Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 340574 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #1830 on: March 14, 2019, 09:21:59 pm »

Man hours spent vs processor resources spent.  Time is money... at some point it costs more to optimize code than it does to live with minor inefficiencies.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: March 15, 2019, 01:36:10 pm »

Eh, reckon that not actually eating your own production, but counting it fulfilled anyways contributes to spiraling out of control income.
But I suppose balancing that for faction colonies and their trade makes it a tad bit more difficult...  And much more vulnerable to disruptions. 
Not necessarily a bad thing, but the game probably is still missing features.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: March 15, 2019, 07:43:02 pm »

Takes a while to read through, but the forum thread about the upcoming patch on the official forums does get into this a bit. Also one interesting post (not by the developer, mind) about how this was an genuinely good way to represent production capacity as opposed to actual units produced/consumed, and how that actually does a better job at being realistic that tracking each individual widget.

Regardless, there are several tweaks coming to colonies in the next patch. Mainly nerfs to how quick/easy it is to make one that prints infinite money/supplies/fuel or having a single mega-colony that produces everything, but also some quality of life stuff like automatically starting construction of a spaceport upon establishing the colony.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: March 16, 2019, 12:23:19 am »

I find the idea of a colony with no spaceport kind of amusing, though.

I’m the end, I would just build one anyway, even if J thought it was hilarious to strand a few thousand people on a bombed-out rock with no easy access on or off.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: March 23, 2019, 02:49:20 pm »

I am going to give this game a try. Which mods are recommended?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: March 23, 2019, 03:53:20 pm »

just keep adding them until the game crashes, then take off the last one

nothing can go wrong with this, i swear
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: March 23, 2019, 04:30:04 pm »

I am going to give this game a try. Which mods are recommended?

this is a list of mods and their compatibility:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

from this list i recommend:

all the libs, you'll need them for pretty much every mod
nexerelin
ship/weapon pack
version checker
fix empty planets
combat chatter

actually, yeah, id recommend just downloading every 0.9 compatible mod that catches your interest.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 23, 2019, 04:33:42 pm »

I'd go with like Nexerelin and then whatever faction mods appeal to you.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: March 23, 2019, 06:22:54 pm »

Worth noting that not all faction mods are 'just' faction mods. Dassault-Mikoyan, Arkgneisis, and I think some others have additional 'hidden fun stuff' in them.

I'm going to be one of those people who recommends getting familiar with vanilla ships/tech before getting too many faction mods, though. Several of the mods go for more specialized/unusual approaches in their setups; playing with vanilla stuff first may help with understanding core mechanics before going to the weird stuff.

As an example, the SCY faction plays quite differently from others and AI sometimes has trouble handling their ships in this version. Also there are a few faction mods that are arguably overpowered, though the most popular ones are generally fairly balanced.

Nexerelin also changes the general dynamic of the galaxy quite a bit -- it arguably doesn't make the galaxy more hostile, but it may be a bit more chaotic. Might be better to not use it for one's first game.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1839 on: March 23, 2019, 07:17:47 pm »

Going without mods is definitely a good option in this game, especially on the first play through. There is plenty of content without adding mods, and most of the mods aren't really balanced the same way. Most of the mods that I have tried add unbalanced guns and ships. And going in without any knowledge of the game you wouldn't recognize it and could end up frustrated facing overpowered stuff, or relying too heavily on overpowered stuff so that you never really explore the tactical options in the game.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:19:57 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: March 24, 2019, 11:46:37 am »

Thanks for the advice. I will play the vanilla version first. Btw I find it weird that this game is not on Steam yet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: March 24, 2019, 11:59:34 am »

It is unusual given the rush by most devs to take advantage of the wide audience it offers.  As far as I know, the dev for Starsector doesn't want to go on Steam at least until it's ready for release due to the stress involved with such a large influx of population on the development, the community, and the dev's sanity.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: March 24, 2019, 12:56:51 pm »

I've owned the game since the beginning of this thread and I haven't felt the need to use mods. I just play each new version till I'm bored with it, then shelve the game untill next version comes around.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: March 24, 2019, 01:44:47 pm »

It's not a matter of need, silly :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: March 24, 2019, 02:25:30 pm »

What kinds of fleets do you guys usually use? I know mine has to consist of at least a few tankers, but that aside, what kinds of ships do you prefer to deploy in combat?

I usually just use whatever doesn't have too many D-mods (or, more specifically, degraded engines), and I usually wind up getting the smaller ships - shuttles, light frigates, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 155