Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gem-Window Animations: A use for Gems at last?  (Read 13616 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gem-Window Animations: A use for Gems at last?
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:19:23 am »

Based on something that came up in another thread that I can't easily find, I've been doing a bit of experimentation with Gem Windows (b-Y) to see how well suited they are to animations.

Gem Windows are made from 3 gems, and if you choose gems of different types, they will cycle between the different colors to display.  I made some test windows and came to the following conclusions:

-All gem windows cycle in the same phase, regardless of build-time. (Unsurprising, but fortunate)
-The ORDER that you add the gems in does seem to matter. (according to ZetaX's findings.  More research needed)
-What ALSO seems to matter is the order gems appear on the list in the Gem Workshop.  Backwards.  (Cut Green Glass will always be the first gem to display its color since it's at the bottom of the list.)

The gem-order is determined by the CREATION ORDER of the gems, with the MOST RECENTLY CUT gems are used first in the window.
Another thread linked to on page3 of this thread had the following post which summarized things quite nicely:
The only thing that matters is what order the gems began their existence in.

In synch, first time, every time, until I ran out of yellow. (maybe I should have started with some decent miners 8-)

Now, you can (obviously, given the above) to some degree control the gem existence order- If you cut the gems in the order you want them, then they will have begun their new existence in the right order. But if you are buying cut gems, then the only thing you know is that the gems you cut after the traders arrive will be newer than the traders' gems, which will in turn be newer than gems that were cut before they arrived.

You can also build windows and check what order the gems in the windows are, to get a feel for which are newer (The list in [T] mode will be in creation order)

Note that the order that the dwarf fetches gems *does* correspond to the order in the window. But they will always fetch them in existence order, regardless of where they are and what order you pick them in.

You can use the con(T)ents query on a gem window to look at its components, and the order that they are listed in will be the order that they are cycling in.  Keep your gems rough for as long as possible, and then cut them to-order when you need to construct a gem window.  Identifying patches of your image that all have identical configurations will allow you do do this in larger batches.

This means that to create animations, you will need to use a wide variety of gems in order to get colors to display in the proper order.  In order to get a window that flashes "Yellow, Red, Yellow" you will have to use 2 different types of yellow gem, and have a red gem that comes between them on the list.  "Gold Opal, Cherry Opal, Citrine" will work, but "Gold Opal, Ruby, Citrine" will NOT, since Rubies appear on the list AFTER citrines do.  However since it's hard to tell when a cycle begins or ends, these two patterns will simply appear to turn red at different times.  The first example will go YRY, and the second will go RYY.

What can I make with just 3 frames of animation, though?  The only thing I can think of so far is just "travelling lights", and that will require 4 distinct gems to do.  At least there's a gem-based megaproject now!

edit: Corrected color-order information, and modified the example.  (Turns out Rubicelles are yellow, so I changed that to Rubies.)
2nd edit: Gem use-order is determined by creation-order.
3rd edit: Added that beautiful quote
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:23:25 pm by Hans Lemurson »
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Gem-Window Animations: A use for Gems at last?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:28:33 am »

You mean it's alphabetical?  That's interesting indeed, but exploitable also.  As mentioned in the other thread (Sandbox Megaproject by name, btw) you could make a stripper sign that shows a las vegas leg animation, except, it involves axes and an unfortunate goblin/kitten/other dwarf.

There may be some merit to using same colors though, like...
BBR
BRR
so that it changes at different rates, but otherwise not much comes to mind...  especially given 3 frames and a limited palette.  You could color-code your levers, bedrooms, or other areas more specifically, if you wanted?

Also, beacon lights, such as a lighthouse.  white-white-red would create a nice beacon display.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:36:59 am »

Oh, right, I mentioned gem-window animation in that thread you started.  I think a crude animation of a hammer striking an anvil and sparks coming off it would be good.

The order of gems does not appear to be alphabetical.  I'm uncertain WHAT the ordering is.  I think it might be the reverse of the order they appear in in the Gem Workshop, since a "Cherry Opal, Gold Opal, Citrine" window when viewed with the "T" menu shows "Citrine, Gold, Cherry".

For making animations though, I think I'll probably start with something simple like:
RYY
YRY
YYR
repeated in a line to create a "travelling red dots" effect.  I'm mainly using red and yellow right now since I have those colors in the greatest abundance and variety in my fort.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:38:34 am »

Is it the order in which they appear on the construction list?  Because that list is according to distance, so...

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:42:18 am »

It seems like not the order on the list, but the order in which they were added counts. Most often, this is by distance and thus by the list, but I just got a case where it's different.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:46:53 am »

So, you're planning to make a dwarven television out of gems?
I didn't even know these windows cycled colors!
... oh Armok, the potential.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 08:07:11 am »

So totally not worth my framerate, but God speed, you crazy vikings.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 08:17:16 am »

Brilliant idea - go for it.

How about a 'Welcome to <name> sign'? Make a background out of yellow-yellow-yellow windows and make the letters using windows that go yellow-red-yellow. Or have the 'welcome' made up of pure red windows, have the 'to' made up out of yellow-red-red and the <name> made up out of yellow-yellow-red windows.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:22:33 am by EddyP »

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:22:24 am »

Problem is though that while you'll be able to see the message easily, if you place them all on the same X level your dwarfs won't

You'll need to somehow build it into the mountainside. But the problem with this is that you'll only be able to see the whole thing with some kind of viewer.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:33:54 am »

... Make a billboard.  A billboard the size of a mountain.  A tree, bursting into flames, and then cinders.  Point it at the nearest elven retreat.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:32:42 pm »

... Make a billboard.  A billboard the size of a mountain.  A tree, bursting into flames, and then cinders.  Point it at the nearest elven retreat.

Or show a goblin having a (eh hem) alternative relationship with a Clown. Point it towards the nearest goblin tower.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 01:39:04 pm »

In fact, I got a good idea for my next unnecessarily dickish megaproject from this...

There's a special map using Perfect World that generates a reasonably accurate map of North America... now, if I just embark on Mt. Rushmore...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 02:11:11 pm »

I think I remember noticing this some time ago, I just haven't been able to come up with any good ideas for animations to use. I think I noticed it while making the "gemstone computers" for my airship.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 02:31:00 pm »

I have an overwhelming desire to make varied warning signs around the fort now. Gee, thanks. I needed that new megaproject.  ;D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »

"Warning: Magma may be hot!"
Pages: [1] 2 3