Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 340093 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #2055 on: April 12, 2021, 01:10:56 pm »

I play with a pretty big pile of mods, usually a core set plus some fiddling around/testing.

A few suggestions from me:
  • The various functionality ones - lazylib et al.
  • QOL ones - namely Leading Pip, Combat Alarm Sounds, Combat Chatter, Combat Radar, Upgraded Rotary Weapons, SpeedUp, Supply Forging, Captain's Log. Lightshow if you want beams to be more easily readable (e.g. HE beams are always red). Autosave for save reminders!
  • Seeker - adds a bunch of curiosity ships & equipment, sometimes collectable or niche. Some spoilerable stuff too. Well balanced and integrates well into vanilla. Some are of a pretty different aesthetic than vanilla (on purpose), but graphically they do fit in.
  • Secrets of the Frontier - mainly for the new battlefield objectives that spawn emplacements or drone reinforcements, adds some nice dynamics to combat and only show up in areas it'd make sense.
  • Torchships and Deadly Armaments - solid selection of vanilla-friendly stuff.
  • Vayra's Ship Pack - same thing, help as much to provide enemy variety among existing factions than new stuff for you.
  • Arsenal Expansion - once again, though this one also includes a special quest + reward.
  • Tahlan Shipworks - again! Though this one does err a bit into vanilla+ or vanilla remix with some of its additions.
  • Starship Legends - a bit controversial probably. Trait system gives various semi-random modifiers to ships, both positive and negative. Ships performing better will generally end up with more positive than negative. Included with it is a nice After Action Report from each battle showing how much hull damage taken/done as a percentage of their own.
  • Rebalanced Pilums - Changes up pilums to be not so slow but very low maneuverability, making them less goofy (in my opinion).

All those vanilla+ packs above tend to generally be pretty updated / present. One recent discovery I've been having fun with is Arma Armatura - relatively laser-targeted at being 'Mechs in Starsector' and done in a pretty fun and balanced way. This includes a few player-pilotable ones, one of which is functionally a fighter (can fly over other ships, be resupplied at carriers).

Currently waiting on Blackrock to get an update before starting a new game with Nex... that and Shadowyards are probably my favorite ship sets for non-vanilla factions, but neither are currently in 0.95.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 16, 2021, 09:16:35 pm »

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Archean Order to update since it's only barely second to Nex in terms of "mods I can't imagine playing without". Even setting aside all the factions that mesh perfectly with vanilla and miscellaneous stuff, the mechanics, hardpoint, and fighter doctrine overhauls are all massive improvements in my eyes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2057 on: April 22, 2021, 05:27:08 am »

Oh my god yes, Nexerellin is so moist I love that mod

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 22, 2021, 10:03:11 am »

A hot/lukewarm fix is up now, addressing some concerns and making some fixes. Still some oddities (like Derelict Contingent) that will be addressed later. Thankfully the modding scene seems even more active with this update, including a mod overhauling the skill tree to sort of straddle in between the old system and the new one. (Supposedly a few other skill rebalances on the way as well.)

Both Nex and Shadowyards have been updated, along with many others. Still several missing big-name mods, but overall things are in a pretty good place now.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 22, 2021, 02:21:58 pm »

Finally broke down and installed Nex - have to say its a fun start. Went for random sector and the Derelict Empire start which is amusing. Having crazy AI running around everywhere in their junkers gives all the factions something to fight that isn’t me. Currently running two Dominators with assorted destroyers and corvettes, and ramming my face into people without bothering with shields is oddly satisfying.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2060 on: April 23, 2021, 01:02:41 pm »

Btw how do you fellow low tech scum deal with high tech fleets and domain AI fleets? I'm trying to go pure Luddic Path ships only, and while I can compete with Hegemony Low Tech, Midline and even High Tech to a certain extent, anything overloaded with lances, blasts and shields just annihilates my poor Luddic fleet

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 23, 2021, 01:29:18 pm »

Btw how do you fellow low tech scum deal with high tech fleets and domain AI fleets? I'm trying to go pure Luddic Path ships only, and while I can compete with Hegemony Low Tech, Midline and even High Tech to a certain extent, anything overloaded with lances, blasts and shields just annihilates my poor Luddic fleet

As a pirate whose primary affiliation with shields is as something to wear when in port to cut down on child support payments, I can't recommend derelict contingent enough.

