Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reclaiming Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5933 times)

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaiming Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 12:41:39 pm »

The military works pretty good.  They get their equipment, they spar, they hold practices and lessons.  They have complex schedules if you want or simple ones.  The only thing is that they are individuals with personalities... which means sometimes they run into battle when you tell them to retreat.  Sounds good to me. 

NW_Kohaku... you seem to complain alot about the programming.  This is a beta of enormous scope.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 12:47:49 pm »

I also seem to be arguing for certain things, and not just complaining.  It's not just being a complainer if I can spot a problem and present the case for a solution to it, as well.  "Complainers" are necessary for helping people recognize and address the flaws that people have in their works, and people who make works and then assume anyone who finds a flaw "just doesn't understand their greatness" rarely ever improve enough to become good at what they do.

EDIT:
Also, just because you can get some workarounds to the military bugs, it doesn't mean that people who do experience those bugs are lying or just complainers: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76946.0

Crossbows simply don't work the way they should, and even if there are workarounds or you can just do without crossbows doesn't mean it's not still a bug and should be fixed.

To do otherwise is to let your own emotional biases (I love this game) get the better of your logic (therefore it cannot be flawed, and all "complaints" are irrelevant and should be dismissed).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:01:34 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 12:59:18 pm »

Yes, I just feel it still in the quite early stages of the program.  Refinement wont begin for some time.  I don't think we should necissarily be expecting too many things to be refined the way we would like until the major stuff is put in.  I tend to look at and highlight the positive things that are there and trust that Toady will look after the details and fixes when it is time.  Too much of a critical eye, too soon, I find doesn't help all that much.  That's all I'm saying.  But I don't want to derail this thread with a indepth discussion.  This topic can be discussed elsewhere.  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:01:25 pm by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 01:05:47 pm »

I am not saying this is an awful game or that I hate it.  I wouldn't be here if that were true.  But there are flaws, some of which are caused by simple oversights (and should be reported and fixed as soon as possible), and some of which can be caused specifically by the game design philosophy of the designer. 

If Toady puts in systems so hidden by the interface that nobody can find them or be sure of what is causing what, and does that because he enjoys "leaving things for players to discover", without really leaving the tools for the players to figure out what, exactly, is going on, then the game is only going to get more and more impossible for the user to understand anything as time goes on.  It's a flight trajectory that needs to be corrected as soon as possible to prevent the most damage possible.  The fact that it's in alpha, if anything, makes it more imparative that the case be made against poor design decisions, because it means that even more systems will be layered on top of these design decisions later, further compounding the problems and the difficulty of the solutions.

EDIT:
P.S.  I have a nice, shiney, lovingly crafted Suggestion Thread complete with pretty pictures.  If you want to test whether I am a hypocrite or not, feel free to join in and trash the thread as best you can.  Most of my best ideas came from people who wanted to bring down my previous arguments becaues they personally hated me, and saw my threads as a means of attacking me by proxy.  When you have a set of people dedicated to exposing every flaw in your ideas, it really helps motivate you to shore up your defenses.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:27:44 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 01:47:24 pm »

You seem to take offense very quickly and start talking about people hating you and use words like 'hypocrite' at the lightest of criticisms.  Yet you have no problem leaving walls of text everywhere critical of Toady's methods with sentances like,  "bug by bad design".  My discussion with you is at an end.  If I feel like wasting my time and 'chiming in' on your thread, I'll do it there.

Sorry for the slight derailment Phoenix20.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 02:41:15 pm »

If Toady puts in systems so hidden by the interface that nobody can find them or be sure of what is causing what, and does that because he enjoys "leaving things for players to discover", without really leaving the tools for the players to figure out what, exactly, is going on, then the game is only going to get more and more impossible for the user to understand anything as time goes on.  It's a flight trajectory that needs to be corrected as soon as possible to prevent the most damage possible.  The fact that it's in alpha, if anything, makes it more imparative that the case be made against poor design decisions, because it means that even more systems will be layered on top of these design decisions later, further compounding the problems and the difficulty of the solutions.
I would like links and evidence to back up your statement "systems so hidden by the interface that nobody can find them or be sure of what is causing what,"
Nothing you provided shows hiding by the interface. Your statement regarding noise could back up the last half of the statement, but that wasn't hidden by an interface.

