Bonobo
- 142 (18.7%)
Gorilla
- 157 (20.7%)
People
- 407 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 757

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 153

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!  (Read 575153 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!
« Reply #1950 on: December 10, 2012, 12:55:13 pm »

It does seem to keep dieing because no one ever selects a winner or throws out a new forgotten beast.  Anyone have a beast they want drawn?
Nom nom nom

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: December 10, 2012, 08:20:15 pm »

That's why it's the forgotten beast art contest! *rimshot*

Seriously though, the format is flawed. It seems the best artists (and thus the people most likely to win) are very bad at following up on the thread to keep it moving forward.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: December 10, 2012, 08:55:47 pm »

I think we should probably drop the serious "contest" bit if we want the thread to survive. It's probably keeping out folks who don't really want their doodles to be seriously judged (and don't see the point of trying when we have some fantastic artists who tend to win the right to offer descriptions anyway). What if it becomes a place where people can leave descriptions of FBs they thought were cool, and artists of all skill levels can be inspired to draw them?

I know it's not much different from the fanart or adventure drawing threads, but forgotten beasts are a worthy subject in their own right, for their procedural weirdness.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: December 10, 2012, 09:02:23 pm »

I'm okay with that, but we'll need Stone Wera to rename the thread.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: December 10, 2012, 10:04:20 pm »

or one of us could make a new thread and link to it from here (with a picture to start with might help)

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: December 11, 2012, 03:25:01 am »

The name doesn't really matter, now does it?
IMO, you should just go with this format:
Everyone is allowed to post descriptions of FBs they want to see drawn, and everyone can draw any posted FBs, or any FBs they themselves have found.
After all, we just want to see drawings of any and all FBs. Right?

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #1956 on: December 13, 2012, 08:16:50 am »

I always thought the thread worked well. You would see drawings from all sorts of artists at different levels. And just because someone's depiction LOOKED the best, didn't necessarily mean it was going to win. I usually voted for the one with the most heart...

I know I have forgotten about this thread, there weren't many people participating, and I don't know if anyone ever picked the last winner! I like the format of 'everyone draws the same FB' because you get to see everyone's visualization of the same thing. But if you think opening it up to pick one of many and just draw what you like would work better, maybe we should start a new thread about it. Post 5-10 FB in a thread, and anyone can post their picture of one of them. What do you think?
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: December 13, 2012, 08:18:01 pm »

Well yes, that would be the optimum setup. I just meant that instead of being tied to waiting for a winner, anyone could contribute a FB when things slowed down. Likewise, newcomers would always be free to have a crack at previous FBs. What I think we should actively discourage is people coming in with a FB and a drawing at the same time, since that would pull the thread toward "hey look at the FB I drew" rather than "let's all do this together."
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #1958 on: December 14, 2012, 08:42:48 am »

Well yes, that would be the optimum setup. I just meant that instead of being tied to waiting for a winner, anyone could contribute a FB when things slowed down. Likewise, newcomers would always be free to have a crack at previous FBs. What I think we should actively discourage is people coming in with a FB and a drawing at the same time, since that would pull the thread toward "hey look at the FB I drew" rather than "let's all do this together."

Yep, sounds good. So do you have a FB so we can get started drawing!? I think we all just wanna draw! haha
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

Gameboon

• Bay Watcher
  • In Sovjet-Dwarfland, dwarf commands you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: December 20, 2012, 10:44:21 am »

Hello all,

I´ve started reading this topic a couple of days ago from first page (currently at page 59) to see some cool FB's. I decided that I might also join in this drawing fun-ness. What is the current format? Someone posts a FB and ppl draw? Or just a list of FB's and we all draw something we like from that list?

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: December 20, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »

The whole thing sadly has kinda stagnated right now, and IMO anything that brings some content into the thread is very welcome. We should drop the "contest" idea like stronggruder said. If you drew an amazing beast or have found one in your fortress that you think is amazing, post it. Anyone who wants to draw it can draw if he wants. If he or she wants to post his or her own pic/description, then go for it. Content and keeping the thread alive should be more important that some competitive format.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: December 21, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »

So sad to see this amazing thread die...

DeferoMortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you know why you fear the night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: December 22, 2012, 12:15:17 am »

Yeah activity seems to come in waves. I kind of liked the contest aspect  it had for a while but it seems to cause the whole thing to stall out eventually. The lack of anyone really dedicated to moving the contest forward didn't help.

I don't think anyone would become very upset if it just became a place to post your beast drawings and such.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Repository!
« Reply #1963 on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:19 am »

Why not "The Forgotten Beast Art Repository"?

DeferoMortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you know why you fear the night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: December 22, 2012, 01:06:44 am »

Here is a little somethin' to try and keep this weary thing going

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Done with ink and retouched with photoshop.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 153