Shield shunt and resistant flux conduits can cure a lot of woes that high-tech EMP weapons can throw at you.

Against big+stompy high-tech ships, Needlers are fantastic if you can get them, but the flux-damage ratio of the kinetic machinegun line of weapons actually makes them pretty fantastic if you're able to reliably burn drive your way into knife fighting range.

High tech ships often have bad enough armor that strong fragmentation options can actually do vicious amounts of very cheap damage, but it's often better to keep such a loadout on your flagship (in tightly coordinated groups) as the AI will often just waste flux firing a thumper into an Aurora's shields.

Salamander MRMs are a cheap, reliable, and reusable option to give you a way to beat the ever-loving snot out of the quick and dainty High-Tech ships that can dodge burn fueled charges. Wolves and Tempests aren't so scary after you break their legs.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: May 03, 2021, 06:07:00 am »

I've just heard about this game.
Is it really good ?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2063 on: May 03, 2021, 06:21:18 am »

Is it really good ?
Yeah

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 03, 2021, 10:01:49 am »

Is it really good ?

yes if you enjoy:

space

space combat, including direct action and carrier group action

space exploration with meaningful rewards

space empire building, with all the rewards that brings

space mods, the modding community behind starsector is huge. due to recent updates however, a lot of the best mods are only barely updated
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 03, 2021, 10:34:29 am »

Well, it is mount and blade, but spaceships.

There are not really any persistent people that roam around though.  Just the ones that are permanently stuck at home.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 03, 2021, 11:58:36 am »

Is it really good ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acqpulP1hLo
watch this video to the end if you want to try the game, the devs allowed to have a working cd-key in there and trust you to buy the game if you like it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:05:33 pm by motorbitch »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2067 on: May 03, 2021, 03:02:10 pm »

Feels ubercapitalist man

Just going over to a world about to be invaded in my luxury spaceliner fit with a crew of 5 (1 for me, 4 for my peons), sipping space luxuries and eating volturnian lobster. Showing up on planet, buying storage space, purchasing every illegal and legal unit of organics, food, military arms, drugs and goods. Waiting for the Hegemony to wipe the floor with a Persean outpost, before selling back the Perseans their own goods at a hideous markup, making 3 million credits of profit in exchange for adding literally nothing of value to the world.
Then fucking off to do that again on a Tri-Tachyon world being invaded by the Luddic Church, only to realise that the Luddic Church won't let me take all of my drugs and luxury goods out of storage on their newly administered-world. Fucking me over in the long-run as I'm still paying storage costs on all the goods stored each month. Spending hundreds of thousands on agents to break relations between the Luddic Church and everyone in the hope that someone will start a war that will free my locked goods. Not even to make profit anymore; just to cut my infinitely growing losses.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2068 on: May 03, 2021, 03:37:58 pm »

I firebombed every luddic church world early on in my game. I'm not certain they exist outside of their special space station.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 04, 2021, 02:56:56 am »

I can't help but think the story point thing is broken in this game. And fleet balance is out of whack.

Capitals are way too cheap, both to obtain and maintain. Every game I start I keep finding a 14th Battlegroup-design battlecarrier floating in orbit of somewhere, ripe for recovery at the cost of just one story point. Don't even pay anything to rebuild it thanks to being able to at-will respec into the skill that automatically removes D-mods over time, assuming I don't take it by default on the way to the skill that gives my colonies' industries more production.

The exploration is fun though. Kind of limited by the sector size, but fun. Can't help but think it'd be much better if it were an isekai sort of situation, when the sector outside of the core worlds periodically shifts and becomes something else, with stars moving, disappearing, or appearing anew over time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 155