Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 340601 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Starfarer [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2011, 09:06:14 pm »

oh damn, i didnt preorder yet, and now I have to wait for BMT Mico to process my order. crap.
I got nothing

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2011, 09:06:58 pm »

I peed a little

Edit: the download links are REALLY non-obvious as they're just unlabelled white buttons! In the future I'd recommend labelling a header above that says boldly: Downloads and probably put an icon indicating the OS (windows logo, apple logo, penguin) on the buttons. Or something that gets that across anyway!

Oh crap, what OS/browser? They're supposed to be graphical buttons. Work for me on windows in Chrome/FF/IE, and on Mac in Safari/FF...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »

I peed a little

Edit: the download links are REALLY non-obvious as they're just unlabelled white buttons! In the future I'd recommend labelling a header above that says boldly: Downloads and probably put an icon indicating the OS (windows logo, apple logo, penguin) on the buttons. Or something that gets that across anyway!

Oh crap, what OS/browser? They're supposed to be graphical buttons. Work for me on windows in Chrome/FF/IE, and on Mac in Safari/FF...

Oh uhm, I'm on Chrome 11 Beta for Win 7. But I just refreshed and it went from plain white buttons to the proper things, never mind!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2011, 09:09:44 pm »

I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks Alexm!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2011, 09:14:16 pm »

Hey Alex, I really recommend moving away from BMT Micro for you payment system, you will get nothing but complaints and headaches from people about long waits to download and also people trying to find their software key after a year of uninstalling your game. I have seen it before with Digital River.

I just paid, but I have to wait, no download. Imagine my frustration. BMT Micro tells me I will have to wait up to 5 hours for them to process my order, imagine that. I will be asleep tongiht by then. I will get to watch this thread and read descriptions of people playing but I wont be able to play.

Now, i get it. I know why people use these systems. I am not complaining, just warning you that you will be better served by using your own system than relying on a service like this. They suck. (my opinion). I know too, I run a couple web businesses and I have a merchant account and I process credit cards every day.

Cant wait to play it, but that will probably be tomorrow.
I got nothing

Lethal Dosage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2011, 09:16:54 pm »

There seems to be a bug with the "r" key, once your press it and the all of the info shows up, there's no way to disengage it.

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2011, 09:17:49 pm »

There seems to be a bug with the "r" key, once your press it and the all of the info shows up, there's no way to disengage it.

Press SPACE to do that.

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 29, 2011, 09:28:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I get where you're coming from. Thing is, there's also the added benefit of being able to easily process orders from all over the world, and not necessarily with credit cards. AFAIK, those aren't all that popular in Europe, and believe it or not, that's where a significant chunk of preorders came from. Then there's the added overhead of coming up with/maintaining my own system instead of using BMT Micro. I honestly feel like that would be a big drain on the amount of time I'm able to devote to working on Starfarer proper.

From what I'd read, the wait times aren't always (usually?) that long. Actually, I'd love to hear what your guys experience has been - how long does it usually take from when you order to when you get the activation code?

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2011, 09:30:37 pm »

Okay, first tip. You know when you start the game up and it gives you the splash screen where you can select resolution and windowed mode? It'd be nice if it remembered your choice, as well as a button to cancel out of starting the game.

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2011, 09:31:37 pm »

Okay, first tip. You know when you start the game up and it gives you the splash screen where you can select resolution and windowed mode? It'd be nice if it remembered your choice, as well as a button to cancel out of starting the game.

Good point re: remembering the settings :) Pressing Escape cancels out, btw, but yeah, should also add a visual button. Both going on the todo list.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2011, 09:32:01 pm »

When I ordered, I think it took less than an hour to process, was rather quick.

In fact, I do not remember it taking longer then ten minutes...

But I also used a debit card :p

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2011, 09:33:23 pm »

Alexm I can tell you that when I placed my order with them it was instant, and the receipt was in my email before I tabbed over to check.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2011, 10:04:30 pm »

Ok guys, this is it! The alpha is out.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm pretty sure everything will work, having tested it on no less than five different operating systems, but you just never know.

Looking forward to your feedback - either here, or via email if you prefer that (contact info is on the website). And of course, if there are any issues, don't hesitate to let me know.

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 29, 2011, 10:05:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok, it may be that I'm a bit hyper and giddy right now, but that actually made me laugh.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »

Very fun so far, and very challenging...I got wooped on the easy mission a few times before I finished it with a 91%

The others are being rather, hard on me...

How do I switch to another ship? How also can I give more detailed orders. Auto-fire is talked about in the tut, but I did not see it mention a key, what is it?

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 155