Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 83

Author Topic: At the Dawn of Time discussion thread (Need a replacement player!)  (Read 54652 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The world is fresh, and new. Untamed forests, unbroken grasslands, and untouched rivers coat the land for farther than you have ever heard of. Scattered tribes of nomads are the only inhabitants. Perhaps the world was born only a few generations ago. Perhaps it has been this way for an eternity. You don't know, and honestly, it's never really mattered. And yet... you have an idea. Perhaps it was whispered in your ear by an inquisitive godling. Perhaps it was written in the stars. Perhaps you're just very clever. Regardless, it's time to build something... new.

I've been thinking I should start another AOR game. I'm doing some serious rule overhauling, though. The biggest change is this: Everyone starts with a neolithic society, and has pretty much the same options. As time passes, however, I will announce the passing of the current age and the beginning of the next. Every player will need to tell me how their civilization has changed over the past however many turns, how it has been shaped by events and its own internal forces, and I will use this to unlock new technologies, change racial characteristics, and grant new leaders. The second age might be as simple as unlocking Bronze Age technologies for everyone... but it probably won't be. Everyone advances to the next age at the same time, but they will grow in different directions.

I've also completely overhauled morale and population growth - the former, in fact, no longer exists, replaced by prosperity.

The discussion thread for the last AOR game is here, for those who are interested.

I'm opening space for six players. Many of you know the drill by now, but here's what I need:
A city name, and possibly a civilization name as well.
A race. This can be a generic fantasy race, or you can make up something new. In the latter case, of course, I want details.
A society description. Remember, this is a neolithic society that has only just started building permanent settlements.
A city description. What are the city's surroundings like, why was it built, and what has happened here since then? The answer to the latter can be "nothing much" if you like - it's a very young city.

This is still a fantasy world, albeit a highly nonstandard one. Young, primal gods watch the earth, fantastic beasts roam the lands, and the poorly-understood forces of magic are quite real. What you do with them is up to you.

The game is now underway. The game thread can be found here.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:11:22 pm by Vanigo »

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [AOR-like] At the Dawn of Time (Interest check/recruiting)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:56:38 pm »

Spoiler: City Basics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Building types (click to show/hide)
Big changes to:
Spoiler: Food and your people: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: City Surroundings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Leaders (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Military units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Money (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Random Events (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technologies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Refined resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Terrain (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:26:45 pm by Vanigo »

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 11:57:24 pm »

Reserved

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 12:13:30 am »

OHHH YES. Im in, ill post my civ in a few hours. But i just want to make sure that i get in first.

EDIT:EDIT:
City Name: Ljus faller
Race: Hinor, after what would be a mortal wound for regular races (old age and disease don't count, if someone is dying of disease, they need to be "killed so that they can regenerate), the Hinor regenerate, gaining both their strength and youth back (they live to 60 before the first regeneration, and live about 40 years after that till they either need to regenerate again or die), but changing their personality slightly each time. Due to the extreme energy that this takes one can only due this once every 10 years and costs so much energy and such a high amount of food, one is likely to die after regenerating if help isn't nearby to help them regain their strength. This process can repeat nearly indefinitely, however due to the personality changes each regeneration, someone can be extremely different even 5 regenerations later, to the point that someone who knew them earlier would have no clue that they it was the same person
Society Details: They worship Teki, the earth mother. They know that other extremely powerful creatures and spirits exist, and that others worship them as gods, however they are all limited, and rely on Teki for sustenance and life. Due to their unique physiology, every year they chose one of their members to "sacrifice", pouring his life blood onto the ground. The next day he comes back "revived" by the magic of the earth mother, and the unique gift that she saw fit to give them. They have a almost racial hatred against deer, bordering on the insane, and any deer they find is tortured to death and its flesh mutilated and burned, just incase it houses the shadow that hunted them.
City description: A few huts. Far above the city is a second sun, shining eternally. Due to the light, sleep is difficult, and special plant life has evolved withing the surrounding environs to be able to use the light and not die of dehydration. A river flows through the city,  From the mountains to the sea.
City surroundings: Ocean to the south (only 1 or 2 hexes fit in the board though), river to the ocean. Forests to the east, Plains to the west, mountains to the north. The river goes from north to south.
History: One day, the tribe found their best hunter dead. He usually stayed out late at night hunting, as he had night-vision unparalleled within the tribe. His body wasn't dead in the traditional sense, but his spirit was sucked out. The next morning when the tribe awoke, one of the sentries who watched out for wild animals was dead, the same fate had befallen him.
The shaman entered a vision trance, and saw what was stalking them and consuming their minds, a living shadow. During the day it took the form of a deer to hide from the light of the sun. But during the night it became a shadow, and the only thing that could hold it back was light, and the light the tribe could make was fire. As the tribe ran from it, it ate them one by one, its strength growing, and soon the tribe huddled around massive bonfires at night and even they were barley able to keep it at bay. Even as the rest of the tribe traveled, during the day the hunters tried to trap and kill it while it was stuck in the form of a deer and vulnerable. But it was far too fast of foot and it seemed to have the strength of 10 bears.
They traveled across the land, over frozen seas and around burning mountains, over the edge of the world and across jagged peaks.
Eventually they came to a land where a second sun hung in the sky, burning eternally. It was obviously a artifact of some kind, although whether it was produced by magic or teck they were unable to tell. As summer turned into fall and they prepared to leave, their shaman told them they couldn't, at the edge of the light the shadow patrolled every night, trying to get in, trying to consume them still. As the years passed and their tents rotted, they began to build more permanent structures, after all, they would be stuck here forever, hounded by the shadow if they ever chose to leave. And when their shaman told them that they could leave again they chose not to, since staying in this land was easier then traveling across the world.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:24:33 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:37:30 am »