Here's my take on the military:
It is an interesting system, with a lot of power. There are many confusing things in it when you don't approach it piece by piece. When you approach it in only small bites, it's potential becomes clear and you will not understand how you could have had anything else.

Now it was riddled with bad early bugs. It still even has a few.
However, the system, when approached in bite-sized chunks rather than trying to take it all at once, is fully capable of ensuring you can have every member of your fortress active and defending as they best fit. Not only can you set it up like that, but you can set different styles of activity using the alerts. The key is to remember that the Military system is complicated on the level of fabricating an automobile, and stop expecting to be able to grasp it in one sitting.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »

The thing about DF is that you have to have the effort to actually start playing with no real plans. I find that the hardest part of DF is actually starting it and doing all the boring pre-playing stuff (Embarking) and doing the same repetitive startup for every fortress. Once you get past this, you get hooked and will wonder what happened to your day week.
This is exactly my problem. This, and the military screen.
Speaking of which, has progress been made to clean the military issues and combat mechanics with the new materials?
Some progress, but the military is still a pain.
I'll assume the military is both still hopelessly bugged and astoundingly difficult to use...

No
The military works fine, there are no major game-breaking bugs.
The military screen is only hard to use when you don't understand it.
Read tutorials, read the wiki, learn it.
And then, it is no longer hard to use, and you can enjoy all the flexibility.

"Once you know something, it is no longer complicated"

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 02:59:21 pm »

I would like links and evidence to back up your statement "systems so hidden by the interface that nobody can find them or be sure of what is causing what,"
Nothing you provided shows hiding by the interface. Your statement regarding noise could back up the last half of the statement, but that wasn't hidden by an interface.

It's that the connection between various in-game phenomena or details is seldomly clear or well-explained. A lot of what players know about things like personality and stats is pure guesswork and speculation.

The example was dwarves with lazy personality traits not training, or dwarves who didn't like helping other dwarves not bothering to save wounded dwarves.

Many people just saw that their doctors were partying or sitting idle when the beds in the hospital were full or crippled dwarves, or that their militia never trained, and assumed that the systems were still not working the way they should.

The problem is that the workings of the system are completely unclear and the in-game variables that affect them are not obviously related, it's easy to assume that they don't mean anything. (The details in the dwarven personality screen are very flavor-related and appear fuzzy, for example: "He is incredibly creative". Does that mean that he likes to make engravings with historical themes, or is more likely to make masterworks, or nothing at all?) In addition, very little is written or known about their effects.

The interface not hinting at any correlation thus not only leads to the perception of bugs, but also the turning off of potential players/playtesters who assume the game is still utterly broken.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 03:13:53 pm »

With the "hidden by interface" statement, I referred to aspects like dwarves who don't like helping people, but who have doctor experience, not actually helping dwarves, and generally leaving them to dehydrate to death.  Many people who play just let whatever migrant that walks in with doctor experience be their doctors, watch these doctors (who for some perverse reason, seem unusually likely to dislike their patients, and don't treat them for people who supposedly have experience treating their patients) not actually do any sort of medicine on injured dwarves, leading to most of the deaths in the hospital.

Yes, maybe if more people knew that "likes helping people" is a required trait for doctors, this wouldn't be a problem, but the thing is, most people don't look for that.  (That's what I was referring to in the quote at the time, as well.)  Yes, traits are there, if you go through the unit list, and look at the detailed view of the dwarf, but it's buried behind several layers of interface to see what traits a given dwarf has, and players have little way of telling when one trait actually is having an impact on a dwarf's behavior, especially since so many traits appear to do nothing at all. 

