Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: removing downstairs?  (Read 7303 times)

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
removing downstairs?
« on: January 31, 2011, 01:09:02 pm »

Ive just recently started a new fortress in 31.18 and im completely lost now as last time i played was 40d couple of months before any of these new 31.?? versions came.
so could some1 explain me how do these burrows exactly work? I looked from wiki, and it did help a bit, but im still a bit afraid to try them for anything

another question is that how can i remove downstairs :S

thanks for helping old noob :P

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Re: removing downstairs?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:16:22 pm »

I believe you need to go to the designation (where you dig, channel etc...) and choose remove construction and then choose the staircase on the map. :)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »

so could some1 explain me how do these burrows exactly work? I looked from wiki, and it did help a bit, but im still a bit afraid to try them for anything
Basically, you paint them like you would a designation, then you either assign specific dwarves to them from the burrows menu or you assign all civilian dwarves to them with civilian alerts. If assigned to a burrow, dwarves will not accept jobs from items, designations, or buildings outside burrows they are assigned to, nor will they task any items outside those burrows. You can have multiple burrows overlap, and you can have a dwarf assigned to multiple burrows.

Mostly, you should just try them a bit. They're somewhat more intuitive than most other aspects of the game.

another question is that how can i remove downstairs :S
Either construct a floor over top of them, or designate them to be channeled out.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:39:32 pm »

right. thanks for the answers.
wonder why i didnt try channeling those downstairs -.-
i guess ill try burrows once i have my fortress look like a fortress and not just random quarry with workshops outside in the sun... real dwarf shouldnt be forced to walk aboveground. you never know when that cursed sky falls down. better to be scorched by magma than getting yourself crushed under endless sky

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:15:06 pm »

The best uses I've found yet are to confine a dwarf to working in one area and one area only, like if you want your brewer to just brew and not go haul crap during a beverage shortage, or to make everyone non-combative hide out with the food and booze when there's an attack.

If you want all citizens to hide out in a burrow during an attack, make sure you do it from the <m>ilitary menu by going to your civilian alert and going over to the burrows column in the <a>lerts menu and hit <enter> so that there's a little "A" next to the burrow. This confused me a lot at first.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:03:34 pm »

Yeah, stairs are a little bit strange in that they keep their status as constructed or carved stairs, and require one of two different methods to remove them depending on which one was used to construct them.