Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On creating a new race  (Read 3401 times)

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
On creating a new race
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:54:43 pm »

Hi! I'm a player relatively new to DF, both in modding and player-wise. I have two questions, hope they are not too obvious or stupid!

1) I'm trying to create a race that is hostile as defaulf (Will send sieges even if you are not in a war with that civilization) but won't send babysnatchers. But even though I found a token that activates babysnatching I can't find a tag that will simply make the civilization hostile. Is this possible?

2) Is there any way to directly control the spawn rate of civilizations of certain races, or at least something close to it? For example, if there is race A and race B then for every civilization of race A there will be 10 civilizations of race B.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: On creating a new race
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:25:26 am »

As for the first question, just remove the [CAN_SPEAK] token from the creature.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:12 am »

Oh ok, I understand it now :) thanks!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:54:24 am »

I think some kobold tag or another makes them hostile too, but then they will send thieves, which might as well be the same as snatchers.

For world spawn ratios there is a tag for that.  It isn't an actual ratio but you should be able to cause a race to spawn half as often.  Will edit with the tags in a sec.

Hmm, my memory dosn't seem as good as I thought.  There are tags that do some things like that, but nothing exact.  There's    
Code: [Select]
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100]
[MAX_POP_NUMBER:10000]
[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:120]
and
Code: [Select]
[START_GROUP_NUMBER:10]
Both of which control various aspects of it.  Might not get exactly what you want, but messing with those values might get you something similar.   Halving the max pop number for example will cause the race to population cap sooner, which can result in less settlements.  Also reducing the start group number will cause there will be less members per civ when they spawn.  Which should cause them to grow slower in relation to others.

I hear start group number has an effective minimum of 4 though, any less than that and the civ may not breed because they cannot avoid incest issues.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:04:04 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 12:20:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure start_group_number isn't a valid token anymore ever since the entity pop rewrite. It's still recognized so to not cause errors, but it's been removed from the stock entities. And I'm pretty sure that max_site_pop_number is being ignored, now that I think of it, unless it's using it as a historical figure limit.

Reducing the max_starting_civ_number should work out relatively well if the civ is tough enough.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:37:52 pm »

Ok, I've been testing around with START_GROUP_NUMBER. Set the number to minimum, set evil and savagery to maximum and see if the civilization dies out quickly. It doesn't seem be working, and I think Knight Otu is right.

The only problem of using MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER would be there may be too many civilizations if you are using a pocket region or too few civilization of that race if you are on a huge region with lots and lots of civs...but I guess that's the closest way of getting around this problem?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 10:05:15 pm »

Copy the ethics from goblins, it worked for my Dark Elves.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 03:08:39 pm »

Copy the ethics from goblins, it worked for my Dark Elves.

Speaking of dark elves, is there any specific thread here with lots of well-written entity raws, custom items (such as bone weapons), reactions, workshops, plants etc posted? Civilisation Forge sounds great, but it's not quite compatible with the latest version of DF I fear... also, I know next to nothing about the relations of modded creatures and graphics packs.

Sorry for being a noob at this.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »

I wish, there used to be a mini mods thread but it died probably months ago.  Might be able to do a search on it and come up with it.  But I don't remember what version the mods were all good for.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88482.msg2423179#msg2423179  <-- Not the one I'm thinking of, but it seems I posted in it, and it's version current.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:36:27 pm »

Yuurrr. The avoid Kobold extinction fix looks nice. Cheers :D

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 05:00:32 am »

Nice. Primarily, I was looking for stuff that works with Phoebus graphics pack, so entities that are composed of already existing creatures, slightly modded to fit my needs. For example, a Merpeople entity made of Merpersons, who are amphibious instead of aquatic and can use wooden and bone items... of course, here I ran into the problem of lacking bone weapons- would have to add that myself, etc...

But the short question is: is it possible to make new entities without adding new races, or even to make several entities of the same race, like 3 kind of elven entities with the same ELF creatures but different ethics, weapons, animals etc?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:02:50 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:51:22 pm »

Yea that's possible.  You set what creature belongs to an entity within the entity raw and you can have the same creature in multiple entities.  the tag is [CREATURE:DWARF] replacing dwarf with the internal name of the creature, like [CREATURE:MERPERSON].

I believe they need the [CAN_CIV] or [INTELLIGENT] tag in order for them to work though.  And you would probably want to add other tags like the ability to open doors and speaking and learning(Intelligent implies civ, learn, and speak all in one tag so that's usually the best choice.) 

After that it's more getting into general modding territory and less specific with multiple ways to do things depending on what flavor you want.