Are you excited for 0.40.02 update?

I'm dying with excitement!
- 0 (0%)
Is that even a question?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 28, 2011, 11:05:45 am

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies  (Read 17286 times)

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating jelly can help growing dwarves.
    • View Profile
Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies
« on: January 31, 2011, 04:53:03 pm »

Updated to 0.40.x at the expense of molds, amoebas, and floaters. Working to bring them back.

Check it out:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3744

Current Status: revised raws to separate files for creatures, and added jellies to caste.
Current version is 0.5.5

Thank you Thundercraft for helping me out with this mod ;)

Also any one can use my mod for what ever purpose they like I don't really care. 8)

Thanks for the support to all the people who helped, and those who enjoyed my mod. :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:26:28 am by Xasio7 »
Check out my Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod and the Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack. Now with more slime goodness! (Any feedback is greatly appreciated.)

The perfect birthday present, a cute and cuddly blood blob, and for those growing dwarves try some jelly from a jelly, now with new range of flavors to try from.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »

If you use someone's work, ask for permission.

Otherwise post anything you want :). To place on DFFD, you have to register there and click "upload".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 05:07:18 pm »

What if I based my work on some features from dwarf fortress and from info I got from the wiki.
Check out my Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod and the Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack. Now with more slime goodness! (Any feedback is greatly appreciated.)

The perfect birthday present, a cute and cuddly blood blob, and for those growing dwarves try some jelly from a jelly, now with new range of flavors to try from.

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 05:39:21 pm »

How can you include more than one file in the upload.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:05:57 pm »

Zip (or tar) them together.  Should be available from the right-click menu in windows
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:16:02 pm »

What if I based my work on some features from dwarf fortress and from info I got from the wiki.
That's the main point of the modding.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:00:02 am »

I was wondering if/when anyone would mod in more blobs, slimes and oozes. They are a stereotypically classic monster in fantasy RPGs. And while vanilla DF already has them, it only has a few types.

Zip (or tar) them together.  Should be available from the right-click menu in windows
Yes, please do this for the next release.

BTW, a couple months ago I really wanted to create my own blob creature for a specific purpose. Unfortunately, Dwarf Fortress does not yet support the features I wanted. (Namely, a syndrome to randomly add extra eyes and limbs, ala radiation mutation, and beneficial syndromes to randomly heal as part of an "attack".)

I was a bit obsessed and I even modified a blob graphics tile for my creature. It never got far, but in the process I found the blob-like creatures in Magnut's New Underground Graphics Pack. That and this mod inspired me, so... I'm creating a graphics set just for blob-like creatures:

Thundercraft's Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack

I felt this was relevant and that I should mention it here as I'm designing it to go with this mod. (And know that the blobs in the first row are color modified versions of the cave blob from Magnut's Graphics Pack.) But I do not want derail this thread, so graphics feedback should go in my thread.

In my opinion, the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 7th/8th rows would work for blobs, jellies, and slimes. The 3rd, 5th and 6th row creatures have actual eyes, so I don't think they would quite fit... that is, unless someone modded slimes with eyes. [Hint! Hint!]

As I recall, some blob-like creatures without a head tend to be much tougher that those with a head to cut/punch off (or a skull to bash through their brain). So perhaps having eyes as a vulnerability (i.e., without the [EXTRAVISION] token) for some types of blobs and slimes could be useful toward maintaining a degree of game balance? A single-bodied creature can already be tough without extra dangerous special attacks. But then when you add poisons or special syndromes... (Just my theory. But I suspect testing is needed to determine game balance.)

Edit: Now updated with more critters and more colors!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:15:53 am by Thundercraft »

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:42:31 pm »

I was wondering if/when anyone would mod in more blobs, slimes and oozes. They are a stereotypically classic monster in fantasy RPGs. And while vanilla DF already has them, it only has a few types.

BTW, a couple months ago I really wanted to create my own blob creature for a specific purpose. Unfortunately, Dwarf Fortress does not yet support the features I wanted. (Namely, a syndrome to randomly add extra eyes and limbs, ala radiation mutation, and beneficial syndromes to randomly heal as part of an "attack".)

