Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave Spiders = Giant Cave Spiders?  (Read 1354 times)

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave Spiders = Giant Cave Spiders?
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:31:03 pm »

So I've run into a cave with Cave Spider webs littered throughout the whole area, and have occasionally seen a Cave Spider scurrying about...my question is simple: does this automatically mean there will be giant cave spiders lurking about? I would like to get a silk industry going but I'd like to know what to expect, just in case my attempts to wall off a safe harvesting area prove ineffective.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Spiders = Giant Cave Spiders?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:32:32 pm »

No guarantees until you find GCS silk or lots of death dorfs.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »

Both cave spiders and giant cave spiders appear in cavern 1. Cave spiders are vermin; GCS are wandering animals and will enter and leave your map on a random basis. In 2010 they are NOT ambushers so you'll see them just like any other wild animal. They're really not too scary any more.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:34:29 pm »

Start killing off underground wildlife, preferably by having your soldiers patrol a long route through the caverns one month of the year.  Eventually, when things die and another group of wildlife appears, that group will be a GCS.  But, the game supports one group of critters at a time, so, gotta clear the rest out.  Just use the u key to check for wildlife until one appears, and then trap it.