Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 336813 times)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2011, 04:01:36 am »

Yeah, though at this point you'll have to get your hands dirty and edit a config file. There's a "battleSize" setting, and the contributing factors (i.e., objectives) are a percentage of that - though these are also configurable via a script. The game is most likely to be balanced around a battleSize of 100 points or so, but if you want to have huge battles and have the cpu to handle it, who am I to say no? :)

That's freaking awesome.

I'll add that to the idea bin. Shields are likely to receive some re-working in the future, though I'd like to see how you guys like them in this incarnation first.

Maybe there could be different types of shields, like ones that block everything that comes flying at it, but can let flux out as well, or perhaps a shield that gives a one off shield that lasts on its own "damage limit" and doesn't need the generator to keep up the level of flux output. Or perhaps you can have a shield generator that is cumulative in how much damage it can take. For example, the shield can't take very much damage from weapons before falling during the beginning of the battle, but given a bit more time, the shield becomes increasingly stronger and stronger.

Or maybe some shields can have an impact in the strategic level of play too. Perhaps there are some shields that takes days, months, or even years to fully come up to strength and is reflected by how much time the ship has its shield generator running with little or no output in terms of flux. Having its shields brought down in a battle would have a very great impact on how well it would perform in subsequent battles as it tries to bring back its shields holy crap that ought to be a lot of coding.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:04:40 am by Flare »

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2011, 11:09:11 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That last idea reminds me of the shield spell in TES: Arena. You could spend a few in-game days just casting it on yourself and resting to regen mana, and then be nigh invincible. Usually ended badly for me - I'd forget to watch my hitpoints, and then get unceremoniously killed when it finally ran out mid-battle. Fun times... ahem.

Back on topic, I think there ought to be one core way that shields work. Then these kinds of ideas could be implemented through hull mods and the like (i.e., install some equipment on ship to change how its shield works). And yeah, lots of coding :)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2011, 02:39:06 pm »

Those are some interesting ideas for shields. Would probably be a pain to balance, dunno.

I actually encourage alexm to stick with one main "type" of shielding for now, though, at least until we see how it plays ourselves. Which could be as early as the weekend! AM EXCITE.

Oh, and alexm ... I don't expect (or need, of course) an answer to this, but how well is the game selling via pre-orders compared to your expectations? Not asking for actual numbers or anything, just wondering if you're happy with how things look on that front.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »

At least 80 by now, if the figure in the other thread is accurate.

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 27, 2011, 10:31:16 am »

Yeah, I don't mind sharing that info - right around 100 preorders by now.

I didn't have any expectations about pre-order sales. In fact, I only added the ability to pre-order after several people had asked for it - was going to add it along with the alpha release, but it's really worked out better this way. I'm still blown away that you guys are actually giving me your money on the promise of delivering a game that you might like, at some indeterminate future date. Among other things, it's very motivating.

My goal is to be able to work on Starfarer full time, and of course it's not there yet. That's going to take some serious awareness-raising (contacting game review sites, etc). I think after the alpha is out and whatever glaring issues are uncovered are addressed will be a good time to really start on that.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 27, 2011, 10:37:03 am »

Every time I see your the newest poster, I get a little twitch >.>

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 27, 2011, 10:38:52 am »

4.30.2011, no twitching necessary until then.

... or 30.4.2011 if you're from Europe.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 27, 2011, 10:49:25 am »

Euros have to wait more than 26 months? That's horrible! [/badjoke]

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2011, 10:50:14 am »

Euros have to wait more than 26 months? That's horrible! [/badjoke]

Man, I walked right into that one.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 27, 2011, 11:23:18 am »

Every time I see your the newest poster, I get a little twitch >.>

Made you look...

I know, I know they have a separate layer of hell for people like me.

When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2011, 12:27:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wow, that isn't bad at all for still being in development. It would be fantastic if you could work on it full time. We'll have to help get the word out once you're closer to the full gold-version release.

I gotta get some work done -- just stopped in here when I saw all the new posts in this here thread right here.

@Comp112, sorry if I made you twitch again! (I do the same.)

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2011, 12:52:32 pm »

Well, I meant specifically alexm, others just has me check back. But when he post, I get excited...

I realize after I typed that, it can be misquoted very...Easily

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 28, 2011, 12:00:55 am »

Well, I know we aren't your only fanbase Alex, but I think you may be worrying too much about our execptations for an Alpha release. I think most of us are fairly realistic.

What is the goal with the alpha? Are you looking for feed back, bumping pre-orders, or quelling the B12 beast?

All of the above, really. Thanks for the reality check - I keep not thinking of this as an alpha release.

Feedback we can do, regardless of the state of the game. It seems like any time this community comes across a beta/alpha there are many good ideas, a handful of terrible ones, and many unrealistic ones. Regardless of the value of the feedback, there is always more than enough to keep the developers thinking.

Bumping pre-orders and quelling the beast might be the only areas you run into trouble, as it could be your first chance to run into bad press. If the game is panned and this tread turns into an “I AM DISAPPOINT”, it could hurt your long term preorders/sales.

Now, that being said, very few of the indy games I have seen hyped by this community, even pre-release, turn into majority disappoint at a later point in development. I would suggest you make sure the game tries to meet gaming standards IE buttons, orders, that sort of thing. There should be a “move” command and a “move attack” command. If we right click on a enemy, it should issue an attack order. Basically the game should be playable long before it has 900 weapons and flashy graphics.

It is also important that we (your pre-release customer base) see progress. Minecraft has hit a point where it gets (some) bad press because updates seem so rare now and Notch seems so focused on other projects.

Really, other than those things, I don’t think you have much to worry about, at least from us.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2011, 12:55:33 pm »

Setting realistic expectations helps too. We're an understanding bunch and generally ok with things like "Our short term goals are to get A,B, and C ready and playable. Long Term we'll be adding in D, E, and F."

As long as we know what's short term and what's long term you won't get panned for not having the long term stuff done.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2011, 09:11:53 pm »

in many ways Toady with DF is a master class in progress communication, Cliffski, of Gratutious space battles fame is also pretty good in his blog, and the guys over at Blindmind studios (Star Ruler) are pretty good too, as are wolf-fire games, and unknown worlds entertainment. A bad example would be the guys developing minerwars - months of relative silence.

Aslong as your frank about what's in the game and get people excited but not over expectant you wont be condemned. A key issue is releasing it to the press and wider gaming market only when its ready if possible. I think the early release of star ruler hurt it quite alot, unfortunately the devs ran out of cash so their hands were tied.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 155