Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 340117 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« on: February 01, 2011, 06:43:40 pm »

14/09/2013 UPDATE: Very outdated post - check their page for more info! fractalsoftworks.com
--
Here I come with another promising indie title with sci-fi theme, unknown release date (soon), with building features, great looking, great concept..
And I probably found it because I'm great too.

Anyway: This is Starfarer, a "single-player sandbox style space role-playing game with strategic elements", as it says in their FAQ [Read it for moar info]

In short, it says you can customize your ship, get a fleet with custom officers, invest (build?) outposts in resourceful planets, and all the 'be a merchant, pirate, fighter, or all of the above' freedom these kind of Space games offer.
Also, they plan to make a living/meaningful economy, so you could have a profit by letting chaos spread on the habitable sectors, or offer your services for as long as evil exists.

You can see a small video and screenshots on their media section (I liked how suicidal and chaotic the battle looked btw).
The game's graphics looks like Distant Worlds, which is an awesome RTS and you probably know about it if you're reading this thread.

I hope your interest is enough to put this game on your "Waiting for" list, so you can be cursed to wait for it like I am.
Bai
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:31:44 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:46:57 pm »

Pre-orders currently open for $10 too---it will rise as the game gets closer to 1.0 and all as is the Indie style of lately.   One I've been watching since I heard about it elsewhere about a week ago.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:51:09 pm »

Gratuitous Space Battles meets Space Rangers 2?

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:51:18 pm »

All I can think is how fun this game would be to do an LP of.

Lethal Dosage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:14 pm »

Looks pretty good, I like the graphic style.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:48 pm »

Wow... more and more good games on the horizon...

The art of this one reminds me a bit of gratuitous space battles. Im a spaceship fanboy, so im gonna probably end up playing this xD

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:10:35 pm »

Gratuitous Space Battles meets Space Rangers 2?

Exactly.
But real-time (I hate turn-based, but I was playing Space Rangers 2 just know... u stalkin me? >:/), and with my beloved build features.
I want a carrier and 5 cruisers.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:21:09 pm »

Very cool find, thanks!

Definitely will put this on pre-order once I see a bit more released from the devs!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 01:34:21 am »

Is this an RTS or an RPG? I haven't seen anything remotely Escape Velocity yet.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 04:19:24 am »

This looks massively cool. I'm gonna keep an eye on this.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 04:46:09 am »

Thanks for finding this, looks like a fun one. Definitely interested.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 04:53:18 am »

interested.

however all we are currently seeing is battles, not the zoomed out role playing bit.

atliest i assume these battles are just arena situations. and then when they finish you zoom back out to real strategic map.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 05:12:50 am »

Do want.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 05:20:50 am »

Im just nitpicking, but the explosion could be more like in gratuitous space battles instead of one big bright BANG.

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 04:47:40 pm »

Hi, I'm the dev for Starfarer. Happy to see you guys are interested in the game - thought I'd drop in and talk about it a bit!

Is this an RTS or an RPG? I haven't seen anything remotely Escape Velocity yet.

It's a decidedly single-player sandbox RPG. The reason all of the videos/screenshots so far are showing battles is because that's what we've been spending the most (dev, if not design) time on until now. The good news is that combat has been just about beaten into a good state, and we're working on getting an alpha out soon. The alpha will be focused on combat and will have a couple of pre-set missions that represent the types of combat scenarios that will arise in the full game.

After that's out, we'll finally be able to delve into the adventure/rpg/strategic parts and give them the attention they deserve.

Oh, and just to make it clear, you're directly controlling your flagship (and giving orders to other ships in your fleet).

at least i assume these battles are just arena situations. and then when they finish you zoom back out to real strategic map.

Yeah - the combat takes place in a different space than the adventure/strategy.

Im just nitpicking, but the explosion could be more like in gratuitous space battles instead of one big bright BANG.

I've actually got "tesselate ships hulks when they explode" on my todo list - ought to make for a fun pile of collidable debris :) Still, I'm partial to the big bang with whiteout - it works well, especially to let you know when ships explode off screen. It's gradiented, so you can tell which direction the explosion happened in.

... and if there's something you want to know about Starfarer, don't hesitate to ask :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 155