Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack  (Read 15059 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:44:19 am »

This is my first actual mod for Dwarf Fortress.

Some time ago I wanted to create a blob creature and after scouring both dffd and the wiki, the only graphics tiles I found for blobs was from Magnut's New Underground Graphics Pack (as seen in Phoebus' Graphic Set).

I was inspired by both Magnut's Graphics Pack and Xasio7's Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod to make this - a graphics set just for blob-like creatures.

UPDATE: Version 1.0 beta can be downloaded here! (Sept. 21, 2011)

Version 1.0 beta: Updated to be compatible with version 1.0 of xasio7's "Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies" mod. (The different Blobs were changed into castes, so the Blob sprite pointers needed changing.) Also, I added sprites for Dragon Blob, Red Dragon Blob, Green Dragon Blob, Blue Dragon Blob, White Dragon Blob, Sweet Cream Jelly, Malt Jelly, Cinnamon Jelly, Banana Jelly, Orange Jelly, Lime Jelly, Spearmint Jelly, Menthol Jelly, Wintergreen Jelly, and Blueberry Jelly.

This pack was designed for the Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod version 1.0 or later. (It is not backwards compatible with previous versions.)

NOTE: This is still a beta release. This release included a lot of changes which need testing, so please leave feedback!

These are the old versions:

Since I started, I made some changes and added new stuff. Here's the new default version:

I suspect some folks consider the above to be too bright and cheerful, so here's a dark version:

Finally, I suspect that some might prefer the original neon-bright color scheme. (Who knows... perhaps somebody wants to mod a candy-themed DF. Oh, wait... That's already been done!: Candy Fortress) Anyway, here is a sickeningly sweet version:

Know that the first three rows are color modified versions of creatures from Magnut's New Underground Graphics Pack. The rest I created from scratch.

Finally, if anybody starts working on a slime-type civilization mod, please let me know.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:26:12 pm by Thundercraft »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:50:30 am »

Nice.. And I have been thinking of a playable slime civ for a while.. always too lazy to actually make one tough.
But anyway, theese are well done.  :D

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:31:15 am »

FYI: These are the blob-like creatures in vanilla DF that can be found in Magnut's pack:

Clockwise from top left, these are:
  • floating guts
  • flesh ball
  • cave blob
  • cave floater

Alocer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:21:50 pm »

Good job!  I'm a fan of row 2.  However, in a large group it will kind of look like my dwarves are getting swarmed by the cast of Sesame Street.  Maybe shift the colors a bit so they aren't as "primary"?

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:38:13 pm »

Good job!  I'm a fan of row 2.  However, in a large group it will kind of look like my dwarves are getting swarmed by the cast of Sesame Street.  Maybe shift the colors a bit so they aren't as "primary"?

I agree.  The second row is my favorite.  You could always make their edges darker and have a more gradual shade transition to darken them up a bit and add more roundness.

They do look pretty good already though.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:56:07 pm »

Make colours darker, also, I havn't used tile sets very much in the past at all, but could you use the alt tile and a similar sprite to give the image of the blob monster 'blobbing'?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 12:32:15 am »

Darker colored versions are up.

Good job!  I'm a fan of row 2.  However, in a large group it will kind of look like my dwarves are getting swarmed by the cast of Sesame Street.
I've shifted things around a bit so row 2 is now row 4. And, yeah, I suspected that one would be preferred as it's sort of the stereotype for slime monsters. Rows 5 and 6 remind me of cartoon characters. Row 5 in particular reminds me of B.O.B. from Monsters vs. Aliens or something from Monsters Inc.  :)

Make colours darker, also, I havn't used tile sets very much in the past at all, but could you use the alt tile and a similar sprite to give the image of the blob monster 'blobbing'?
I've got an especially dark version now. And I will have to play around with the graphics.txt files to see, but I think it might be possible to alternate between rows 1 and 2 for this blobbing effect.

PS: As I said, my paint program has a bad color pallet problem (colors show up very differently from what I see in posts or via Windows Preview panel) and I can't change the pallet it uses because it will just crash to desktop. But I will admit the original bright colors reminded me of candy.

Hmm... If I had to guess the flavor:
  • Red = Strawberry
  • Maroon = Cinnamon
  • Orange = Orange
  • Yellow = Banana
  • Green = Lime
  • Teal = Spearmint
  • Light Blue = Mentholated Wintergreen for fresh breath... brrr!
  • Dark Blue = Blueberry
  • Purple = Grape
  • Light Gray = ... Malted Milkshake?? Cream Soda?? Bubblegum??
Taste the rainbow!
Sorry... It had to be said. ;)  :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:46:51 am by Thundercraft »

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating jelly can help growing dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »

Darker colored versions are up.

