Bonobo
- 142 (18.7%)
Gorilla
- 157 (20.7%)
People
- 407 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 757

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 153

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!  (Read 573824 times)

Gameboon

• Bay Watcher
  • In Sovjet-Dwarfland, dwarf commands you!
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!
« Reply #1995 on: December 26, 2012, 05:24:08 pm »

Very cool, thanks. I still wonder why they think that's a cat LOL

Aaaah...I kinda forgot about that part... But hey, there are dead people and fleeing people there, so I guess they wanted to pet the kitty, until it transformed into a giant leech? :P

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: December 26, 2012, 05:36:49 pm »

If you seriously want the contest back in, then could we please add the following to the rules:

1. The winner of the last round needs to pick a winner one week after the last contribution was made. If he fails to do so, someone should post a new description or something to keep the thing going.

2. People who want to contribute pics or descriptions outside of the contest should be free to do so, whether it is the contest FB or not.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #1997 on: December 26, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »

Urist, light up another torch. Mine went out again....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dude that thing is jacked up. Reminds me of No-Face from spirited away a little.
Always been a big fan of  Hayao Miyazaki, his vast imagination never seizes to amaze me.
Bored? Any work by him combined with the mindaltering substance of your choice is guaranteed to be interesting. ^^

If you seriously want the contest back in, then could we please add the following to the rules:

1. The winner of the last round needs to pick a winner one week after the last contribution was made. If he fails to do so, someone should post a new description or something to keep the thing going.

2. People who want to contribute pics or descriptions outside of the contest should be free to do so, whether it is the contest FB or not.

1. Missed the fact that B12-members has the punctuality of a mutilated, blind and dehydrated amarillo using ukrainian public transport?

2. Has been the case for quite some time now. ;D

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:55:18 pm by slowpokez »

DeferoMortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you know why you fear the night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: December 26, 2012, 05:49:43 pm »

I don't think that waiting a week after the last contribution is really unnecessary unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean. From when I participated in the past one week from the posting of the beast description was quite enough time. The rules in my sig have something for if the new winner doesn't post. Disregard that. I'll add something in for if the winner doesn't choose.

Agreed on number 2.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:52:47 pm by DeferoMortis »

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:27 pm »

I don't think that waiting a week after the last contribution is really unnecessary unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

I think, you are. The thing is, the thread nearly died last time, because the person who won and posted the next description never turned up again to choose a winner despite being reminded by PM and everything. I think we need a standard procedure for that case, just like we need one when the winner doesn't post a description. In the former case I'd suggest we let random.org decide who wins. For the latter, maybe we could say everyone posts a description, and then we let random.org decide which one will be drawn, and the person who posted the desc is the new judge?

I hope I can get the idea across with this post...

DeferoMortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: December 26, 2012, 06:53:26 pm »

So you're wanting a shorter time to picking the winner then? When I was doing it before we had about a ~3 day limit but people have work and school and such so they were having a hard time getting stuff in so we changed to weekly.

However since were opening it up to submissions besides the contest a shorter time period would probably be fine.

I do think though that a hard time frame would be better than a last submission method since submissions will be harder to tack with people submitting that are not involved with the contest. It additionally makes it easier to know when we need to move on from lack of participation on the winners part.

as for electing someone to take a winners place I have no preference. Your suggested web site could be used, we could vote, or it could just be a first come first serve kinda thing if the winner goes past their deadline.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: December 27, 2012, 03:45:45 am »

Just gonna put this here and hope that I get better at drawing.

I like the iconic way of drawing, looks a bit mayan to me

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: December 27, 2012, 06:27:01 am »

I just think we need a standard procedure in case the one guy who should post a description or pick a winner just vanishes, because the thread went offtopic the last time.

Hard time frame seems cool to me.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: December 27, 2012, 07:02:35 am »

Not very "gaunt" but who cares :P

Well, right now while I was drawing the fb it about midnight, you know it's dark,quiet and etc. Suddently out of nowhere rcms speeddrawing video starts up and for some reason I had my volume turned up to max...needless to say I literally fell out of my chair. I guess it must have been lagging and then decided to start again an hour later :P

I've been somewhat unable to contribute lately but I've seen some very cool stuff here and I'd like to say you're all awsome :D

Did you use MSPaint in this one?

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #2004 on: December 27, 2012, 07:46:50 am »

Not very "gaunt" but who cares :P

Well, right now while I was drawing the fb it about midnight, you know it's dark,quiet and etc. Suddently out of nowhere rcms speeddrawing video starts up and for some reason I had my volume turned up to max...needless to say I literally fell out of my chair. I guess it must have been lagging and then decided to start again an hour later :P

I've been somewhat unable to contribute lately but I've seen some very cool stuff here and I'd like to say you're all awsome :D

Did you use MSPaint in this one?
Doesn't the lack of shading indicate that? ^^

Tbh i think if you wanna get serious with your drawing you'll have to pay at some point, could be a scanner n good tools or a decent program...I don't fckn know :P

For a pic like this though I gotta use Gimp to split up the layers.

Pros n Cons with using gimp

Pros-
1Free.
2Got lots of stuff.
3If you want to make extremly bad animations and doesnt have flash? Gimp is the nr 1 tool for making really bad animations!

Cons-
1Stuff can be complicated and it's not really explained anywhere... A lot of trial and error. Might not be true for everyone but for me who hadn't drawn before it wasn't easy to get into.
2It's pretty fckn unreliable. Been drawing for 1 hour without bothering to save? 9/10 times this is where gimp decides to crash  :'(
3 I dont know how to save pictures without fckn up the quality  :-\  It might be impossible, it might be difficult to figure out or I might be retarded. Either way I needed a third con to balance stuff out  :P

tl;dr- Ask someone who knows this stuff!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: December 27, 2012, 11:47:25 am »

Save as PNG and you won't lose quality.

Gameboon

• Bay Watcher
  • In Sovjet-Dwarfland, dwarf commands you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: December 27, 2012, 12:25:18 pm »

Sooo.....the current idea is 1 week till deadline for submissions? I think that's fine.

I don't really care in what manner we determine how to choose the next beast/choose the winner if the person who posts the FB description does not show up. I guess the random thing is alright.

But now, anyone gonna post a description so we can get moving again :-)?

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: December 27, 2012, 07:11:11 pm »

This is a truly terrifying spectacle by the random number generator in necro scribbles. All craftsmanship is of the dorfiest quality. It depicts forgotten beasts. This artwork relates to the creation of the forgotten beasts in a time before time by Toady One the Great.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #2008 on: December 30, 2012, 09:08:52 pm »

Maybe set deadlines on actual days. Make it a week-long contest, winner is picked Sunday, new FB picked that day too. You'll have all week to draw, if you don't have time, there's always Saturday.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

DeferoMortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: December 31, 2012, 12:10:13 am »

Sounds good to me. I'll go ahead and post a description for the contest since no one else has yet.

I'll pick a winner Sunday.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 153