Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 340613 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #2100 on: June 23, 2021, 05:28:03 am »

I never accept an exploration mission if the probe isn't said to be orbiting a fixed stellar object. None of this "it's somewhere far away from the core" nonsense

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2101 on: June 23, 2021, 12:42:08 pm »

They aren't too hard to run down with neutrino detectors.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: June 23, 2021, 03:23:59 pm »

I never take those either, it's just not worth the effort.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: June 24, 2021, 01:39:58 am »

So far the most utter trash mission possible is the damned 'deploy a stealth package in orbit' missions. Especially since one of them is required in the main plotline mission, and of course it has to be around the Hegemony capital, so you've got patrols everywhere, in addition to the extra patrol spawned for the mission that circles where you need to be endlessly.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: June 24, 2021, 08:38:18 am »

I've taken to ignoring those completely. Theoretically, some of them should be pretty easy (anything small enough to not have constant traffic, for instance), but because the bar mission interface for them doesn't tell you how big the place they want spied on is (or even what faction, I'm pretty sure - several bar missions are missing that) I just stopped accepting them. Same with missions that ask you to sneak goods from A to B - had the destination be capital-sized one too many times.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2105 on: June 24, 2021, 09:16:35 am »

So far the most utter trash mission possible is the damned 'deploy a stealth package in orbit' missions. Especially since one of them is required in the main plotline mission, and of course it has to be around the Hegemony capital, so you've got patrols everywhere, in addition to the extra patrol spawned for the mission that circles where you need to be endlessly.

I got very lucky and the Hegemony was at war and very distracted when I needed to drop that off, the patrols around the comm relay were drawn off by hostiles just long enough for me to move in and drop it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: June 24, 2021, 09:18:38 am »

Yeah, I really wish the bar missions had a way to lookup the locations while on that screen. Having to pop out and go look stuff up and then go back in is really annoying.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: June 24, 2021, 11:37:41 am »

One thing that helps a tiny bit is that (last I checked, at least) there's no penalty for dropping a mission within a day of accepting it. So you can accept the mission, see where it goes, then cancel it if it's no good.

Many folks have been requesting a way to lookup missions while on the screen (myself included), and the dev is looking into it at least.

Agree that stealth package missions can be awful. Later on they can spawn high-end fleets (sometimes multiple ones!) that are completely out of proportion to the mission payout.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: June 25, 2021, 01:27:15 am »

Well, and if you want to avoid frustration with the unavoidable campaign one, there's always the trusty Console mod, and just deleting all Hegemony fleets on the screen so you can sail in and do your thing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: November 14, 2021, 10:13:53 pm »

In case anyone is interested, I've been modding a new ship pack for Starsector during the past week or so and have gotten my first rough release up on the Starsector Forums.

Here is one of the ships I made:

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: December 18, 2021, 01:40:50 pm »

Agree that stealth package missions can be awful. Later on they can spawn high-end fleets (sometimes multiple ones!) that are completely out of proportion to the mission payout.
I mean.... it's a stealth mission, right? You aren't expected to fight the fleets.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: December 18, 2021, 04:09:53 pm »

there is also a skill that reduces sensor profile...
and hullmods that do it...
and phaseships are especially good as they reduce the profile of the whole fleet...
and just using fewer smaller ships also helps... instead of bringing your whole fleet of cruisers, destroyers and freighters and such...

---------------------------------

also there was an update a few days ago. totally worth to play it again if you havent recently.

some of the changes:

-Skill system changed for more flexible builds with more options
-Several new game-changing top-tier skills, and other new skills
-All skills can be re-specced, no more “permanent” skills
-New ships: Eradicator-class Fast Cruiser, Manticore-class Destroyer, Vanguard-class Frigate
-Missions show the mission target location prior being accepted
-Dynamic slipstreams that enable quick and efficient travel in hyperspace
-Sensor ghosts in hyperspace!
-Improved early access to ships and weapons through arms dealers
-Phase cloak changes to make phase ships easier to deal with if they’re outmatched
-Ship AI improvements; ability to issue a “defend” order targeting a friendly ship
-Various balance changes to improve variety
-Modding improvements
-Assorted bugfixing, polish, and numerous quality-of-life improvements
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 04:12:18 pm by Nelia Hawk »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: December 18, 2021, 06:43:57 pm »

Damn.... how long has this game been out? And it's still getting big updates?

I want to play it again but will wait for my memory of it to dry up a little more.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: December 18, 2021, 07:29:08 pm »

Damn.... how long has this game been out? And it's still getting big updates?
Damn... how long has this game been in early access? It's barely getting any updates.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: December 18, 2021, 09:59:45 pm »

Huh, it's not even on Steam. I must have just instantly downloaded it (after seeing Sseth's video  :P) and not read anything because I usually avoid early access games on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 155