The way to solve this is to make it clear to the player that the dwarf is doing (or not doing) what they are doing because of a personality trait of that particular dwarf, and not something endemic in the coding of dwarf AI (which people already assume is why dwarves do stupid things).  This means you need to put some sort of message to the player that says "Not working because this dwarf is lazy", or something reasonably similar. 

This also means that if you are going to make personality traits major aspects of what jobs a dwarf will be useful for, then maybe you should put it in one of the more easily-referenced screens in the interface, and not hide it underneath the description of the curliness of their ear hairs or how stained their teeth are in the detailed description of creatures.  Data that is important to determine how to use that dwarf should have an important place in the interface for easy reference. Skill levels, (being very important,) are put in a very easily referenced place when you are considering what labors to assign a dwarf.  If certain traits are critical to doing certain jobs well, they should have a similar place in the interface.

Regarding military, as far as I can tell, most people just plain give up on using crossbows rather than deal with the still-lingering bugs in it.  Yes, you can manually force a workaround with only assigning one type of bolt to them, or you can just do without them, but that doesn't mean it's not a problem that needs to be addressed.

With that said, reworking the military interface so that it wasn't such an obstacle for people to learn without losing any of its current functionality is both possible and would obviously be an improvement, although that wasn't what I was arguing in particular. 

People play 40d and avoid playing the newer versions just because they look at the military screen and decide not to bother going through the effort to learn it.  These are people who have played DF for years, and not just "casual players" who don't want to bother with any game that isn't very simple, these are players who have just grown tired of trying to get their heads around a fairly obtuse interface.  (Which is, incidentally, the camp I think Phoenix20, here, lies in.)

Interface can be improved, and it can be improved without harming the functionality of the underlying systems.  You can build a system to be easier or harder to learn, just by the way you lay out the buttons, even if that system is "complex on the level of building an automobile".

And on that note, seriously, I've written a major suggestion thread where, thanks to Toady talking about how much he would overhaul the farming system, "if he could find a way to properly display that information to the player", I have redesigned farming, ranching, herbalism, fishing, and wood cutting and built a mockup interface to show Toady expressly how this can be best displayed to the player in a reasonable manner, without using absolute number values, and without forcing the player to learn chemistry.  The mockup interface proposal is here, and if any part of that interface is confusing to you, then by all means comment in that thread so that I can address it.  It's much easier to fix an interface when it's all hypothetical in a spreadsheet program than once it's actually implemented in the game, so I hope that we can have enough of a debate going that the interface will be refined enough that we can simply hand the interface mockup to Toady and say "here, make it like this".

edit: double ninja'd but whatever.

I did an experiment on the "creative" thing, by the way, because there were rumors of that going around.  No personality trait I tested had any impact on what those dwarves engraved.  Every dwarf (of 10 dwarves, with various personality traits both low and high and with no trait score) had virtually identical proportions of engraving "types".  "The dwarves are travelling"-type engravings (I.E. foundation) appeared to have a 20% chance of being engraved, regardless of any other factor.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Phoenix20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »

EDIT:
P.S.  I have a nice, shiney, lovingly crafted Suggestion Thread complete with pretty pictures.  If you want to test whether I am a hypocrite or not, feel free to join in and trash the thread as best you can.  Most of my best ideas came from people who wanted to bring down my previous arguments becaues they personally hated me, and saw my threads as a means of attacking me by proxy.  When you have a set of people dedicated to exposing every flaw in your ideas, it really helps motivate you to shore up your defenses.
The Dwarf Fortress forums are not as hostile as it can be elsewhere. Take the Minecraft forums, for example; if someone were determined to attack your thread there, then a way would be found that would be provocative enough to cause an argument without much logical criticism, deconstructive or otherwise. I have forgotten how polite this community was since I have left. I must say, it is glad to be back!
Pages: 1 [2]