Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Viewing the entire Wiki offline?  (Read 2106 times)

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Viewing the entire Wiki offline?
« on: February 03, 2011, 03:40:53 pm »

So in a couple of days I'll be taking a 14 hour flight from New York City to Hong Kong and I'd like to play DF and utilize the wiki during the trip. But I don't expect to have internet access.

I know I can download pages individually, but is there anyway to get the entire wiki on my HD at once (I mean how big could it be?)

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
Re: Viewing the entire Wiki offline?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:52:18 pm »

Approximately 1gb of text, and another 4gb of images, at my last check (a few months ago).
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:21:00 pm »

Approximately 1gb of text

I'm guessing that includes revision history and/or consists of formatted HTML - I just did an XML export of every article in the "Current" and "Obsolete" categories (i.e. every single version-specific article), and it was only 10 megabytes long.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:23:47 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:17:27 pm »

Approximately 1gb of text

I'm guessing that includes revision history and/or consists of formatted HTML - I just did an XML export of every article in the "Current" and "Obsolete" categories (i.e. every single version-specific article), and it was only 10 megabytes long.

Fair point.  Also, it appears images are much smaller since I did a duplicate image delete.  I'll see about what I can do to host a version for download.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.