Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 339974 times)

Freak

• Bay Watcher
  • World's Deadliest Idiot
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 03:20:17 pm »

I have some more questions.

I know that there are standard ship chassis but just how modular are they?

My other question is when you destroy an enemy ship does it actually hurt the faction that owned it? What I mean is do they have to expend resources and time to replace it or does a new one just spawn in?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 04:36:36 pm »

Sounds like something I would like. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Are there any plans for a system of capturing enemy ships? Like disabling them (either through regular damage or some specialized weapons like EMP) and then boarding them? Or perhaps even boarding pods that can be fired after a ship's shields are down.

Also, I hope you guys don't have a problem with the name. Searching for it came up with a bunch of other games. Some kind of tabletop RPG game called Starfarer, an indie RTS game called Starfare, and an MMO named StarFarer with a very minimal web page that didn't give much info.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 04:54:46 pm »

Is there a likelyhood of the game being available on steam in the near future?

Probably not in the near future.  Going to take a serious look at it as the game nears completion, though.

I know that there are standard ship chassis but just how modular are they?

My other question is when you destroy an enemy ship does it actually hurt the faction that owned it? What I mean is do they have to expend resources and time to replace it or does a new one just spawn in?

All the weapons can be changed (there are several classes and sizes of weapons, a weapon slot has a class and a size, and smaller weapons can be put into a larger slot for a bit more flexibility). There will also be hull mods that affect ship stats.  All of these use up "ordnance points", so you might trade off more powerful weapons for less armor, for example.

And yeah, the idea is that fleets cost resources (and continue to cost resources such as fuel and supplies, while operational). We'll have to be careful with that to avoid the sector either degenerating too quickly or being overrun with fleets, though.

Are there any plans for a system of capturing enemy ships? Like disabling them (either through regular damage or some specialized weapons like EMP) and then boarding them? Or perhaps even boarding pods that can be fired after a ship's shields are down.

Also, I hope you guys don't have a problem with the name. Searching for it came up with a bunch of other games. Some kind of tabletop RPG game called Starfarer, an indie RTS game called Starfare, and an MMO named StarFarer with a very minimal web page that didn't give much info.

Yes for capturing ships, no particulars yet though. One thing I really want to see is being able to salvage floating derelicts that are the remnants of a previous battle... would give a sense of history to the world.

About the name - "Starfarer" started out as the working title and just kind of stuck. Hopefully we'll be fine... The tabletop one is a different medium, the RTS one is in fact a different name (I didn't actually find it during some initial googling about a year ago...).  The "StarFarer" one seems to exist for the purpose of having ads on that page. I strongly suspect there isn't an actual game behind it. Was trying to get that domain name, but the email it's registered under is invalid, so I couldn't get in touch with those guys.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 06:36:47 pm »

This looks really rather good. I'll keep an eye on it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 09:24:12 pm »

I can't wait for this to come out. I'll preorder soon.

On the subject of building up, can you create a faction and control and defend a section of space from enemy attack?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 09:33:33 pm »

Looks interesting. But it's not really clear to me what kind of game it is. Is it like Space Rangers or is it more of an 4X with RPG elements thrown in?

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 09:36:16 pm »

Like a Real-Time Space Rangers with RPG elements thrown in.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 09:45:32 pm »

Watched the video. Immediately preordered. Why? The shields. Yes, the shields finally convinced me to preorder this. I love watching stuff smack a shield and just blow up, or teeter off...Love the effects!

If we can fully customize our ships, I will play this so much.

Oh, question, how much can we actually customize them? I would love to custom design a hull, the weapons, engines, reactor, everything.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 03:15:48 am »

Probably not in the near future.  Going to take a serious look at it as the game nears completion, though.

Okay, I do hope you do. I assume if I pre-order now and you do decide on using steam we'd just get the keys for it?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 12:13:59 pm »

On the subject of building up, can you create a faction and control and defend a section of space from enemy attack?

Yeah, though you don't have to. The overarching design philosophy is more power = less control, and vice versa. So for example, you could manage a single outpost in detail, but if you have more than one, you'll have to assign administrators (with their own personalities) to the other ones.

Watched the video. Immediately preordered. Why? The shields. Yes, the shields finally convinced me to preorder this. I love watching stuff smack a shield and just blow up, or teeter off...Love the effects!

If we can fully customize our ships, I will play this so much.

Oh, question, how much can we actually customize them? I would love to custom design a hull, the weapons, engines, reactor, everything.

Thanks, glad you like them! The shields are due to get some nicer animations in the near future, too.

About customizing ships - refer to my previous post. In short, you can choose weapons and hull mods (such as engine/reactor/shield upgrades). And you get to pick a couple of officers for the ship. You can't actually design a new hull, unless you draw one and mod it in.

Okay, I do hope you do. I assume if I pre-order now and you do decide on using steam we'd just get the keys for it?

If I get what you're saying - I don't know if you'd be able to reuse the key you get when you preorder to then get it on Steam. If we get on Steam, we'd obviously try to do that, but it seems like you need some clout to make it happen.

Desdichado

• Bay Watcher
  • The Anti-Zealot Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 12:30:21 pm »

Interesting game. How complex is the damage model in combat? Can a single engine blow off a ship, reducing the speed? Can life support go down, leaving a nearly intact derelict, etc?
"I have a puppy instead", which while maintaining a polite tone, is quiet, calculating character assassination against Toady. Do some of you not see it as such, backstabbing?

At least spell my name right.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 01:01:54 pm »

Yeah, though you don't have to. The overarching design philosophy is more power = less control, and vice versa. So for example, you could manage a single outpost in detail, but if you have more than one, you'll have to assign administrators (with their own personalities) to the other ones.
This alone is all sorts of cool.  As long as administrators are not consistently dumber and/or less able then the 'other' AI...

Albeit, from experience... 'other' AI tend to have unlimited money or some such crutch popping out of nowhere to help them along...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 02:06:00 pm »

If I get what you're saying - I don't know if you'd be able to reuse the key you get when you preorder to then get it on Steam. If we get on Steam, we'd obviously try to do that, but it seems like you need some clout to make it happen.

Oh that would be completely within your power to do. I do a lot of work with steam (the company I work for uses them) and it's basically up to the developer. You could quite easily charge through your site and provide steam valid keys for all your sales although they would probably get a little miffed after a while, but they allow people to buy through both steam and not steam and still have the product activated with them.

Anyway thank you for answering my question.

When you say you have to assign administrators, how much veto power will you have when they make the, inevitable, opposite choice to what you want to do?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »

I love the more power = less control concept. In some games you have to capture/build as much bases and possible, and it makes all the pretty and lovely (in the beginning) micromanagement into a terrible routine. However if the micromanagement is limited with the growth of your "empire" and turns into a macromanagement at some point, it's awesome.

Also I hope that there will be a chance to "win" it by not growing too large too, sometimes I want to play a conquer and plunder type of game, and sometimes I want to play a "my home is my fortress" game type.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 06:08:55 pm »

@alexm

Will there be carrier vessels?

Will traveling long distance involve using jumpgates or creating artificial jumpholes?

Keep up the good work!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 155