I was a bit obsessed and I even modified a blob graphics tile for my creature. It never got far, but in the process I found the blob-like creatures in Magnut's New Underground Graphics Pack. That and this mod inspired me, so... I'm creating a graphics set just for blob-like creatures:

I felt this was relevant and that I should mention it here as I'm designing it to go with this mod. (And know that the blobs in the first row are color modified versions of the cave blob from Magnut's Graphics Pack.) But I do not want derail this thread, so graphics feedback should go in my thread.

In my opinion, the 1st, 2nd, and 5th/6th rows would work for blobs, jellies, and slimes. The 3rd and 4th row creatures have actual eyes, so I don't think they would quite fit... that is, unless someone modded slimes with eyes. [Hint! Hint!]

As I recall, some blob-like creatures without a head tend to be much tougher that those with a head to cut/punch off (or a skull to bash through their brain). So perhaps having eyes as a vulnerability (i.e., without the [EXTRAVISION] token) for some types of blobs and slimes could be useful toward maintaining a degree of game balance? A single-bodied creature can already be tough without extra dangerous special attacks. But then when you add poisons or special syndromes... (Just my theory. But I suspect testing is needed to determine game balance.)
THIS IS SOO COOL!!!!!!! :o

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:52:03 pm »

Sorry I took SOO long to update. I kind of thought no one would actually care about my mod. I also have a question should I nerf (such as reduce the time,severity, or symptoms until I could give the slimes, jellies, and blobs a weakness that could be exploited.) some of the slimes I kind of made them designed to cause A WHOLE lot of fun when pissed off. Oh and Thank you Thundercraft for the cool suggestion when get the chance I apply it (If know how ::)) and Deon,and D_E for the support you guys are GREAT :D. I was think of adding a workshop to gather slime,jam,jelly,ect. from the blobs, slimes, and jellies. I also felt like adding another workshop to make it so that slime's, slime , and blob's, goo could then be made into jewels (Bog slime rough core) which could be cut to be sold or who knows what. another question should I change [EXOTIC_PET] to [PET] in slimes, blobs,and Jellies. Should I also include a giant amoeba or some other other creature?Should I make so that eating certein jellies or drinking poppy slime milk should have some effect on dwarfs (I plan to make it so you can milk Poppy slimes in the next update.)?  What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:16:39 am by Xasio7 »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 02:02:43 am »

I was think of adding a workshop to gather slime,jam,jelly,ect. from the blobs, slimes, and jellies.
Interesting. Sounds like something that Assassinfox would be interested in for his Candy Fortress mod. It might appeal to some others, as well. For anyone who might hate the idea, I'd say they could still use this mod and just not build said workshop - it would be as if the process never existed.

I also felt like adding another workshop to make it so that slime's, slime , and blob's, goo could then be made into jewels (Bog slime rough core) which could be cut to be sold or who knows what.
That sounds like there might be potential to be abused for profit$. But then, it probably depends on how it's implemented. There are some reactions in DF that are randomized and only give you good stuff some of the time. Alternatively, perhaps you could just have certain species drop one rough gem (their heart/core) when they die?

another question should I change [EXOTIC_PET] to [PET] in slimes, blobs,and Jellies.
Consider that the Dungeon Master is still broken. And from the development blog, it does not look like it will get fixed in the next version. Until the Dungeon Master returns, the [PET] token is needed (instead of EXOTIC) if you want it to be tamable and used as a pet. But when the Dungeon Master does return, I definitely recommend making these exotic.

Should I also include a giant amoeba or some other other creature?
I was kinda hoping you'd find a use for those squiggly bacteria-like tiles in my graphics pack and a giant amoeba might fit. But it's your mod. Just try to make each creature type unique in some way (preferably with different body parts and/or tissues). And if it were up to me, I'd worry about fixing the Jellies problem before making more stuff.

Should I make so that eating certein jellies or drinking poppy slime milk should have some on dwarfs (I plan to make it so you can milk Poppy slimes in the next update.)?  What do you guys think?
Well, that does seem weird. But I do like the idea of more milk-able creatures. And Toady already has the milk-able purring maggot. I guess if somebody doesn't like this idea they could still install and use your mod for the added creatures and ignore the fact that they can be milked. (Or modify the creature.)

