Are you excited for 0.40.02 update?

I'm dying with excitement!
- 0 (0%)
Is that even a question?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 28, 2011, 11:05:45 am

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies  (Read 17199 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 06:43:18 pm »

I was wondering how do you attach a tilset to my mod? I really want to use Thundercraft's tileset but I don't know how. I kind want to use it in my next update, oh and Thudercraft you don't mind if use you tileset right?

Sorry about that. As I mentioned in my thread, it still needs a custom graphics_tcraft_blob.txt file to go in the "Dwarf Fortress\raw\graphics\" folder. I will be working on it tonight, but I've got a few chores to get out of the way first.

BTW: To give you an idea of the types of gems that silicon-based slimes could create:
Wikipedia > Silicon
Silica occurs in minerals consisting of (practically) pure silicon dioxide in different crystalline forms. Amethyst, agate, quartz, rock crystal, chalcedony, flint, jasper, and opal are some of the forms in which silicon dioxide appears.
Silicon also occurs as silicate minerals (various minerals containing silicon, oxygen and one or another metal), for example the feldspar group. These minerals occur in clay, sand and various types of rock such as granite and sandstone. Feldspar, pyroxene, amphibole, and mica are a few of the many common silicate mineral groups.
Silicon is a principal component of many meteorites, and also is a component of obsidian and tektites, which are natural forms of glass.
Wikipedia > Silicate Minerals
The silicate minerals make up the largest and most important class of rock-forming minerals, constituting approximately 90 percent of the crust of the Earth. They are classified based on the structure of their silicate group.
What follows is a long list of minerals, including several gems and stones that DF has such as:
Garnet, Emerald, Topaz, Tourmaline, Olivine, Zircon, Citrine, and many more.

Edit: It might help if your description on the download page was a bit more detailed. If nothing else, you could copy and paste some stuff from your readme file. (Some folks will not bother downloading and looking for a readme unless they have more of a description to go on to decide if it's worth the effort.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:42:46 pm by Thundercraft »

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating jelly can help growing dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 01:44:59 pm »

Thundercraft I changed the colour of the snow fury blobs so to the appropriate colour I was wondering if I should lower their Fixed temp or maybe make them not so deadly but then again that would take all the FUN out of them. Thank you all of you for allow my mod to get this far. I was going to give up on it. I was thinking of what Thundercraft said should I make it so that blob,slimes,and Jellies skin or even fluid are made of siliceous ooze. (I'm most likely going to do this but I want your tips on how ,or what else I could do.) I noticed while playing that bog slimes literally ate all the grass they came in contact with (most likely because the necrosis they cause) should I make it so that all other slimes, and jellies can do this. (without making them all cause necrosis such as not describing where it would effect.) so then they'll destroy grass without causing rotting flesh. I was thinking of adding rocky slimes or slimes that are coated in a hard silicon coating (As described by Thundercraft.) or even gem slimes. maybe even a critter slime that has a fragile shell that when thrown, and if their shell shatters the internal fluid explodes. (also described by Thundercraft.) effectively creating hand thrown bombs. Speaking of bombs what if I add them as creature along with spore spheres in Nethack. actually I think I might add those last set of creature for another mod. (bombs and spore spheres) for another mod. I think I might add living goo too which would be a creature with no skin but would be living fluid (with eyes and a core for weak spots) and range in different sizes such as critters or dragon sizes ones. Which also gives me another idea what if I  it make so that while underground you find a slime or goo sea, which is actually a living creature that though harmless could be a ultimate beast  which could give a WHOLE lot of wealth if killed. It could turn hostile if you try to kill it ,such as trying to mine it core for resources, (it core would be huge) and try to flood your fortress with goo or send armies after armies of blob,slimes,jellies,amoebas,puddings,ect at you.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:28:13 pm by Xasio7 »
Check out my Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod and the Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack. Now with more slime goodness! (Any feedback is greatly appreciated.)

The perfect birthday present, a cute and cuddly blood blob, and for those growing dwarves try some jelly from a jelly, now with new range of flavors to try from.

