Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sandbox Games like Haven&Hearth, DF and Minecraft  (Read 32692 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox Games like Haven&Hearth, DF and Minecraft
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:32:22 pm »

Fine, time to include the annoying lot of other games:

-RPGmaker: While the console versions have always been lacking in one way or another, the PC versions have been great. Ever wanted to share an RPG you made youeself with your friends? Perfect! The PC versions however have been spotty often having or removing features that should be irremovable or having poor creatures and animations in later versions (The Latest RPGmaker is surprisingly worse then the previous ones). Download music, download spell animations, animate spells.
-Vampire the Masquerade: It has an awsome level creation system. Better yet it has a DM system meaning you can edit, control, and speak for NPCs while people are playing on your maps. It is probably one of the closest games to feeling like an interactive Pen and Paper RPG in DM mode.

LtGreeneyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 12:11:39 am »

UnReal World - Just found it, but its awesome!  It is what I think Adventurer mode should be like... sorta. :D

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

Edit:
Also Rogue Survivor - A zombie survival that is also somewhat sandboxy.

http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:13:32 am by LtGreeneyes »

pr1mus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 01:44:11 am »

I have Garrys Mod ;) and for me, it is no game. It is a cool Tool to make screenshots or movies ;)
RPG Maker issnīt a Game too...itīs a Tool to make some, but nothing more ;) (for me!). So just stop this discussion ^^

Xyson is pay2play or not?
I will take a look at those other games :) Thanks a lot for this nice replies ;)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:05 am »

Just to preemptively reiterate/defend pr1mus' stance a little bit here, he originally asked what games he could find "similar to Haven & Hearth, DF or Minecraft". He didn't ask for "any game that fits the genre label of 'sandbox'". That should give you a good enough clue to rule out things like GarrysMod and RPGMaker as suggestions. Sandboxes they may be, but I think pr1mus is more asking for survival/simulation type games, not "true sandboxes" with no limitations or challenges. Is that a correct assumption, pr1mus?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

pr1mus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 08:19:16 am »

I would say, it is half correct ;)
I'm looking for such survival/simulation type Games, but with a skillbased System like Haven&Hearth and an "sandbox art" Gameplay. The three mentioned games are games without real limits or targets to aim for. Dwarf Fortress is a Game, where you could do anything you like...magma included ;)
Minecraft is a game, where you can build, destroy and make what you like. Except magma xD
And Haven&Hearth atleast is a game, where you can do things from both games. You can do what you like, build and destroy things. Hunt animals or just be a little Farmer or miner. And it has a skill based system, where I can choose what i wanna do, and if it is everything.

I hope, you can understand this whole shit xD my english issnīt that good.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 09:10:17 am »

DS example, but Super Scribblenauts. Know some interesting nouns? Good. Use them and see what comes up. See how they interact with each other. You can make some pretty interesting stuff in the non-"campaign" levels. There's a thread for it (and original Scribblenauts) on here.

Spoiler: GMod stuff (click to show/hide)
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 06:11:12 am »

Oh wow thanks for the tip on UnReal World very intresting game for dorf fortress fans...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 03:05:06 am »

Hate to Necro this like that, but I'm also looking around for Sandboxy MMOs and I wouldn't like to make a new post since this one is exactly what I want.
I'm looking for F2P ones by the way.

Terraria has helped a lot, but me and my friends explore it's updates too quick..so we'll let'em develop the game more before we go back at it.

There's that Dawntide game, that looks a bit like Wurm, anyone tried it recently? When I played it, it looked like a Pre-Alpha or something..
Anyway, waiting for suggestions!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 06:32:37 pm »

I love these kinds of games, they're really the only ones I can stick to for extended periods of time. Most of the ones off the top of my head are listed here already, though. Here's some that weren't,

http://survivorsofragnarok.com/
Survivors of Ragnarok is basically a sidescrolling Dwarf fortress with some Minecraft elements. It's in pretty early development so there's not much meaty-gameplay available yet.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87501.0
Cataclysm is a zombie survival roguelike, It's in early dev but there's already a ton of stuff to do and near Dwarf Fortress-level of fun. Since it's basically an alpha, it has a ton of bugs, however, Whales the dev is incredibly responsive. If your willing to download virtual box or already have Linux, the game is far more stable.

http://quicksandcoastline.tumblr.com/
Small game I found, it appears to be a round-based survival free for all, which is really quite interesting. It seems like the programmer loses interest sometimes, so I'm kind of uneasy if it'll ever reach completion, but It's worth supporting if it interests you just to keep the programmer interested in it.

http://oiduts.net/Castaway.html
I don't know what this is, or if it's still in development. I just found it while looking for a different game, thought I'd post it up anyway.

http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de/
Surprised this wasn't mentioned. It's a solid game, not the best looking game and it's kind of wonky at times but oh well.