City Name: Alaitoc
Race: The Asur.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Society Details: They are a proud race who follow their elder, their social standing is determined by their age(700-1000 elder)  and treat all Asur as equals (as the artifacts that they wear shows that they are pure Asur. the soulstones is found in the vault under the tower never run out as for every stone you take a new one will appear, as an Asur dies his friends and family will do anything to return his soulstone to the tower.) and have an automatic respect for the elderly of other races too and honor the souls of their ancestors who they say come back in the as a child but not always as an Asur and other creatures may too be reborn as Asur and Asur as them exept for the soul who walk into the eternal rest in the tower where all souls come from, and return to. All Asur have an craving for jewels that is incredible as they will trade almost anything for an sapphire.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 these are their gods or high spirits                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
■Isha - Motherly Goddess of the Harvest.
■Kurnous - God of the Hunt. 
■Morai-Heg - Goddess of Souls.
■Lileath - Goddess of The moon
■Hoeth - God of Wisdom and Knowledge. 
■Khaela Mensha Khaine - God of death.
City description: a village of huts built in the shadows of an pristine white tower. It is situatated at the slopes of a mountain.
City surroundings:mountains in the west with a plain in the north and a body of water to the south and a deep forest to the east.
the village sits on the place where the Asur is said to have lived during their first time before the time when the tribes walked away from the tower but this tribe have always lived in the the deep forests and the great plains,never straying too far away from the soultower but now it is like the tower is calling and the Asur are answering the tower and now live here in the shadow of the white tower in their village that is said to be the place where their ancestors reside.
Bio:the asur stands an average 1.90-2m tall and are slender, beautiful beings with great agility and speed but are not as strong as muscular as most races and their long lives mock the concept of old age and and they have and they have strange powers that they dont understand.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:24:30 pm by Ahra »
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:12:23 pm »

City name: Xeniice
Race: Gnomes. They stand at about half the height of a human, and their small size predictably renders them weaker then most humans. They make up for this by being more cunning and slightly more intelligent then the average human, and they tend to live slightly longer lives. They innately covet valuable objects. They are fairly ambitious, generally towards the attainment of wealth over other forms of power.
Society Description: A council of the oldest and wisest gnomes loosely rule by consent, but most decisions are from extended families, who are in turn controlled by a patriarch or matriarch. Their religion is spirit worship: Spirits are everywhere in nature. Whether or not artificial objects have spirits is a matter of debate.
City Description: Families live in clusters of large tents made of animal skins, surrounding large clearings for communal gatherings. Fields of grains surround these districts.
City Surroundings: The city lies on a river mouth, opening to the sea. Slightly hilly plains surround the city.
History: For generations unknown, the site at Xeniice has been used as a meeting ground for the nearby semi-nomadic hunter-gatherer tribes. After discovering the basics of farming a few generations ago, a few families settled the site, abandoning their traditional lifestyle. The settlement has grown since then, trading grains to the increasingly frequent visitations by other tribes for tools, skins, and whatever other interesting things they had. Over time, most of the tribes eventually joined the city, setting up their own districts nearby.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:42:36 pm by Nirur Torir »

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 02:14:44 pm »

Seems really interesting, but way too much effort/work to take part in (considering how involved I get into things...)