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 02:08:24 pm »

Just looking at this means I'm going to have to add a WHOLE LOT of thing for the next update. The updated graphic set looks SOO COOL I'm going to have to step it up just to be able to keep up with you.
Actually, I'm thinking of adding two more colors (dark gray and aqua blue) and fine tuning the brightness and saturation a bit. I may even change the dark red into brown (for mud). But that's about all I will change for a while.

Honestly, you should not feel obligated to create a creature for every tile or to even keep up. In fact, I'm thinking it might be best to leave a few of these without a corresponding creature for future expansion. Some other DF fans might want to add a few slimes/blobs/jellies of their own to what you've created (for their own games, if not for public release).

So just pick and choose which ones you want (e.g., to fit your creature's traits) by specifying the creature's color. I'll try to fit my graphics tiles to match your color choice.

However, one type of creature I really wish you would add at some point are those with a cold attribute or special attack. I want my frost slimes / jellies. ;D I have nothing against aqua-colored water slimes. But I created the light blue color with frost in mind.

I have this weird idea of dwarves utilizing a Flintstones-esque refrigeration system using caged frost creatures. I've thought up some workshop reactions that could require the use of such refrigeration in order to work. (One involves a poison extract that evaporates into a poison gas at room temperature. I would have it use naturally cold Nether-cap wood ammo to deliver it to an enemy, at which point it should - in theory - explosively boil.)

Ah, that gives me another idea! Perhaps we could have a type of blob that would explode when exposed to above room temperature (like body temps of [HOMEOTHERM:10059] or higher) or even from a minor injury? Something like this was discussed in the MODDER'S WORKSHOP thread over a week ago:
You can give a creature burning hot vapor for blood.  If you don't make the creature resistant to high temperatures, it will melt itself after being injured the first time.  Change the blood tags to something like this...

That would be similar to those floating Bomb creatures in Final Fantasy Tactics or Prinnies in Disgaea. It may not be very useful in Fortress Mode. But I could see it used as a thrown weapon in Adventure Mode (like how that bronze colossus was decapitated by throwing a fluffy wambler at its head).

Finally, I have some suggestions on the type of tissues and materials that slimes and blobs could be made of. I was reading the Siliceous ooze page on the wiki (which is a type of soil found on the floors of deep oceans) and it reminded me that silicon-based life is said to be theoretically possible (being analogous to Earth's carbon-based life). Such is discussed here and here.

While the stereotype is for silicon-based life to be rock-hard and resemble stone or crystal, many silicon compounds also exist in liquid and gas. For example, silane is theorized to be a precursor to silicon life and it's a gas that is spontaneously flammable on exposure to air, even at low temperatures. [See my exploding blobs suggestion above.] Another sign of silicon life that astronomers look for is traces of silicones... Yes, that silicone, a family of soft, gelatinous plastics! And there are various liquid silicon compounds, such as silicic acid.

In the oceans, silicon exists primarily as orthosilicic acid (H4SiO4), and its biogeochemical cycle is regulated by the group of algae known as the diatoms. These algae polymerise the silicic acid to so-called biogenic silica, used to construct their cell walls...

Interestingly, Wikipedia also says that orthosilicic acid is found in humans (and other animals) and:
...found in numerous tissues including bone, tendons, aorta, liver and kidney. Compelling data suggest that silica is essential for health...

OK, so silicon does not exist in DF as a pure mineral. (Pure silicon crystals are very rarely found in nature.) But silicon just happens to be the most common element in the universe. And it's the second most abundant element (after oxygen) on Earth, making up nearly a third of the mass of the crust (surface). Basically, most rocks and minerals contain large amounts of silicon. In fact, many types of gemstones are crystalline forms of silicon compounds, with other elements and compounds giving rise to the various bright colors which are so highly prized.

