Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cold air kills  (Read 749 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
cold air kills
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:02:14 am »

How dangerous being out in tundra or glacier is? what kind of injuries they get from being out too long? How long does it take to die in the cold?

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cold air kills
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:15:33 am »

freezing or cold in game are rough scales IIRC, the actual temperature is set according to world gen parameters
but anyway, hangingout like couple of weeks would give your dwarfs frostbite.
that's why i regretted to build an all above-ground ice tower. not to mention playing magma at the same time.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:18:35 am »

My dwarfs are all naked and I've seen nothing when i mass designate some goblinite outside for dumping.
There seems to be no cold damage in this version.
fakeedit:
@lamphare, did this happen in 3.18? I've never had any cold related injuries, but maybe i just have to make dwarf live outside.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 07:36:06 am »

An entire village of eskimo dwarfs living in snow huts. Sounds like a fun experiment. :P
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:08:34 am »

shlorf:
yes i generated a world in current version, temperature set as -10 to 90, embarked on one nice glacier.
once there i started digging ice for construction, desinated a large upramp area and went out to get a cup of tea. when i returned i saw dwarfs with frostbite and shortly everyone died fronzen. they died instantaneously so i had to check the gamelog to find out.
nasty cold.

edit:checked back on world gen parameters.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 11:05:23 am »

related story: I like glacier forts and in one of them I got the monarch (first time ever). When she arrived, she and only she was lightly wounded across the whole of her body. I can only assume that because she was a worldgen figure, the game tracked her traveling over the frozen regions and gave her frostbite. It all healed up in a couple of weeks. this was in .18

I've never had an embark so cold that dwarves die of it though. Never saw any cold damage on any of my fortress dwarves, I'd love an embark that cold.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.