Bonobo
- 142 (18.7%)
Gorilla
- 157 (20.7%)
People
- 407 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 757

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 153

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!  (Read 575344 times)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!
« Reply #2205 on: February 04, 2013, 01:16:18 pm »

Nah dude catholic senior official all the way dude. Love to see a one eyed, mandibled dude in red with fire breath and burning blood.

Fucking things up because he's a boss.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: February 04, 2013, 02:06:28 pm »

ROFL

I imagine Cardinal Richelieu, Rising from the pits of hell, and laying waste to the countryside!

Great big mandibles on his lips instead of that silly curled up mustache! And BURNING STIGMATA! :D

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #2207 on: February 05, 2013, 07:40:45 am »

Here is my take on Omethu, just wanted to share! Working on the new FB and also Queca Lionislands!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: February 08, 2013, 12:25:24 pm »

Here's my attempt to illustrate Midil, that flamy featherball that burned my woodfarm and killed my poor dorfs.

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #2210 on: February 08, 2013, 01:21:58 pm »

Here's my attempt to illustrate Midil, that flamy featherball that burned my woodfarm and killed my poor dorfs.

You NEED to do a WIP/step by step/time lapse of your work. I can't even imagine how you get your results; your brain must work so much differently than mine!
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: February 08, 2013, 01:31:06 pm »

You NEED to do a WIP/step by step/time lapse of your work. I can't even imagine how you get your results; your brain must work so much differently than mine!
this yes, you do, that would be AWESOMEAZING

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: February 08, 2013, 02:32:57 pm »

The secret to graphite, and any "shades based" technique is to think of everything as just a shape, with a reflectivity. An eye is not an eye. It's just a shape.

An antelope is not an antelope. It's a bunch of shapes. This is how you get yourself used to working with negative space elements, like bright white areas, especially when they have no bordering edge. 

A good learning experience is a negative-drawing experience, with a scratch board, where you draw the negative, instead of the positive. (you remove black, revealing white.)

(Does graphite too. Not just pixel art. Limited by the resources available to me at work. MSPaint is ubiquitous.)

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: February 09, 2013, 10:57:43 am »

Wierd pretty much summed it up. Not only painting/drawing space, but also knowing where to leave it white. Digital painting is way easier thanks to editing and fixing ability.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: February 09, 2013, 04:29:38 pm »

"Scamps was a forgotten beast. It was the only one of its kind. An towering hairy cat. It has large claws and and it squirms and fidgets. Its taupe hair is short and shaggy. Beware its poisonous bite ! Scamps was associated with fire, theft and caverns.

In a time before time, Scamps began wandering the depths of the world"

:)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: February 09, 2013, 04:56:48 pm »

I dunno... You learn different twitch movements when dealing with "live medium", like paint, to control the brush stroke in ways that a digital medium does not capture. For instance, using a liner with payne's grey around an eyeball, you can twitch the bristles to go just a little one way or another with very subtle movements that you cant get with a digital stylus pad. To get the same effect, you often have to create multiple layers on top, and do teensy tiny brush actions zoomed way in.

Being the child of a former professional artist, you just cant escape without picking up lots of different techniques in multiple mediums.  I got essentially what counts as a formal art training over an entire childhood...

(My mother used to be a professional artist for Chance Rides inc, back in the 1990s, when they were the "World's finest", before they were downsized into oblivion by an injected banking financial partner. She did a lot of hand painting work on the "Show" animals that go on the outer ring of a carousel, and also designed and carved many of their unique animal designs.  Before hiring her, they mostly used retouched Bradley and Kaye animals, but afterwards they got many unique ones, like a triceratops. (That was created during the last year mom worked there, and has a story behind it. The bank's financial "advisor" had ordered the destruction of the original mold plug for the rhinoceros, which is a crime against art--- (The original mold plug is used to recreate the mold, and is the *ORIGINAL* art.) Rather than see it totally destroyed, and leave nothing behind but a void, mom and several co-conspirators salvaged the sawed up parts from the refuse bin, and created the triceratops from it, using automotive bondo, marine grade fiberglass resin, a pair of nylon pantyhose, some modeling clay, and 2 wooden dowels. They did it in secret, and presented it to the owner, Dick Chance, the next time he made a tour, as a personal present.) It's fun for me to see Chance carousels, because I REMEMBER mom making the original art for many of their panels, and riders as well. For instance, the "Jester head" panels that go on the 50ft "Grand" carousel, as seen in this brochure were made using high density foamboard, and yellow children's modeling clay on our kitchen table. The model for the golden liberty seen there on the rider bench, is actually my aunt Joyanne, My mom's sister. LOL. Her work is literally all over the world, and even in the smithsonian, but she herself is a figure of obscurity. I cant even begin to describe how "Crazy-good" she is.)

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: February 10, 2013, 04:22:12 pm »

No drawings/paintings? Pick a new forgotten beast.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: February 10, 2013, 05:30:05 pm »

Was just too busy this week. :( 

When the employer puts the orders in the little red folders, it means I cant screw off at work.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: February 10, 2013, 05:37:29 pm »

With the new semester this week i barley had time to doodle. Let alone draw for this contest.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: February 12, 2013, 10:56:14 am »

With the new semester this week i barley had time to doodle. Let alone draw for this contest.
Maybe you could try again next wheat.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 153