Trivia: Did you know that in RL, Sugar Ants farm aphids like cattle? Weird! Yes, they move around and protect the aphids like livestock and "milk" them to obtain a sweet, sap-like liquid.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:01:23 pm by Thundercraft »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 04:21:28 am »

Sorry I took SOO long to update. I kind of thought no one would actually care about my mod. I also have a question should I nerf (such as reduce the time,severity, or symptoms until I could give the slimes, jellies, and blobs a weakness that could be exploited.) some of the slimes I kind of made them designed to cause A WHOLE lot of fun when pissed off. Oh and Thank you Thundercraft for the cool suggestion when get the chance I apply it (If know how ::)) and Deon for the support you guys are GREAT :D. I was think of adding a workshop to gather slime,jam,jelly,ect. from the blobs, slimes, and jellies. I also felt like adding another workshop to make it so that slime's, slime , and blob's, goo could then be made into jewels (Bog slime rough core) which could be cut to be sold or who knows what. another question should I change [EXOTIC_PET] to [PET] in slimes, blobs,and Jellies. Should I also include a giant amoeba or some other other creature?Should I make so that eating certein jellies or drinking poppy slime milk should have some on dwarfs (I plan to make it so you can milk Poppy slimes in the next update.)?  What do you guys think?
They are really cool. Why would you think other people won't need it?

I personally plan to nerf Gelatinous Cube a bit and add some jellies too now, you inspired me :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 11:44:18 am »

In my opinion, the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 7th/8th rows would work for blobs, jellies, and slimes. The 3rd, 5th and 6th row creatures have actual eyes, so I don't think they would quite fit... that is, unless someone modded slimes with eyes. [Hint! Hint!]

Edit: Now updated with more critters and more colors!
Just looking at this means I'm going to have to add a WHOLE LOT of thing for the next update. The updated graphic set looks SOO COOL I'm going to have to step it up just to be able to keep up with you. I was thinking of adding giant mold growth, semibeast slimes,mold,jellies,and blobs. Also mold would be almost, or immobile but will give off spores that grow more of them and cause fun to near by dwarfs that breathe in spores. the spores will be a colored gas (wouldn't be fair if you couldn't see it), and I think that I might make certain molds, plants that grow on dead things in your fortress (including trees, these would probably be only harmful to your wood though). Also should I add variations to cave floaters that seems appropriate for graphics set.  I was thinking of adding aqua blobs which are very common as they appear in most bodies of water they are slightly valuable but harmless except they may try to rot you food. I have another idea what if add another work shop that you get slime cores and blob gems (haven't thought up a name.) and make them into better gems. Here is an example: a rough aqua blob gem turns into a rough aquamarine. I think I might call it a gem forge because you forging gems. In the next update I'll make it so that blobs and slime drop cores just to be safe ( that is if I can do that, because I kind of broke jellies *again*, trying to add eyes.)
I think I know how I'll use the workshop that makes slime cores. I'll make another workshop that can grind glass into a powder which then is mixed with slime, blob liquid, which then makes a slime or blob core. If you want to get a core that can be used to make gems (aquamarines,ect.) you would need a pristine core which can only be found from killing slimes, or blobs. With artificial cores you could make slime,or blob traps which when triggered creates burst of fumes that cause the slime's,blob's syndrome (blob nausea trap) I'll also make it so that with pristine cores you could mix it with other slime's blob's fluid, which would then be used in traps that share properties, or can be used to make a slimes, or blobs from it that could be hybrids of different slimes, or blobs. Maybe I'll even make it so that there a chance that it might hard code slime, or blob.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:49:35 pm by Xasio7 »

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »

I was wondering how do you attach a tilset to my mod? I really want to use Thundercraft's tileset but I don't know how. I kind want to use it in my next update, oh and Thudercraft you don't mind if use you tileset right?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 05:39:35 pm »

Just looking at this means I'm going to have to add a WHOLE LOT of thing for the next update. The updated graphic set looks SOO COOL I'm going to have to step it up just to be able to keep up with you.
Actually, I'm thinking of adding two more colors (dark gray and aqua blue) and fine tuning the brightness and saturation a bit. I may even change the dark red into brown (for mud). But that's about all I will change for a while.

