Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your fort's temples ?  (Read 2367 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your fort's temples ?
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:59:12 pm »

What are people's thoughts and experiences with building temples in their forts ?

I have a bunch of smallish temples set up, in a 6x5 space, with 5x5 being the floor, and a statue of the deity and boxes for musical instruments in the 6th row. I also have a bigger temple for non-specific worship.

If a rampaging citizen toppled the statue, would the deity curse them ? Has anyone had that happen to them ?

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Re: Your fort's temples ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:16:03 pm »

I dont know but we should try it!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:27:39 pm »

As far as I understand, that's how you engineer curses. The deities have to be one of those who curse defilers, though, and those might not be the ones you have access to, i.e. the ones you can build temples to, at least not without accepting petitioning visitors who worship suitable gods.
At least that's the theory of how to do it, but I'm not sure I've heard of any who'd actually succeeded. Trolls have been suggested as ideal test subjects, due to their view on what to do with buildings...

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 01:35:51 am »

Dwarven deities will only use the curse that creates werecreatures. Human gods on the other hand, will also dispense vampirism curses as well. In order to create a vampire, have a troll topple any statue in the temple of a human god. You might get unlucky and make a troll werecreature, but I have personally seen vampires be created.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:35 am »

Dwarven deities will only use the curse that creates werecreatures. Human gods on the other hand, will also dispense vampirism curses as well. In order to create a vampire, have a troll topple any statue in the temple of a human god. You might get unlucky and make a troll werecreature, but I have personally seen vampires be created.
What's your source on this? I know of no mechanism by which the game could differentiate between the two, nor have I seen any mention of it before now.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:51:24 am by Urlance Woolsbane »
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 08:57:32 am »

As far as I understand, that's how you engineer curses. The deities have to be one of those who curse defilers, though.

Interesting.

One of my deities definitely curses people. Took me 12 attempts to have a statue of the deity built, that wasn't of the deity cursing someone to be a vampire.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 05:30:04 pm »

As far as I understand, that's how you engineer curses. The deities have to be one of those who curse defilers, though.

Interesting.

One of my deities definitely curses people. Took me 12 attempts to have a statue of the deity built, that wasn't of the deity cursing someone to be a vampire.

Trial and error, as well as studying the legends. In legends only human gods ever create vampires.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 11:26:53 pm »

Kinda makes sense, from a lore perspective. Dwarves are at least mildly disturbed by both nature and the sky so the single worst thing their gods can punish them with is turning them into an animal every now and then as the moon dictates.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:29:05 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 12:03:13 am »

Interesting.

Trial and error, as well as studying the legends. In legends only human gods ever create vampires.
That's because dwarves don't have temples to profane, no?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 08:47:21 am »

Yeah; dwarves never build temples at their sites, so of course those temples can't be profaned, so the dwarven gods never curse anyone. You should notice, if you look at legends, that dwarven deities also never deal out werebeast curses either.
Keep in mind that werebeasts can infect other people by biting them, whereas vampires have no means of spreading their curse - that's why you'll see more dwarven weres than vamps.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)