Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 155

Author Topic: Starsector [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]  (Read 340797 times)

ivaylo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer [TopDown Sandbox RPG on Space]
« Reply #405 on: May 03, 2011, 04:19:10 am »

Aha. Ok. After you made the copy, and you modified the mission_list.json, did you delete the MissionDefinition.class file?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 03, 2011, 04:44:30 am »

Ah. It must be that. Thank you. Do I need to replace it after I delete it?

ivaylo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 03, 2011, 04:46:13 am »

No, Starfarer ought to take your MissionDefinition.java and recompile it into the .class file when you restart the game.

Let me know if that works.

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 03, 2011, 08:47:18 am »

Hmm... I just fired up a local install, and tried making a copy of the "turningthetables" dir.

I think the problem is this - at the very top of the file is what's called a "package declaration", and you have to change it to match the name of the mission directory, in your case:
Code: [Select]
package data.missions.buttsurprise;

<insert obvious joke here>

... no, this is not obvious. Well the joke is, but not the fact that you have to make this change. I'll be adding something to at least make sure the game doesn't crash when there's a surprise of this nature. In the meanwhile, if you look at the end of the starfarer.log file, there's usually some indication as to what went wrong (that's how I figured this one out, myself).

Btw, if you uncheck "sound" when you launch, the load time is more than twice as fast - pretty handy when you're tweaking things and needing to re-run all the time.

Well, well! If it isn't our resident loremaster, installer guru, and sound code guy :)

ivaylo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 03, 2011, 09:02:57 am »

SONOFA! Those package declarations. They'll get you eeeeeevery time.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 03, 2011, 09:03:34 am »

Maybe we Starfarer fans can put together a player-built tutorial or wiki for this kind of thing. Although the API is well documented, some folks would rather see a step-by-step "how to."

That would be just awesome. I can tell you that anyone involved in that would have my full support, not to mention gratitude.

Gentlemen, we have our mission. Suggestions on how to go about doing this? Wikia? A mediawiki install? A tutorial PDF / blog / Google Doc / engraved stone tablets? Couldn't hurt to have a system in place to share mods and missions, either.

Hello ivaylo, welcome to B12 and thanks for stopping in!

With all the assistance, hopefully the mythical ButtSurprise mission will work out for ya, Flare. I'll be playing with missions this week, if I get enough free time to do it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:05:31 am by SeaBee »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:11 am »

Suggestion:
Youtube, with lots of pausing and explaining of whats happening on screen?  Some onscreen texts too to clarify.  At least for the alpha combat demo portion. 
Cause its kinda hard to tell what each sort of ship swarming you is doing in the grand scheme of kicking your arse, without the knowledge of what their weapons could do to you beforehand.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 03, 2011, 01:20:47 pm »

Hmm, I guess I'll buy it the coming weekend, based on all the fapping here. I hope the finished game is akin to Mount & Blade in space, with both strategic and tactical depth. Well, vanilla M&B doesn't have much strategic depth, but all the great mods do. :P I doubt anyone plays vanilla anyway.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 03, 2011, 04:27:22 pm »

Hmm, I guess I'll buy it the coming weekend, based on all the fapping here. I hope the finished game is akin to Mount & Blade in space, with both strategic and tactical depth. Well, vanilla M&B doesn't have much strategic depth, but all the great mods do. :P I doubt anyone plays vanilla anyway.

Agreed! Vanilla M&B is basically just an engine, to me; the good stuff is all in the mods.

Suggestion:
Youtube, with lots of pausing and explaining of whats happening on screen?  Some onscreen texts too to clarify.  At least for the alpha combat demo portion. 
Cause its kinda hard to tell what each sort of ship swarming you is doing in the grand scheme of kicking your arse, without the knowledge of what their weapons could do to you beforehand.

This is a great idea. If anyone enjoys making videos, consider this Your Moment! I might make a very basic attempt at it this weekend, but I'd rather someone with actual talent/skill do it.

As far as a wiki goes, I could host one on my "family" website (my wife and I, we don't use it for much other than screwing around), or use a free one that has advertising everywhere. We could put gameplay and mod info in such a place, link to tutorial vids etc.

alexm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 03, 2011, 04:39:59 pm »

As far as a wiki goes, I could host one on my "family" website (my wife and I, we don't use it for much other than screwing around), or use a free one that has advertising everywhere. We could put gameplay and mod info in such a place, link to tutorial vids etc.

Hmm, I'm going to set up a forum soon (probably next few days, if I can swing it). What do you think about stickied threads for this stuff, at least to start with? It won't have the full advantage of collaborative editing the wiki provides, but would probably encourage more discussion and participation from the start. I'm open to anything, though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #415 on: May 03, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »

Alexm, if you're unsure on setting up and starting a wiki/forum I'd be happy to assist.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 03, 2011, 05:59:04 pm »

Hmm, I'm going to set up a forum soon (probably next few days, if I can swing it). What do you think about stickied threads for this stuff, at least to start with? It won't have the full advantage of collaborative editing the wiki provides, but would probably encourage more discussion and participation from the start. I'm open to anything, though.

I'm sure that would work fine. If the community for the game grows enough, having both would be awesome -- of course, policing and maintaining them will eat up your time. I know we B12'ers are used to (mostly) policing each other, reporting spam posters (and threads that get out of hand) as necessary so that Tarn and his brother don't have to read every new post. That will help. I'd be willing to volunteer for moderation duties if it gets too busy, as would several others here I'd bet. Doubt that will be a concern for awhile yet.

By the way, glad to see BMT Micro got their stuff together! Hopefully everything is stable on that end.

mongrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 03, 2011, 06:59:13 pm »

I must be missing something obvious but how do I play entirely from the tactical screen? I press V to turn on the autopilot but my cap ship just sits there. Auto weapons work but it won't move by itself.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 03, 2011, 07:09:36 pm »

I must be missing something obvious but how do I play entirely from the tactical screen? I press V to turn on the autopilot but my cap ship just sits there. Auto weapons work but it won't move by itself.
Make sure your ship has movement or attack orders in the warroom. Select your ship, then right-click a destination or enemy for it engage.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:16:02 pm by SeaBee »

mongrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 03, 2011, 07:29:15 pm »

Sussed it. I kept switching back to main screen which gives direct control again. Can I suggest changing some keys around? I find the UI a bit fiddly as it's P to pause then F to view the action from a ship, Esc to go back and Tab to change back to direct control.

Would be nice if it was possible to Tab back to main screen but still have the AI control in place. That way it's just Tab to switch from action to tactical and use Space bar to pause. Then it's only 2 keys. Although this may make it too much like an RTS and I'm not up on what the original design is around piloting a ship.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 155