But definitely going to watch!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 03:29:19 pm »

Guys, "some hunter-gatherers" isn't very helpful. Of course they're hunter-gatherers; what else would they be? Tell me something I don't already know. It's not like stone-age tribes are that culturally homogeneous, and even if they were, these are late-stone-age tribes that have begun settling down, which is bound to change their society. Also, lemon10, Ahra, please tell me more about why your city was built. "At the whim of some old guy" feels like an unsatisfactory handwave.

Ahra, I don't know much of anything about Warhammer, so could you go into a bit more depth? Also, that's a bad pantheon for a stone-age society. How can you have a god of smithing if metalworking hasn't been discovered yet? War is, in many stone age societies, completely unheard of - the world is so sparsely populated there's not much worth fighting over. If your people have a history of warfare I need to know why.

Nirur Torir, the concept of "wealth"... barely exists at this point. Other than that you're looking good.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 03:35:35 pm »

Also, lemon10, Ahra, please tell me more about why your city was built. "At the whim of some old guy" feels like an unsatisfactory handwave.
Sure. Ill edit my post and make up another/more complex reason for settling there.
EDIT: and a bit more description of their society.

EDITEDIT: done, is that good enough?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:46:22 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:42:01 pm »

Nirur Torir, the concept of "wealth"... barely exists at this point. Other than that you're looking good.
I meant to leave a note in there - Money may not exist yet, but wealth for now could be any number of possessions, from having more/quality tools, more food, furs, shiny stones, or what have you. My racial description was intended to work for any age, but I suppose that wealth as a motivational force would be unlikely to be instinctual.

I'll build up to it a bit more then I was planning to do, I guess.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »

Very yes. Will plot up sentient nightmares soon; let me know if there's anything you'd prefer.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 04:11:02 pm »

think i fixd it
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 04:45:46 pm »

Lemon10: What previous village? Why was that one built? I would prefer for your current city to be the first your people have built, but if you've got a story in mind I won't press the point. If you're just thinking "Well, uh, they built a village because, uh... the last one was destroyed!"... then no. Founding your first city is The Most Important Thing That Has Ever Happened. Give me a reason. A real one. If it's not anything special about the city location, then why did your people decide building a city was a good idea?
And deer? WTF? Did the Kaleds look like deer or something? Also, I don't think they'd know the regeneration was just their physiology; I'd expect them to think it was some divine gift. (Actually, could you come up with a different name for your race? Calling them Time Lords... it's a serious flavor mismatch. I'm not crazy about the carbon-copy-from-sci-fi thing, either, to be honest, but if you differentiate them decently I won't fight you over it.)

Ahra: Settling around a mysterious artifact your people believe is sacred? Great. The idea of permanent settlements, however, is new. Never before seen. You could say it's always been an important pilgrimage site that your tribes never strayed too far away from, though.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 04:47:19 pm »

I'd forgotten to add in that my race has spirit worship for their religion.

Could we get the population per point to change per age? Maybe 50 per point in the neolithic age or something? I'm really not sure how to give believable flavor for a neolithic era city of 6000 people, especially not without a despotic government.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »

City name: Iria's Rest

Civilization name: The Ochians.

A race: Elves. Slender creatures that resemble humans, although they have longer ears and more fae features. They do live to a long age and they have a higher mental ability (More learning and adapting.)

A society description: The elven society worship the goddess of life and earth, Karia. They have a system where the oldest will teach the young skills and they also research. There is a coming of age ceremony where they blood let a small amount of their blood to the gods, to develop a link between them. They don't mind killing though in self defense and for food, although sport and industry are almost always shunned. They accept it in trade though and will occasionally do it.

A city description: Their city is a collection of wood and stone structures near to a sea, where a river separates a forest and grassy plains that was once submerged in the sea, so chalk and flint exist there. There is a mountain range nearby. They built there because of the natural resources and flint, the fact that they believe that the forest contains a god also helps...

How's this?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:43:58 pm by Ochita »
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 83