Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Martial Trance!  (Read 16635 times)

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Trance!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 08:32:06 am »

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 08:36:54 am »

It's where the dorf's brain switches from analytical thinking to experiential thinking - not going berserk, but going into the zone. Like using the sharingan, except not nearly as cheap.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 08:50:34 am »

I wanna add trances to goblins.  That should make my training gladiator pits a lot more fun!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 09:46:42 am »

Just have to say this because I'm weird like that... drunken styles of fighting are not actually performed drunk. They just mimic the actions of a drunk person.

I'm sure everyone knew that already. I had to say it anyway. I apologize.

However, Jackie Chan got better at it when he was drunk. I think that was one of the main themes of the movie actually :).

Though, to be fair, he got hurt a lot as well.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:52 am »

Also, to be fair, it's Jackie Chan.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 10:18:39 am »

Marital trance? It's what male dwarves go into to let them concentrate on something more interesting when their wife is talking to them without getting brained by an **iron frying pan**. Recognisable by glazed expression, repetition of phrases like "yes dear" and "that's nice" and ability to recite the last 10 seconds of what she said without actually paying any attention.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 12:03:40 pm »

Just have to say this because I'm weird like that... drunken styles of fighting are not actually performed drunk. They just mimic the actions of a drunk person.

I'm sure everyone knew that already. I had to say it anyway. I apologize.

However, Jackie Chan got better at it when he was drunk. I think that was one of the main themes of the movie actually :).

Though, to be fair, he got hurt a lot as well.
Spoiler: Unfortunately he also (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 03:23:34 pm »

So if I got this correctly; concensus on triggering trances seems to be an encounter with multiple enemies--as such couldn't one set up a militia staging area with a kind of reverse-puppy bomb--say dumping 50 untamed mole rats into a single tile, a few windows away from the militia?  X5 combat multiplier is pretty damn good, and I like the idea of a dwarven *2-minutes of hate chamber* a la "1984".
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 04:09:19 pm »

I often get martial trances from unarmed commoners who are getting swarmed by something that isn't large enough to kill them in one hit, especially just playing around in arena mode.  They tend to trigger most when the dwarf is already on his/her knees, and bleeding out, and the jackels are moving in for the kill.  Oftentimes they trigger just a couple turns before they pass out from pain or something, making it pretty much pointless.

Basically, they can be pretty useless to a dwarf that wasn't already well-armored and capable of fighting multiple enemies at once.  It's only when it triggers on a dwarf that already stood a good chance of surviving a dogpile that it turns them into bearded blenders set to "frappe". 

It's because of this that I don't pay too much attention to martial trances - they generally only happen when the battle has already been decided, anyway, and it's generally easier to rely upon less random means of removing enemies from your doorstep, like magma.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Corwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 12:59:11 pm »

In a mod I've made, I've given dogs the [trances] tag, and lions the trainable/domestic/[VERMINHUNTER] tags... 

The two guard dogs at the front trip into trance at every ambush since one of the dogs will wander off to the meeting area for a drink at the well I suppose, leaving one behind.
The lions suddenly act like cats do after adding verminhunter.
This includes roaming the map looking for critters (understood and intended) adopting dwarves (odd and useful when they adopt the woodcutter or miner or legendary armorsmith) and screwing up ambushes (as this flag stays with trained warlions too).

Ubercat has arrived.  Leave all normal cats at the edge of the zone please.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 01:22:41 pm »

Given that trancing gives huge combat bonuses (in 40d, from this thread, it removes basically all negative statuses and multiplies all skills by 5 [emphasis added]), that's often enough to even the odds.

That sounds like units (fire teams?) of 2 to 4 should actually be more effective at getting rid of ambushes and sieges than full squads, provided you can supply them with full suits of high-quality steel armor.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 02:22:22 pm »

Assuming they actually trance, perhaps.  If they fail to trance, then, they're pretty much guaranteed to be dead.  However, even one super-legendary soldier can probably take out an ambush or small siege if they trance.  Assuming Legendary+5 in all related combat skills, as well as max agility, toughness, etc (but mostly agility) you've got one fairly unstoppable warrior.

I'm also debating how to artificially induce trancing, for situations such as Hydra attacks.  Current idea is to essentially trigger a cageful of random wild critters on top of the soldier(s) on their way to the battle, so that they'll fight the various crundles and crap, trance, and then fight the megabeast immediately following.  Actually getting them to be lined up that quickly may require the use of a Stupid Dwarven Trick.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 02:35:41 pm »

Would they really need to engage the trance-inducing wildlife though? Couldn't the wildlife appear behind glass? I'm going to try with chimpanzees and report. It might take a few days.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 02:45:20 pm »

I think they only attempt to fight if they can path it, though I have zero evidence for this.  Although if you're right, you could have a corridor of pitted goblins that would scare civilians back inside, and induce trancing for the military who runs through.  Somehow though, I'm thinking that trancing only happens while in, or very close to, actual combat.
Pages: 1 [2]