Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help With New Civilizations  (Read 1867 times)

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
Help With New Civilizations
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:27:43 pm »

Hello members of the modding community. I have a somewhat newb-like question, but I just recently started modding.

I am trying to mod in a civilization of toadmen. I would be fine with just seeing them build civilizations (in swamps, mind you), but playing as them in Fortress mode would also be pretty fun. I have the basic creature raw files already, in this spoiler:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I believe that I'm now supposed to do something with the entities file? Please help!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you, saying 'Damn, that was fun.'"

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help With New Civilizations
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:56:56 pm »

I just wanted to mention that you may want to make sure that the picks/axes/ect are sized to fit them. Since they're smaller than kobolds at the moment.

Of course, if you've already done this, than feel free to just ignore my post.  :-X

This could be useful to you.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:37 pm »

Probably your best bet is to copy the mountain entity (dwarf) portion of the entity_default.txt file. This entry starts with [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] and includes everything until the next [ENTITY] tag. Then go through and look up each tag so you can change it to what you are looking for. The entity token page is your friend. If you have questions about any specific tag, just post here and someone can help further. I'd go into more specifics, but there are just so many entity options.

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:16 pm »

Probably your best bet is to copy the mountain entity (dwarf) portion of the entity_default.txt file. This entry starts with [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] and includes everything until the next [ENTITY] tag. Then go through and look up each tag so you can change it to what you are looking for. The entity token page is your friend. If you have questions about any specific tag, just post here and someone can help further. I'd go into more specifics, but there are just so many entity options.
Thank you kindly! That page will help. I had gone through the ENTITY tags and created a new one for my race of toadmen, under [ENTITY:TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER_SWAMP] at the end of the list. It pretty much copied the dwarven entities, but I changed some religion spheres and locations that were preferable. I also added the toadmen to the bottom of the creature_standard file. Is there anything I need to fix?
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you, saying 'Damn, that was fun.'"

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:28:39 pm »

You don't need to put them in creature_standard. They can be anywhere, really. Oh, and you should change the names of the chief medical dwarf position. It's awkward having a toad man with the position "Chief Medical Dwarf".
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 06:58:39 pm »

You don't need to put them in creature_standard. They can be anywhere, really. Oh, and you should change the names of the chief medical dwarf position. It's awkward having a toad man with the position "Chief Medical Dwarf".
Yes, I think so too. But I just experienced the sweet taste of success! I removed dwarves from the game, exchanging them with the toadmen. I embarked, and lo and behold, the little toadmen were hustled around a wagon. I couldn't make them do anything besides deconstruct the wagon (I haven't changed picks or axes yet). Now I need some more help. I still want dwarven civilizations in the game, but I don't know how to do that and add toadmen as well. I want to still play as the little frogs in Fortress mode. What is the right ENTITY for a swamp? That is where I would like the toadmen to build civilizations.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:16:44 pm »

All you have to do is leave the dwarves and your toads in the entity file to make them both appear and be playable. Having two playable races is automatically supported. If you are talking about [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN], I'm pretty sure that is just a name and you could make it SWAMP if you wanted. If you are talking about where they start and prefer to build cities, [START_BIOME] and [BIOME_SUPPORT] are what you want to change/add. I'm guessing you want to just have [START_BIOME:ANY_WETLAND] and [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_WETLAND:10].

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:38 pm »

All you have to do is leave the dwarves and your toads in the entity file to make them both appear and be playable. Having two playable races is automatically supported. If you are talking about [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN], I'm pretty sure that is just a name and you could make it SWAMP if you wanted. If you are talking about where they start and prefer to build cities, [START_BIOME] and [BIOME_SUPPORT] are what you want to change/add. I'm guessing you want to just have [START_BIOME:ANY_WETLAND] and [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_WETLAND:10].
Thanks a lot, this will really help. I finally got it to work. Oddly enough, even though they are smaller than kobolds, they tamed 5 Jabberers in Legends and fought an Elven force of ~1200 down to the last man. Managed to take out 550 of the tree-hugging hippies. I'm proud of the little toads.

DF is so fun.

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 09:26:56 am »

I have another question. Since the creation of this topic, I have increased the body size of toadmen to 38000. I have also created a new caste called [BATTLETOAD], which is as follows.
Code: [Select]
[CASTE:BATTLETOAD]
[MALE]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:30000]
[BODY_SIZE:3:0:85000]
[CASTE_NAME:great toad:great toads:great toad]
These are meant to be giant toads that are capable of greater feats then their smaller brethren. They do show up in game, and I have an option to play as them in Adventure Mode. The question I have is are the great toads larger than the normal toadmen? Or does the default:

Code: [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:17000]
[BODY_SIZE:3:0:38000]
that I have put down in the main body in between [CREATURE:TOADMAN] and [CREATURE:HUMAN] override the great toads?

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 01:09:55 pm »

Sorry, I'm not familiar with how inheritance works for tags.