxically are often easier to learn than the actual mechanics of the game we ARE supposed to learn.

Since ghosts haunt the spots they used to spend the most time, or where they died, someone noticed that a migrant he immediately atom-smashed would only hang around the bridge that atom-smashed him, since that was the only place he'd ever been. 

So... just atom-smash migrants at the only approaches to your forts, the places where only invaders would come (if you have a merchant enterance that is separate, and has its own drawbridge you raise when the siegers come).  Now, you have your own ghostly guards against sieges.  That's without even implementing anything in this suggestion, and just exploiting what's already there.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 03:19:58 am »

wow, your one evil meta-gamer...
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 05:13:15 am »

Now you could improve on this by placing all engraved slabs in a single, magma floodable room. Then when you want to summon the ghosts, flood the slab room, destroy all slabs, and ghosts rock up. When they have killed the seige and you want them gone, remake the slabs.

Who you gonna call? Baywatchers!

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 01:42:49 am »

It would be nice if the ghosts also had goals to accomplish before they pass on; like a dead hunter possessing a hunter to kill the monster he was hunting or a legendary soldier possessing a soldier for one last battle.
Pages: 1 [2]