There was a flash game as well, pretty small and eventually you beat it but I can't recall the name or find it on the net or my favorites, bah.

Some of these are more on the survival-ey side than sandbox, but ah well.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:46:49 pm by Infuriated »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 06:57:52 pm »

I'll throw in a vote for a game that is almost never mentioned. I don't actually think I've ever seen it discussed here.

Web Earth Online.

It's an absolutely ancient java-based web game that is still suprisingly online, despite being virtually empty of players most days.

It's like of a persistent online ecosystem simulation. The world is populated mostly by NPCs. As the years cycle by, each season affects how the animals behave and survive. Birds build nests, rabbits use dens, etc. Players can play as any of the animals in the game (some are subscriber-only, however). It includes snakes, elk, wolves, condors, rabbits, etc.

If you can get used to the lag, it's a rather deep game, with a lot of interesting gameplay elements. Bigger creatures can 'carry' smaller ones back to feed their young (if they're still alive, they can escape if you drop them). Carcasses rot, and some animals only eat fresh meat, whereas others prefer carrion. The smaller bird species need to build their nest in a suitable tree by gathering materials.

To breed, you must find either an NPC or player of the opposite sex, and then females will give birth/lay eggs and the chicks must be fed. You can name your chicks (who become automated NPCs) and they'll keep that name for as long as they survive in the world. Chicks, by the way, are vulnerable to animals such as snakes, who can enter nests and Carry them away.

My favourite memory of this game was as a condor. I was a very big, strong female and had raised several clutches of chicks. I had reached the end of my lifespan and was stealing chicks away from a pair of player-controlled Hawks, who then hounded me across the world for my deeds. I managed to find an abandoned wolf den and hid inside, but they eventually found and killed me. I was minutes away from dying of my age and infested with parasites, anyway. xP
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 10:33:02 pm »

Pardus

If you decide to join, use my referral code 102029

Don't let the premium membership discourage you. The only differences are stat tracking tools and a few profile display options. The Pardus cluster is hardly worth traveling to.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:35:31 pm by Acperience »

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 05:19:07 am »

Stranded 2 w/Massive Mod

Seriously. Do eet!

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 11:00:21 am »

There's a pay-to-play MMO called Mortal Online. It's basically a mix of Haven&Hearth and Elder Scrolls 3. Its skill system very much forces you to specialize: it's almost impossible to be both a high-level warrior and a miner, for example (though you can have three characters, IIRC). Guilds are very important because of this, so you'll have the miners who get the ore, the warriors transport it to the smelters, who refine it, and then they move it to the weaponsmiths and / or armorsmiths, who then actually make something. It's very long and overcomplicated, and I didn't particularly like it, but its fanbase seems to be pretty diehard. Probably worth checking out.

Oh, yeah, you can kill any player, anywhere except for the major cities (which have guards who will instapwn you if they see you commit a crime). I remember I once had to help my outlaw clanmate get into town so he could withdraw money from his bank, but any player who noticed him would have attacked him on sight. He had me hold his good stuff and he had me give him my newbie clothes. Nobody would check the noob, he figured. It was quite amusing.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »

All the ones that I know of have been posted, but I'd like to say something so I can follow this thread.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 03:16:06 pm »

There's a pay-to-play MMO called Mortal Online. It's basically a mix of Haven&Hearth and Elder Scrolls 3. Its skill system very much forces you to specialize: it's almost impossible to be both a high-level warrior and a miner, for example (though you can have three characters, IIRC). Guilds are very important because of this, so you'll have the miners who get the ore, the warriors transport it to the smelters, who refine it, and then they move it to the weaponsmiths and / or armorsmiths, who then actually make something. It's very long and overcomplicated, and I didn't particularly like it, but its fanbase seems to be pretty diehard. Probably worth checking out.

Oh, yeah, you can kill any player, anywhere except for the major cities (which have guards who will instapwn you if they see you commit a crime). I remember I once had to help my outlaw clanmate get into town so he could withdraw money from his bank, but any player who noticed him would have attacked him on sight. He had me hold his good stuff and he had me give him my newbie clothes. Nobody would check the noob, he figured. It was quite amusing.

GOD. NO.

Stay AWAY from Mortal Online.
It is literally one of the worst games I've ever played.
Pages: 1 [2] 3