Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Money Making Idea] How about an Underground Fight Club?  (Read 14587 times)

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
[Money Making Idea] How about an Underground Fight Club?
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:21:51 am »

Title says it all really, what if there was a way to send some of your better hand to hand liberals to make money by having them fight in a fight club? It'd have to be pretty risky of course so maybe have there be a higher chance of them being busted by the police (due to being very illegal) or just plain having a chance of them dying through injuries.

Just an idea of course and I'm not sure how it would be programmed into it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:27:46 am by Untouchable »

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Money Making Idea] How about an Underground Fight Club?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:20:33 am »

Don't think that could actually be profitable.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:04:17 am »

The fight club in Fight Club was pretty much not-about-money and was in many ways defined by just how not-about-money it was.

Mahou Shoujo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:00 am »

There was plenty of money changing hands in Bloodsport and Lionheart, though. Hard Times, too. You could have this champion fighter, but then they ship in this ringer and everyone pressures your guy to throw the fight, but he doesn't and he ends up winning, even after the ringer cheats, and makes a ton of money because you bet everything on him, even though it's hinted that you were betting on the other guy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:18:28 pm »

The fight club in Fight Club was pretty much not-about-money and was in many ways defined by just how not-about-money it was.
I think the idea didn't mean the "Fight Club" movie aspect, but rather illegal "dogfights", and it's a good enough idea for me if you can somehow control it (so it's not purely random).

Don't think that could actually be profitable.
Huh? Many people earn tons of money on illegal boxing matches. People pay a lot to see blood! It's just an extreme totalizator.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 09:10:03 pm »

Deon is right. Remember Rome and the gladiators? It's in people's nature to be sadistic in that way.
Hello Hunam

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 08:21:13 am »

That sounds Conservative! Maybe it should rather be something CSS does to earn money and you could bust them in a raid.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 10:40:12 am »

That sounds Conservative! Maybe it should rather be something CSS does to earn money and you could bust them in a raid.
The activity itself may be Conservative, but if the Liberals beat up, or eventually kill, Conservatives, making money that way, it is alas ELITE LIBERAL

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:48:38 pm »

I think calling this an underground boxing ring is better then fight club.  Fight clubs sound recreational.  Underground boxing ring sounds like something run by the mob.  The idea sounds a bit conservative but if its used, it should lead to attacks by mobsters on your safehouse.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »

The idea sounds a bit conservative but if its used, it should lead to attacks by mobsters on your safehouse.

Yes, it should, but only if your fighters end up winning too often. :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 06:19:40 pm »

I think calling this an underground boxing ring is better then fight club.  Fight clubs sound recreational.  Underground boxing ring sounds like something run by the mob.  The idea sounds a bit conservative but if its used, it should lead to attacks by mobsters on your safehouse.

Why not have it be a legal university boxing or wrestling match?  Or perhaps an Olympic wrestling or boxing spinoff?  Fight clubs in fact seem rather conservative, but I could definitely see liberals participating in legal events under assumed names.  Considering many competitors in these type of things don't use real names, and cash is often the payment method, it sounds like something the LCS would "infiltrate".

Kinda brings up a cool idea.  Expanding on Majestic7's idea, wouldn't it be possible to code in a new CCS safehouse that is only staffed by guard dogs, genetic monsters, and conservative martial artists (the combatants), with the occasional CCS member as a spectator?  I'd suggest placing it in the University district, and having it become "known" after the bar.  In essense, you're shutting down a major CCS income source before hitting their main hideouts.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 07:10:14 pm »

This might seem silly, but the concept could vary according to the status of certain laws. As such, it'd have five separate levels. For example...

Arch-Conservative >> Colosseum - Involves fighting possibly more than one opponent and/or genetic monsters, unarmed or wielding melee weapons. Combat doesn't stop until one side is dead.
Conservative >> Extreme wrestling stadium - One-on-one unarmed fighting to the death. No genetic aberrations (except the mutant you might be able to sneak in!).
Moderate >> Boxing ring - One-on-one unarmed fighting that's generally stopped before one party dies.
Liberal >> Wrestling association - One-on-one unarmed fighting that's certainly stopped way before death. There's also an underground combat ring that works as the moderate-stage boxing ring.
Elite Liberal >> Nothing legal, but the underground fight club has grown harsher, and works under the rules of the conservative-stage extreme wrestling stadium.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 01:15:47 am »

In essense, you're shutting down a major CCS income source before hitting their main hideouts.

That would be cool.  There needs to be more sustained urban warfare with the CCS.  Picking off the branches makes the main safe-houses more vulnerable to attack.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »

In essense, you're shutting down a major CCS income source before hitting their main hideouts.

That would be cool.  There needs to be more sustained urban warfare with the CCS.  Picking off the branches makes the main safe-houses more vulnerable to attack.

Agreed. It would be cool if we could have a squad stake out a liberal location (abortion clinic, public radio station), and ambush the CCS in a car chase type scene, just like they do with us.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »

Until the end when it turned into a terrorist organization.

Wait a minute. :o
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: [1] 2