What I'm saying is that describing these blobs and slimes as having a "rock affinity" could make sense. It may not be simulated in game, but perhaps some of these literally eat (digest with acid) rock for sustenance? At the least, this would explain why they have gem cores and how rough gems can be extracted from their goo. And since studies show that "bioavailable orthosilicic acid" is useful as a nutritional supplement, perhaps this would explain why eating slime jelly could be nutritious for growing dwarves?  :D
What if I make a exploding slime that burst when punctured. I would do this by making it so that their fluid combust at low temp, set the hemotherm low, and fixed temp low as well so when they get punctured BAM!! of goes the head. :)(check Thundercrafts replies) . Also I was thinking of adding a slime that could make webs but I don't even know how that would make sense, but it would be cool. I was thinking of adding an orange marmalade jelly. Along with a raspberry Jelly,Cranberry Jelly,blueberry jelly (cobalt), Pineapple jelly, and chocolate Jelly (I don't know how that makes sense but Jellies have edible names, but are actually getting there colors from the metals, and rocks they eat, which is discussed in the the replies from Thundercraft above.) I might be spacing out the release of updates so I can test them out before I release the updates to make sure they work. ( which I kind of wasn't doing.)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:50:13 pm by Xasio7 »
Check out my Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod and the Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack. Now with more slime goodness! (Any feedback is greatly appreciated.)

The perfect birthday present, a cute and cuddly blood blob, and for those growing dwarves try some jelly from a jelly, now with new range of flavors to try from.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 04:38:54 am »

Also I was thinking of adding a slime that could make webs but I don't even know how that would make sense, but it would be cool.
It might be cool, but I just don't see how it could make sense. IMO, slimes and blobs are weird enough as it is. And there's already enough interesting things we can do with them without making a "spider" version.

Anyway, I found something interesting related to gelatinous slime and silicon:

Wikipedia > Silica gel
...a granular, vitreous, highly porous form of silica made synthetically from sodium silicate. Despite its name, silica gel is a solid.
It is a naturally occurring mineral...

This stuff is often used inside dessicant packs to keep stuff dry. You know, those tiny "pillows" and capsules inside vitamin bottles and electronics. However, there's more than one type of dessicant used and they may not contain any silica gel.

NOTE: Pure silica gel is supposed to be non-toxic. But the stuff used in desiccants often contain poisonous dopants.

In theory, it should be possible to rehydrate the stuff into a gelatinous goo. Silica gel is originally created as such a goo, but it's usually dehydrated into tiny beads.

Oh, and here's some recipies on how to make slime, flubber, goo, and ooze at home. Most of these recipies use common kitchen or household ingredients: Bizarre Slime - The page that dripped SLIME!

And here's one more: How to Make Rubber With Corn Starch, Water and Vinegar

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 05:20:38 am »

You might want to consider giving many of your blob and slime creatures the [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] token. I say this because beer is a rich source of dietary silicon. So dwarves have another reason to fear these creatures!

And I hereby propose that the only type of gem that blobs, slimes, jellies and the like can naturally produce is opal. My reasoning:

* There are 27 different types of opal in Dwarf Fortress. (Yes I counted them!) And they come in a variety of colors. See my color list below.
* Most opals have a material value of either 10 or 20. The exception is black opal, with a material value of 30. I'd say that either 10 or 20 is far better than the 2 which a lot of low-value gems have, but it's still a far cry from the 60 that diamonds and star rubies/sapphires have. It seems like a happy medium.
* Precious opal is composed of microscopic silica spheres in a close-packed lattice. It is an amorphous form of silicon dioxide. Cementing together microscopic silica spheres sounds like something that could be produced by a silicon lifeform at near room temperature. (Creating other types of gems in real life requires high temperatures and/or enormous pressure.)
* Opal is a mineraloid, meaning it is a non-crystaline mineral-like substance. Several types of mineraloids are produced in nature by or from living things, including pearls, amber (fossilized tree resin), lignite (fossilized wood), and petroleum.
* Opal's structure is amorphous (shapeless). What could be a more fitting gem for an amorphous creature?
* Chemically, opal is hydrated silica, meaning the stone contains a significant amount of water. I would imagine that gelatinous blobs, slimes and jellies would be made up of mostly water - much like any lifeform on Earth is mostly water.

Trivia: Obsidian glass is mostly amorphous silicon dioxide, too. But glass is a solid solution, not a mineraloid.

Aside from dropping opals, I think the dwarven workshop you mentioned should allow dwarves to obtain other silicon-based gems. Dwarves seem highly innovative and the high temperatures from their furnaces and magma forges might be enough to grow synthetic gemstones from silicon-based goo.

