Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Strike The Snow!  (Read 17871 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Strike The Snow!
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:39:51 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen, Elves and Gobbos, Fb's and Nc's:

I live in the northeast, and have snow up to my hips.

Real life dwarf fortress? I think so.

So here's how I'm thinking about doing it, I live on top of a large hill, with a nice above ground fortress. No magma, and no idea what kind of stone underneath. Also, no magma. However, I was thinking of making a 1-z level fortress in the "soil", starting at the bottom of the hill, and traversing throughout it.

Now, I realize that cave-ins are a serious problem, and I need to worry about them, but worst case scenario is a bit of hypothermia. Most likely, I'll just be really cold, and have snow down my back. I'll begin my expedition with a trusty plastic pick (Or tiny shovel >.>), a good stockpile of booze (Arizona ice-tea), and some minced raspberry roasts (Fruit leather). I'll obviously be decked out in all of the best plastic hide clothing.

Hopefully a video tour will come along if I ever finish this.

Ideas? Responses? No, I'm not going to be building any mega projects, but snow-crafts are a possibility.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
Re: Strike The Snow!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:47:28 pm »

There might be muddy floors if you dig deep enough.  Get some seeds ready.  ;)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:18:00 pm »

Isn't booze supposed to make it easier to catch hypothermia or something?

Although if you can catch it with that pick I'd suppose you'd have a fair chance of killing it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:19:35 pm »

Are the neighboring civs friendly or are you expecting a war in the future?
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:21:37 pm »

The northeast of what?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:22:38 pm »

United States. Big snowstorm covering a good chunk of it. Just barely missed me, but where I live we get that kind of weather every winter so we're not missing out much.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »

Beware of the yetis...  :-\
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:39:55 pm »

Wait, you're building a fortress in real life? I may have to immigrate there.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 04:41:34 pm »

Wait, you're building a fortress in real life? I may have to immigrate there.

Same.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 04:43:49 pm »

Well, I'm currently digging a tunnel to the Mountainhome's magma intake pipe (Well, oil, but...) It's been slow, and I can't progress much farther in the sweatpants I'm currently wearing, and my shovel is FAR too large. I'll need one of those tiny beach shovels, for sand castles.

I've had a cave in already in this test tunnel, from breaking up the middle ice layer (There's the ground, frozen solid, then 3 inches of powder, a layer of ice an inch thick, then a foot or so of more powder, and a top layer of ice). From now on, I need to start my excavation from the bottom, and let the ice break apart, then have all the powder fall down, off of the roof, creating the most stability.

Once I have a good area dug out, I'll go into production (Searching for) of upright spike traps (Icicles, duh), and setting them up. A problem I foresee is that for the tunnels to be stable, they need to be no wider than my shoulders, so any turning might be difficult, and turning around will be downright impossible. I plan to solve this with tunnels that circle around. Also, since getting lost is probably going to be a big problem (Everything looks the same in there), I'll make signs to tell me where I am. Light is NOT a problem, as sunlight can pierce through the top layer enough for me to see. Obviously at night this won't be true, but I'm not badass enough to spend a night in there.

Workshops might be open to the air, because that would be easier, I'll see when I get there.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 04:50:04 pm »

Beware of Cave-ins. My last attempt to reach the MountainHome resulted in a cave-in one of my sub-tunnels. My workshops got covered and all of my picks and shovels got destroyed. My latest attempt has me using rock as pillars to stop them. UNfortunately, i forgot to pack gloves.
No Gloves= !!FUN!!

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 05:02:00 pm »

Best of luck to you, brave Dwarf!
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 05:20:24 pm »

Well bugger that. Night has fallen.

Oh well, I guess I'll start work tomorrow then, and by tomorrow, I mean Saturday.

I hope I can get most of it done then, before 5 o' clock, because my schedule is packed for the rest of my life. School, Musical rehearsals, School Skiing, and then saturday cut short by a dance. Then we're back to rehearsals on sunday, and then to school.

All in all, things aren't looking to good for me, but I'll pull through. As long as deer don't decide to parade through it between working periods.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:23:27 pm »

Well bugger that. Night has fallen.

You need some dark adaptation.  Though that busy schedule you mentioned probably rules out staying in your bedroom (with the windows walled over, and having arranged for a stockpile in it to be resupplied by someone else) for long enough to get it.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 06:53:02 pm »

Icee Stops Digging: Interrupted By Snowman!
Icee Punches Snowman In Carrot Nose But It Glances Away!
Icee Kicks Snowman In Rock Eye But It glances Away!
Snowman Bites Icee's Hands, Many Tendons Have Been Frosted!!!
Snowman Absorbs Icee!
Icee Has Been Struck Down.
Pages: [1] 2 3