Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 340567 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #1470 on: April 28, 2017, 02:45:36 pm »

Hat, was that with beams or with normal laser fire? Beams don't make hard flux.

Also afaik the tutorial ships are not randomized. You always get a hammerhead (d), a condor (d), a wolf (d), and the cannon fodder kite.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 28, 2017, 04:14:52 pm »

GOD DAMMIT WHERE IS THAT INFORMATION seriously tho I tried to look this up and couldn't find anything.  That makes a lot of sense from a balance perspective... guess I need to rethink my tactics.  Fortunately I didn't actually buy that ship ingame.

Spoiler: Story Time (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 28, 2017, 04:44:22 pm »

I dunno where exactly it is, but I heard it ages ago from either here or the starsector mod forums.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 28, 2017, 05:14:29 pm »

Oh wow, when did the Tachyon Lance get nerfed to shit? Used to take one so that I could reach out and touch stuff that kept running from my cap ships, but now that it's barely longer ranged than an Autopulse but costs 25% more OP there's no point. It was only ever good because of the range and burst damage combination, doesn't matter how much it does if it has DPS weapon range with sniping cooldown time and the same slow-as-molasses traverse.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 28, 2017, 05:15:31 pm »

Oh wow, when did the Tachyon Lance get nerfed to shit? Used to take one so that I could reach out and touch stuff that kept running from my cap ships, but now that it's barely longer ranged than an Autopulse but costs 25% more OP there's no point. It was only ever good because of the range and burst damage combination, doesn't matter how much it does if it has DPS weapon range with sniping cooldown time and the same slow-as-molasses traverse.
Its for paragons, who come with a doubled-range energy weapons hull mod now.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 28, 2017, 05:23:23 pm »

That's still at best a tiny fraction of what it used to be, though. Used to straight up be a second-tier High Intensity Laser with better range and damage profile. Now it's trash. You never took them because they were good main battery weapons, you took them because you could pick off fighters and frigates that played the constantly-run-away game and slip in fire when an enemy cap ship pulled back to vent.

3. Run Resize Enable

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 28, 2017, 05:26:18 pm »

Just stick a couple of ion pulsers on the rear med mounts. They'll clean up those friggen frigates.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 28, 2017, 05:42:39 pm »

Just stick a couple of ion pulsers on the rear med mounts. They'll clean up those friggen frigates.
Or just bring enough talons. They borrowed the broadsword wing's swarmer missiles.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 28, 2017, 05:53:41 pm »

'Borrowed'. The [REDACTED] Interceptors are even better; they're faster than talons, don't eat up crew, are tougher & chew through frigates and high-tech destroyers like nothing. Pair with daggers for maximum fun.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 29, 2017, 03:36:00 am »

Now that we have a new, much more streamlined (and I personally think, better) character skill tree, have we got a list of builds?

I assume with level 40 being the cap and getting 4 skill points when reaching level 2, we'll have 42 skill points to play with (correct me if I'm wrong though).

For my scavenger build, I'm considering below set. I don't assign any points into fighter and carrier related skills as I'm not sure about using them yet.

Leadership Aptitude 3
Officer Management 3
Fleet Logistics 3
Coordinate Manouvers 3
Total: 12

Technology Aptitude 3
Electronic Warfare 3
Loadout Design 3
Sensors 3
Navigation 3
Total: 15

Industry Aptitude 3
Recovery Operations 3
Field Repairs 3
Salvaging 3
Total: 12

Total used so far: 39 out of 42. Any feedback?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 29, 2017, 04:23:54 am »

Slap the last three points into fighter doctrine to help buff the carriers you're travelling with and you're golden.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:48:51 am by Taricus »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 29, 2017, 06:59:40 am »

Slap the last three points into fighter doctrine to help buff the carriers you're travelling with and you're golden.

Thanks, that's what I thought too.

Now, with the tutorial ships, I now know that we always get the same set of:
Hammerhead D
Condor D
Wolf D
Kite D

I don't like the fact that you can't fully restore D-variant ships, but I do realise that at early game, having a Hammerhead and Condor in my fleet would be great. The Kite is rubbish. Any opinions on which ships to recover and which ones to salvage?

EDIT: I tried salvaging all four D-ships and with only the Wayfarer and the Drone Tender (forgot its name) have been unable to defeat the two fleets guarding the inactive jumpgate, as required to progress the game. So I think we have no choice but to at least recover the Hammerhead and Condor.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:13:15 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 29, 2017, 08:36:16 am »

Level cap can be edited in setting.json, so you still can just eventually get all the things.

As far as ships go, if you just wanted the hammerhead and the condor, why not just skip the tutorial, hop over to Galatea, and see if those ships are still around that planet?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 29, 2017, 10:36:25 am »

I also really wish there was a way to remove D-mods. That, and better sale prices for ships (which seem to be universally in the gutter) and ways to decrease supply and fuel expenditures/a reduction in supply and fuel costs. I got Starfarer because I enjoyed the tactical combat, but these days you either have to grind for days to support anything above a handful of frigates or you cheat in resupply. I wouldn't mind as much if there was still a high enough skill ceiling to make running a frigate wolfpack practical for anything beyond fighting small groups of sub-capital ships, but everything has been so stabilized at a low level that it's pointless.

Obviously the old days with the surrender exploit where you could capture entire Hegemony fleets with a single frigate were crazy, but being able to outplay a superior force with a destroyer and a couple frigates should still be possible. You can't, though. I remember how I used to run a Medusa + three frigates and take out fleets with 2-3 cruisers and support staff through careful kiting and target selection. Impossible now.

It went from a tactical combat game to a logistics management game, which is dull as hell when there's no endgame beyond picking more pointless fights. It'd be one thing if Alex had already taken it full M&B with dozens of inhabited systems and the ability to found your own faction and hold territory, but he hasn't, so all of the logistical/industrial backend and anti-player pricing exists solely to make it more difficult to build and field a fleet by extending the grind.

3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1484 on: April 29, 2017, 11:01:40 am »

-snip-
Since you're using Alex's name, I'm assuming you've already given this feedback on the Starsector forums where he can see it? He's pretty good about responding to suggestions.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 155