Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New King?  (Read 1065 times)

Darkren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New King?
« on: February 09, 2011, 01:52:36 pm »

In the Spring of one year, after having paved a few adamantine roads, my civilization's king arrived with his full entourage. He had no relationships, besides his Deity and Passing Acquaintances. On the very first day of the next year, my king died of old age, with no significant change to his Relationships page (Just more passing acquaintances). Without family, there was no successor to the throne, and my fortress has been kingless ever since.

Strangely, though, the king's bedroom was automatically assigned to a ~2-year-old child, who is listed as one of his many acquaintances. Dining room and Throne room were still vacant, however. Why was the bedroom automatically assigned to some peasant larva, or anybody non-family for that matter? Is there any significance; could this child become the new king once he reaches adulthood? Is it even possible to get a new king?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: New King?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 02:09:52 pm »

The child may simply have claimed the room after the king died and the room became available.

AFAIK, you can never get a new kind after your existing one dies.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Darkren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 02:40:14 pm »

Oh. I didn't realize that rooms could be claimed / would be reassigned, I got the impression they had to be manually assigned, not only the first time.

I got my king before I was able to get any sort of landholder. I would assume that that I can't get a baron now because my fortress is a Mountainhome? (Which would permanently bar me from possibly getting my dungeon master, as I understand it.)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 03:09:14 pm »

Either way, that kid has no right to that room. Out with him! Cheeky little monkey!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:13:06 pm »

Only acquaintances, and a 2 year old shows up to claim the throne room? Sounds like there's some illegitimate children floating around in your fortress. It is good to be the king, after all?

Honestly, though, I have no idea what is going on there.