Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for Paper and Pencil RPGs That I can adapt to a certain idea.  (Read 1005 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile

Essentially I want to run a game in which players are the equivalent of Canada's early French fur traders except they are in a fantasy world.  Thus you'd be doing stuff like digging pit traps, using primitive firearms alongside standard fantasy weapons, and of course skinning and dismembering various fantasy beasts for fun and profit.  Just imagine dwarves netting merpeople on the beach and dragging them ashore to club for bones.  Or unicorn hunts.  This sorta thing.

Alternatively this could be a scifi setting.  I've sorta wanted to do a game of space whaling for awhile.  Key desires here is a way for ships to take damage to systems instead of HP or similar.

Thus I am looking for suggestions of !free! downloadable systems through which to do this.  Systems that are easy to manage are a plus so I don't get GM fatigue.

If I actually find something appropriate I'll probably run this through the B12 community.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know the key to most roleplaying is to pretend you have a ruleset and just wing it as you go along, right? :p

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile

You know the key to most roleplaying is to pretend you have a ruleset and just wing it as you go along, right? :p

You mean use the paranoia ruleset? lol.  I could do that I guess.

Oh free monster lists would also help so as to present targets.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I don't think there're any rulesets that'll really do what you want to do. =/

I think the guys that do Pathfinder have a few monster lists. Check them out.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile

The only ruleset that springs to mind when I think "traders" is Rogue Trader, but that isn't free, so I don't know if that'll interest you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Traveller for the Sci-fi space whaler system. Otherwise I think GURPS might have  something for you in the early Canada fur trader thing.

Best suggestion was near the top of the thread. Just find something basic and easy to work with and wing it. Nothing has to be perfect, as long as there's some semblance of logic and it's fun.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

Yeah, what you want is GURPS.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gurps is prob the way to go, one of the easiest systems to mod and add things too.

Check This Site, it has a shit load of rpgs listed with descriptions, you might find something under the free rpgs list too.

Take care,