Honestly, you should not feel obligated to create a creature for every tile or to even keep up. In fact, I'm thinking it might be best to leave a few of these without a corresponding creature for future expansion. Some other DF fans might want to add a few slimes/blobs/jellies of their own to what you've created (for their own games, if not for public release).

So just pick and choose which ones you want (e.g., to fit your creature's traits) by specifying the creature's color. I'll try to fit my graphics tiles to match your color choice.

However, one type of creature I really wish you would add at some point are those with a cold attribute or special attack. I want my frost slimes / jellies. ;D I have nothing against aqua-colored water slimes. But I created the light blue color with frost in mind.

I have this weird idea of dwarves utilizing a Flintstones-esque refrigeration system using caged frost creatures. I've thought up some workshop reactions that could require the use of such refrigeration in order to work. (One involves a poison extract that evaporates into a poison gas at room temperature. I would have it use naturally cold Nether-cap wood ammo to deliver it to an enemy, at which point it should - in theory - explosively boil.)

Ah, that gives me another idea! Perhaps we could have a type of blob that would explode when exposed to above room temperature (like body temps of [HOMEOTHERM:10059] or higher) or even from a minor injury? Something like this was discussed in the MODDER'S WORKSHOP thread over a week ago:
You can give a creature burning hot vapor for blood.  If you don't make the creature resistant to high temperatures, it will melt itself after being injured the first time.  Change the blood tags to something like this...

That would be similar to those floating Bomb creatures in Final Fantasy Tactics or Prinnies in Disgaea. It may not be very useful in Fortress Mode. But I could see it used as a thrown weapon in Adventure Mode (like how that bronze colossus was decapitated by throwing a fluffy wambler at its head).

Finally, I have some suggestions on the type of tissues and materials that slimes and blobs could be made of. I was reading the Siliceous ooze page on the wiki (which is a type of soil found on the floors of deep oceans) and it reminded me that silicon-based life is said to be theoretically possible (being analogous to Earth's carbon-based life). Such is discussed here and here.

While the stereotype is for silicon-based life to be rock-hard and resemble stone or crystal, many silicon compounds also exist in liquid and gas. For example, silane is theorized to be a precursor to silicon life and it's a gas that is spontaneously flammable on exposure to air, even at low temperatures. [See my exploding blobs suggestion above.] Another sign of silicon life that astronomers look for is traces of silicones... Yes, that silicone, a family of soft, gelatinous plastics! And there are various liquid silicon compounds, such as silicic acid.

In the oceans, silicon exists primarily as orthosilicic acid (H4SiO4), and its biogeochemical cycle is regulated by the group of algae known as the diatoms. These algae polymerise the silicic acid to so-called biogenic silica, used to construct their cell walls...

Interestingly, Wikipedia also says that orthosilicic acid is found in humans (and other animals) and:
...found in numerous tissues including bone, tendons, aorta, liver and kidney. Compelling data suggest that silica is essential for health...

OK, so silicon does not exist in DF as a pure mineral. (Pure silicon crystals are very rarely found in nature.) But silicon just happens to be the most common element in the universe. And it's the second most abundant element (after oxygen) on Earth, making up nearly a third of the mass of the crust (surface). Basically, most rocks and minerals contain large amounts of silicon. In fact, many types of gemstones are crystalline forms of silicon compounds, with other elements and compounds giving rise to the various bright colors which are so highly prized.

What I'm saying is that describing these blobs and slimes as having a "rock affinity" could make sense. It may not be simulated in game, but perhaps some of these literally eat (digest with acid) rock for sustenance? At the least, this would explain why they have gem cores and how rough gems can be extracted from their goo. And since studies show that "bioavailable orthosilicic acid" is useful as a nutritional supplement, perhaps this would explain why eating slime jelly could be nutritious for growing dwarves?  :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:51:51 pm by Thundercraft »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 05:50:41 pm »

...I am inspired. I need slimes now.
くコ:彡
Pages: [1] 2