Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reason to current job  (Read 915 times)

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reason to current job
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:04:51 pm »

Just... reason. Ie. why dwarf starts doing this thing instead of other. Shown under actual job. This will help in two main cases:
  • Personality more fleshed out. I almost never read personality texts and they have very little visible influence in game - and when they do have, it is indirect. Result: you are left with this lazyass fucker of broker that instead of trading have break, sleeps, eat and drink for months. With reason "Laziness" for job "On break", when depot awaits and no jobs enabled, you instanty know that you gonna need new broker.
  • Game bugs hunting. Why cannot follow order? It there legitimate reason or yet another bullshit military bug? For example, you see as reason "do not have ammo", yet you clearly see in inventory crossbow, quiver and bolts. Clearly bug.
Will never happen, because something resembling helpful and sane UI is anathema and heresy for Toady. Shame, isn't it?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:49:25 pm by madciol »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Reason
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:10:39 pm »

... I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...

Are you saying you want a job skill called "reason"?  That doesn't seem to make any sense.

Or are you trying to ask for a "shows us the reasoning of the dwarf in what they are doing" in the v menu? 

If it's the latter, then I think that the personality quirk things, which are never really well explained to the player, then you have the problem with it not necessarily being "because" of a personality trait, but just that a personality trait skewed the roll, and it might not be clear to the computer's logic that the skew was the sole determining factor in what the dwarf decided to do.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:48:04 pm »

... I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...
I made text a little (I hope) clearer.

you have the problem with it not necessarily being "because" of a personality trait, but just that a personality trait skewed the roll, and it might not be clear to the computer's logic that the skew was the sole determining factor in what the dwarf decided to do.
I think this will solve itself: if some dwarf is often on break or doing nothing and reason "being lazy" is listed more often than usual, then player will know that this particular dwarf deserves magma bath (if player brothers with that close monitoring, this means that dwarf should do something important like trade instead of procrastination).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:51:39 pm by madciol »

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
Re: Reason to current job
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:22:52 pm »

A way the computer can determine if a personality trait is the cause of the decision is for it to do a simple break down of the roll. First determine the order of importance for the modifiers. Then remove the modifiers one-by-one till you pass the threshold where success turn to failure. The last removed modifier is the end reason behind the choice. I can't remember which direction one is supposed to remove them in, but I think it's from least important to most important.

there might be a less CPU intensive way to do it, but that's what I thought of off the top of my head.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

ZioAnthros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 05:48:15 pm »

I'm inclined to agree.  I'd very much appreciate being able to tell exactly WHY this or that asshole is refusing to do the thing that i NEED him/her to do, in order to save the entire fort (that I probably nearly ruined with my own poor choices).

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:09:57 pm »

I'm not sure about the way this idea was expressed, but I *would* like to know why those soldiers can't follow their orders, because it is quite annoying to be left guessing.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 02:20:09 am »

couldnt you just suggest priorities for jobs? like trading as priority 1 and bring item to depot to priority 2.
LOSING IS FUN!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 05:29:19 pm »

couldnt you just suggest priorities for jobs? like trading as priority 1 and bring item to depot to priority 2.

I believe that has already been suggested.  Also, it really wouldn't help with the problem of not knowing why your soldiers can't follow their orders.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.