Here's my updateded color chart proposal:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trivia: The needle in the mouth of a female mosquito is made of silica.

Yes, I actually spent several hours searching on Wikipedia and Google to make sure all those gems in the "other silicon-based gems" were silicon-based and that the gem's color matched the category. (For instance, diamond is carbon-based and has no silicon. And ruby has no silicon, either.)

What I'm proposing is that the slimes, blobs, and/or jellies will drop an opal on death (instead of bone) and it would also be obtainable from the butcher shop. If more than one opal is listed for a given color, you choose. And for the custom workshop you are planning on, I'd say there should be options to obtain more than one type of gem from my "Other silicon-based gems" list. Ether that, or perhaps there's a way to make the output of a reaction random?

The thing is, though, the player will have to choose whether to process the goo from slimes/blobs/jellies in the workshop to obtain gems, or store it as food. Correct? And that means the player would have to decide what his/her dwarves need more: food or gems.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:23:41 am by Thundercraft »

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »

I am planning on adding an exploding blob, and a dragon blob, a lava slime, a wide variety of Jellies, and a new amoeba; once I'm done bug hunting. I also Plan on adding a Megabeast blob that's easy to kill but its goo is very fetal in the sense of instant fun on contact.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:02:23 pm by Xasio7 »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 08:19:59 pm »

FYI: I've updated my Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack today to fit with version 0.2 of xasio7's "Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies" mod. (Version 0.2 can be downloaded here.) I added graphics pointers for the Lime Pudding, Golden Moss, Jade Moss, Pale Moss, Crimson Moss, and the Wooly Amoeba.

Sorry about the long hiatus. I know I missed a couple of updates on Xasio7's mod. Mostly due to major life events, I've been away from Dwarf Fortress for a while.

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 08:33:25 am »

Sorry about the long hiatus. I know I missed a couple of updates on Xasio7's mod. Mostly due to major life events, I've been away from Dwarf Fortress for a while.

I wasn't able to update my mod same reason so its ok. I'm just glad someone is willing to help me :D.

I'm adding a whole lot of Jellies now using the flavors you suggested. Thanks for that because it saves me hours probably days just to think up something original especially that much original content.

I decided on how the workshops will be used; one would be used to make cores, another for mixing slimes,jelly ,etc , and for extract the essence from slime or the metal or mineral from jelly, and then one for binding essence to metal and other material so that they have that property of the essence. (essence will have stronger syndromes then normal slime and amoeba core could be used as a base.)

I'm also decided what the names of the first set of mega beast are going to be that's all I'm saying about them. blob: divine blob, slime: umbral slime, Jelly: ambrosia jelly, pudding: dwarf pudding,
amoeba:titian amoeba, mold: hell fever mold. (for the mold I'm going to make two molds with same name one will be a hive the other will be a walking creature slow but walking)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:35:38 am by Xasio7 »

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 11:02:54 am »

I decided to install the mod and combined it with Fortress Defense.

First thing i want to say: I really love the slimes, they now are everywhere in more variations than i ever could have imagined.

Second: Both Mods really hate me....

Code: [Select]
A vile Force of Dark Stranglers arrives!
*wait 1 minute, positioning my military at my entrance*
The Zombie Red Dragon Blob Ibruk has come! An ancient blob covered in dull hued scale. Known for their flames.
*repositioning military, slightly panicking, 1 minute later the stranglers come into sight of my...*
A vile Force of Beak Wolves arrives!

Seems like my Fortress will be having an awful lot of !!FUN!!

If i survive ill probably play around with the syndromes of your slimes.
If i make a lava moat and plunge some slimes into it (possibly after bathing them and then dumping their bathtup-water into the lava), would that work for dissolving their syndrome-afflicting-materials?

Someone64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:43 am »

Hmm... It seems the game crashes ("Dwarf Fortress.exe has stopped working") when i generate a world. Am I doing something wrong? These are the files i inserted into the game:   http://www.mediafire.com/?jrrz3ohjpov5thb

edit: I was using Dwarf Fortress 34.07 btw.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:33:05 am by Someone64 »
Pages: 1 [2]