Good job!  I'm a fan of row 2.  However, in a large group it will kind of look like my dwarves are getting swarmed by the cast of Sesame Street.
I've shifted things around a bit so row 2 is now row 4. And, yeah, I suspected that one would be preferred as it's sort of the stereotype for slime monsters. Rows 5 and 6 remind me of cartoon characters. Row 5 in particular reminds me of B.O.B. from Monsters vs. Aliens or something from Monsters Inc.  :)

I've got an especially dark version now. And I will have to play around with the graphics.txt files to see, but I think it might be possible to alternate between rows 1 and 2 for this blobbing effect.

PS: As I said, my paint program has a bad color pallet problem (colors show up very differently from what I see in posts or via Windows Preview panel) and I can't change the pallet it uses because it will just crash to desktop. But I will admit the original bright colors reminded me of candy.

Hmm... If I had to guess the flavor:
  • Red = Strawberry
  • Maroon = Cinnamon
  • Orange = Orange
  • Yellow = Banana
  • Green = Lime
  • Teal = Spearmint
  • Light Blue = Mentholated Wintergreen for fresh breath... brrr!
  • Dark Blue = Blueberry
  • Purple = Grape
  • Light Gray = ... Malted Milkshake?? Cream Soda?? Bubblegum??
Taste the rainbow!
Sorry... It had to be said. ;)  :D
In my next update I'll try to include these flavours for my Jellies and for some other creatures I might add. Thanks for the inspiration. :D I can't count how many times you inspired my mod to achieve excellence. :) (If you don't mind.)
Check out my Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod and the Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack. Now with more slime goodness! (Any feedback is greatly appreciated.)

The perfect birthday present, a cute and cuddly blood blob, and for those growing dwarves try some jelly from a jelly, now with new range of flavors to try from.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:59:41 pm »

Your slimes are divine, sir.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:03:12 am »

Would be nice to see some of them with a crown on their head.
oh, and a different hat for each profession too.  :P

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »

New version (0.04) has been uploaded. Mostly, this was to update my pack to fit version 0.04 of Xasio7's  Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies so they all show up. But (although the image above doesn't show this) I did also make the dark gray column a little darker in the default so it more resembles onyx and so forth.

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating jelly can help growing dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

This is so cool Thanks so much Thunder craft I going to start working on so of those suggestion you gave me which is leading to a cool mod :D. I also fixed the problem with snow fury slimes being an unusual colour I don't know how I made that mistake I guess I also don't know how I let it slip by be either sorry about that. :-[. Thank you for all the info you gave me.
Check out my Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod and the Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack. Now with more slime goodness! (Any feedback is greatly appreciated.)

The perfect birthday present, a cute and cuddly blood blob, and for those growing dwarves try some jelly from a jelly, now with new range of flavors to try from.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 10:45:24 pm »

New version (0.042) has been uploaded. It should work with version 0.04.2 of Xasio7's Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod. I skipped 0.04.1 because it did not seem necessary for me to update at the time.

Changes:

* Changed the BLOB_SNOW_FURRY reference to BLOB_SNOW_FURY. They should show correctly now.
* Changed the SLIME_YELLOW to SLIME_DUNE. Dune Slimes should show correctly.
* Added graphics definition for PUDDING_BLACK.

Note: I removed the 8th duplicate row of extra "bacteria" creatures to save on file size. My experiment in animating creature graphics was a failure because tokens like CASTE_TILE and CASTE_ALTTILE currently only works for ASCII (text) mode.

Also, if anybody is using this thing I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 07:54:53 pm »

New version (0.043) has been uploaded. It should work with version 0.04.3 of Xasio7's Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod.

* Changed the BLOB_SNOW_FURY reference to BLOB_SNOW. Snow Blobs should show correctly now.
* Blobs are the smallest now. Changed blobs to use row 2 of graphics set, instead of row 1.
* Bug fix: SLIME_ONYX was pointing to a blob graphic. It should look like a slime now.
* Black Pudding is bigger than the blobs. So I changed the graphic to row 1 (a large blob).

Also, if anybody is using this thing I'd really appreciate hearing (anything at all) about it.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 09:11:06 pm »

Darnit.  Now you've got me craving fruit gummies.  >:(  ;)
Pages: [1] 2