Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: CASOG Project - Back up!  (Read 13155 times)

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Create A Space Opera Galaxy Collaboration
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 10:40:15 pm »

Also, can we all agree that midichlorians are black listed?

Agreed.

I wouldn't personally be against mysticism/magic either though...

If people really are interested in this, let me know. We should come up with a base set of 'standards' collectively. If you're interested in helping with that, just say you'd like to. Once we have enough people (or at least a few) we could start discussing that.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 10:46:47 pm »

Well are we talking typical starwars 'The force' magik, tht is just about straight out super natural powers, or are we talking stargate body swapping, something that looks like tecnology, but is just magic under it all.

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 10:53:19 pm »

Well are we talking typical starwars 'The force' magik, tht is just about straight out super natural powers, or are we talking stargate body swapping, something that looks like tecnology, but is just magic under it all.

That's one of the things we'd have to establish. Fireballs and teleportation or subtle influence that could be construed as manipulation and charisma?

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 11:06:35 pm »

How about a technological form of magic? Using !!SCIENCE!! to control elements and stuff in such a way it seems magical.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 12:27:40 pm »

How about a technological form of magic? Using !!SCIENCE!! to control elements and stuff in such a way it seems magical.

Clarke said something about sufficiently advanced technology and magic, you know. Pretty much anything can be justified if you throw enough science and energy at it.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 01:25:06 pm »

Yep. I've thought about nanotechnology as a sort of 'magic' before - it wouldn't be too different from 'The Force', really, aside from the fact that Lucas used biological organisms instead of nanites. But if somebody's body is comprised mostly (or entirely) of nanotechnology, you can start getting very imaginative with the sorts of abilities they'd be able to manifest.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 05:08:10 pm »

But if somebody's body is comprised mostly (or entirely) of nanotechnology, you can start getting very imaginative with the sorts of abilities they'd be able to manifest.

The book 'Prey' comes to mind at this :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 08:43:05 pm »

I would love to join in.

In my humble opinion, I think there is a lack of space werewolves and vampires. We need to make this happen.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 01:18:25 am »

I would love to join in.

In my humble opinion, I think there is a lack of space werewolves and vampires. We need to make this happen.

Not the werewolves, but a SF book that I read (Blindsight, it's available from the author's website[1] as a giant text file if you want it) posited vampires as a predatory human offshoot that avoided killing off its prey (humans) by hibernating, but had a visual cortex glitch that caused them to have seizures when viewing right angles, and thus died off around the development of architecture. In the book, they had been genetically reconstructed and their genes were used to cold-sleep on journeys beyond the inner solar system (which, given that it's fairly hard SF, is limited to mining Jupiter and such)

[1]http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm
Try my orc mod!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 01:26:51 am »

I think the reason space werewolves are so rare is because it's hard to get a moon phase when your in deep space.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 01:38:43 am »

I would assume that werewolfism is like PMS, it happens once a month or so, but under the right circumstances it will sync with other cycles, such as the moon.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 01:39:25 am »

Good lord. Someone starts an interesting project and within five posts it gets bogged down in discussion of licensing, whether FTL travel is possible (despite the setting being fictional), and promoting world-generator programs. This is a writing project, guys. If you are demanding licensing or royalties, you probably just shouldn't contribute; you should be debating how you want to implement FTL travel rather than whether or not it should be allowed (because you're not having anything remotely close to a space opera setting and a crossable universe without it), and you should actually be creating worlds through language and creativity instead of messing around with generation programs (and ESPECIALLY before you get caught up in debates about FTL and whatnot because who gives a shit if you can get around fast or not if there's nowhere to go to).

Additionally, if you actually want to stick to an actual 'space opera' style, magic and mysticism are pretty much right out. A lot of weird things can happen in the universe, but 'remarkable scientific phenomenon' and 'can shoot fireballs or turn into a wolf' are in distinctly different categories.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 01:44:58 am »

Well arn't you just the spoil sport Retro. Now I will never finish that space opera/space survival I was writing about a human who who lands on a planet with a merpeople type civ. And it wasn't disney merpeople either! It was 'seduce you and drown you' merpeople!

My dreams lie in tatters!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 01:47:34 am »

That's not mysticism. That's a race/species. It's not mysticism until they turn into bat-tigers every seventh Tuesday afternoon.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 01:49:51 am »

A lot of weird things can happen in the universe, but 'remarkable scientific phenomenon' and 'can shoot fireballs or turn into a wolf' are in distinctly different categories.

So, what do you call small-ish plasma cannon, other than a wand of fireballs? Make it small enough and implant it in your finger and you don't even need the wand...
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18