Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 340311 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #1860 on: June 24, 2019, 10:02:21 pm »

The good thing though is the AI doesn't waste missile ammo. It's usually fairly smart with it. The AI will generally hold onto anti-armor missiles until an enemy ship is at max flux (so it can't throw up shields) or it itself needs some space and forces the enemy to back off.

The issue with Kites is that their trigger for 'OH GOD I NEED SPACE BEFORE I EXPLODE' usually consists of a cruiser looking at them funny. Which is, in all honesty, pretty legitimate. I've seen Kites use reapers to incredible effect, either by ramming them up something's tailpipe or using them to force a capital ship to overload their shields rather than eat a nuke, but I've also seen them 'panic' and drop them early if something like a medusa phases in and starts pressuring them - even if they have enough capital support that they should be able to hide behind.

To be clear, I don't think the behavior is bugged, but reaper Kites can be really hit or miss as far as usefulness goes.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: August 02, 2019, 04:55:30 pm »

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: August 02, 2019, 05:47:48 pm »

Huh, the review is pretty good.  Needs more updates before I boot it up again.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: August 04, 2019, 12:23:49 am »

Bought this after seeing Sseth's video. I love it. It's like mount and blade in space.

Now.... as a comissionee of the hegemony, who bans drugs, I probably shouldn't take these 230 drugs I just found off the pirates. On the other hand. They are worth a lot of money. Not sure what to do with them, as I expect getting caught with them will screw me over diplomatically.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: August 04, 2019, 12:28:55 am »

Now.... as a comissionee of the hegemony, who bans drugs, I probably shouldn't take these 230 drugs I just found off the pirates. On the other hand. They are worth a lot of money. Not sure what to do with them, as I expect getting caught with them will screw me over diplomatically.

As long as one is careful, running around with contraband isn't a problem. If you haven't been flagged for suspicious activity (and/or they don't dislike you) then you're not likely to get randomly searched. Just make sure to follow transponder laws when near Hegemony patrols, then dump 'em at a faction that has less qualms (or just less patrols). Pirate bases work pretty well for that, honestly - keep your transponder off near 'em and you're free to land, at least if you haven't blown up any nearby pirates lately.

That's the easiest way to deal with contraband, but there are plenty of other options out there for occasional smuggling. Generally speaking, and sort-of per the recent Youtube video, in Starsector you want to take the opportunities given to you.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: August 04, 2019, 08:06:49 am »

If you have access to the military market of any faction, they'll "buy" them through a no-questions asked program. You won't be getting the full price of course, but won't have to worry about diplomacy.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: August 05, 2019, 10:27:25 am »

If you are looking to carry contraband, I remember that there are some pirate type ships that have hidden compartments or something that will hide contraband from inspections.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: August 05, 2019, 10:36:05 pm »

Sseth's video also highlighted a few ways for you to smuggle without being caught - hide in asteroid fields so people won't notice you switching off your transponder, unlock the "Transverse Jump" ability to yeet your fleet away from fast pickets, and eventually get your rep up to the point where people can forgive the fact you're literally an interstellar drug dealer.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: August 10, 2019, 02:12:56 pm »

My one big piece of advice for a smuggler character: pick a faction to not smuggle goods to and from.  If you're successful enough, eventually factions will start investigating markets that you've smuggled in.  After a while you can end up with very few friends.

Edit: Also, if you're trapped hiding somewhere, you can jettison contraband and then turn your transponder back on.  Optionally you can spend supplies to stash the jettisoned containers there for a while and then come back later.  If they see you turn the transponder back on you're still going to get in trouble tho.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 02:17:12 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: August 10, 2019, 04:58:23 pm »

You can sell illegal shit in your own colonies as well, right? So that's one way to handle it. Setting up a colony takes hundreds of thousands, tho. Or used to, I haven't played with the most recent patch.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: August 10, 2019, 05:07:11 pm »

honestly if you have the capital for setting up a colony, you dont need to smuggle drugs (unless you're exporting them yourself for whatever reason). if you are selling to your own faction, you need to build a commerce thing to unlock a separate shop at the colony, and then you can sell to that.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: August 10, 2019, 05:12:08 pm »

Smuggling goods destabilizes the economy of the market, which I believes reduces its defenders.  So you might not want to do that.

Also yeah, once you make your first colony you ascend to a new level of making and spending money.  The amounts you were dealing with before become small potatos by comparison.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: August 11, 2019, 11:35:35 am »

Yeah, making millions with colonies is too easy - or used to be, as again, I haven't played with the newest patch. However, sometimes you find a load of drugs and feel leaving them is a waste, so selling them at your own place might fit that need. I believe mines need drugs to function anyway, so you can dump them at the colony invetory as an alternative.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: August 20, 2019, 09:20:54 pm »

I had the good fortune to restore a derelict Paragon Battleship with nothing but a degraded engine. Fixing that was 600k that could have gone anywhere else, but I'm satisfied with what I got out of it.
Tactical lasers, graviton beams, and high intensity lasers combined with the point defense AI mod is a great combination, I can mulch a carrier's entire strike group in seconds and then switch to focusing down nearby frigates on the fly. However, the main event so far has been the twin tachyon lances, slow to fire and heavy on the flux, but a direct hit will straight up delete anything smaller than a cruiser. Fights so far have all gone a little something like this:
Oh hello Hound. Splat! Oh hello Enforcer. Splat! Oh hello Abaddon. Splat!
There may be more effective loadouts for the Paragon, and as is it may just be a distraction for enemy capitals, but bulldozing through an enemy's weaker ships with the cannons of the 1812 Overture firing in time to the explosions is something I'm just not going to get anywhere else.

And to top it all off, I even managed to find two sets of blueprints for the Paragon. Not one, but two.

Once the Big Zam Paragon is mass produced, I'll put an end to the Federation EVERYONE in no time!

Update: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I was able to sell my extra Paragon blueprint on the black market for a hefty sum. The bad news is that now pirate fleets are fielding Paragons on a semi-regular basis. Whoops. At least now I don't have to mass produce Paragons, I can just recover them from the pirates.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 11:25:27 pm by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: August 21, 2019, 04:24:42 am »

Yeah, blueprints you sell on the black market enable pirates to build that stuff.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 155