Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Incest  (Read 8021 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Dwarven Incest
« on: February 08, 2011, 08:03:58 am »

I am aware that two dwarves who are brother and sister will not marry.

What about cousins, or aunts/uncles and nephews/nieces? How far apart do two dwarves need to be?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Incest
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:19:55 am »

I am conducting this research right now in 40d.

Preliminary results: Two breeding pairs is not sufficient to produce a sustainable population.

Assumption: Anyone with a listed family status cannot go the Acquaintence->Friend->Lover->Spouse path.

Observation: If you have two breeding couples (1 and 2), Children of those couples will fall in love and pair off (couple 1,2).  Children of 1,2 will list every dwarf in the fort as family, excepting the 3 that are not part of the two breeding pairs.

Dwarves also seem to have a prohibition against cradle robbing (probably just as well), as I have yet to see one of my original 7 shacking up with any of the children born on site - the kids shack up the moment they hit adulthood, however.

My research on !!Genetics!! continues.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:26:12 am »

While cousins will not marry, I remember someone saying that aunts and nephews or uncles and nieces will marry. 

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:51:00 am »

While cousins will not marry, I remember someone saying that aunts and nephews or uncles and nieces will marry.

There is confusion here because dwarves who should have been listed as cousins were instead listed as aunts/uncles.  No one was listed as a cousin of the kids of couple 1,2.

Greader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:54:03 am »

So, if two breeding pairs aren't enough, how about three? Are six dwarves enough to be able to breed enough dwarves to get the population as high as your average fort?

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:10:02 pm »

So, if two breeding pairs aren't enough, how about three? Are six dwarves enough to be able to breed enough dwarves to get the population as high as your average fort?

As I mentioned above, testing continues.  This is the scenario I am testing. I'll get back to you on that in a couple of weeks.

Greader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:18:06 pm »

Alright. Good luck with the testing.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 01:30:18 pm »

I once ran a 50 year fort where the inhabitants grew up in one year and died in 10.

I regularly had cousins hitch up, along with nephews/nieces and their aunts/uncles. In my experience, only immediate family is off-limits.

I will agree that age difference is a factor, but I think that cradle robbing is just extremely slow/difficult rather than impossible.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:25:48 pm »

In order to test cradle robbing, you must do the reverse.  Dwarves which grow to adulthood in 50 years.  It might help if you tip the balance, and use burrows to force your desired pedophilia couple together.

Holy shit, did I just say that?

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:10:09 pm »

In order to test cradle robbing, you must do the reverse.  Dwarves which grow to adulthood in 50 years.  It might help if you tip the balance, and use burrows to force your desired pedophilia couple together.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This community outdoes itself every day.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 05:46:31 pm »

I... don't think that's what they meant by cradle robbing. They probably just meant that dorfs are less likely to hook up with considerably younger dorfs, though not unheard of. Queen Urist of Blocklance comes to mind -- she was at least seventy years older than the guy she eventually ended up shacking with, if I remember correctly.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »

I... don't think that's what they meant by cradle robbing.
Honestly, I thought they did. :-\
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:17 am »

I... don't think that's what they meant by cradle robbing. They probably just meant that dorfs are less likely to hook up with considerably younger dorfs, though not unheard of. Queen Urist of Blocklance comes to mind -- she was at least seventy years older than the guy she eventually ended up shacking with, if I remember correctly.

Was that during a fort?

The kids in my fort are more like 100-130 years younger than the eligible adults.

I have an unhitched female in my 3-couple fort right now, waiting for the first generation of kids (almost all male) to hid adulthoood and see what happens.  I may have to restart the experiment, though.  An elven donkey got wounded by the skeletal whatnot, kept falling unconscious and running around for about three seasons, being gnawed on by a trio of skeleton mountain goats (who couldn't seem to kill it even while it was out cold), and eventually went mad.  My dwarves looted it while I had a 'make lavish meal' order in the kitchen and my Talented cook grabbed three bags of flour and threw some cougar meat in for good measure.  Resulting meal stack was worth 4k and threw me right over the 10k line.  I'm bracing for ambushes at this point - they have a tendency to mess my last-dwarves forts up pretty badly. 

It may not be a loss, though.  Civ screen shows no  gobbos yet.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 09:47:12 am »

Was that during a fort?

The kids in my fort are more like 100-130 years younger than the eligible adults.

I have an unhitched female in my 3-couple fort right now, waiting for the first generation of kids (almost all male) to hid adulthoood and see what happens.  I may have to restart the experiment, though.  An elven donkey got wounded by the skeletal whatnot, kept falling unconscious and running around for about three seasons, being gnawed on by a trio of skeleton mountain goats (who couldn't seem to kill it even while it was out cold), and eventually went mad.  My dwarves looted it while I had a 'make lavish meal' order in the kitchen and my Talented cook grabbed three bags of flour and threw some cougar meat in for good measure.  Resulting meal stack was worth 4k and threw me right over the 10k line.  I'm bracing for ambushes at this point - they have a tendency to mess my last-dwarves forts up pretty badly. 

It may not be a loss, though.  Civ screen shows no  gobbos yet.

Build some traps (cage or weapon with large serrated discs) or at worst dig a channel & build a retractable bridge over it at the entrance to your fortress with some chained animals to detect sneaking enemies so you know when to retract the bridge. They're utterly boring ways to deal with invaders but they're pretty fool proof ways of stopping them.

Or just turn off invaders in d_init.txt since you're experimenting.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

farm the man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 10:59:53 am »

I'm sigging this.
It might help if you tip the balance, and use burrows to force your desired pedophilia couple together.

Pages: [1] 2