Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Avoid losing progress after crash  (Read 1602 times)

Darkriser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Avoid losing progress after crash
« on: June 27, 2016, 09:13:25 am »

I'm playing the vanilla DF (always the recent release) on Linux (Arch, x64).
It happens, that DF crashes from time-to-time.
OK, no problems, but is there any hint/fix/user-script to avoid losing the progress I made since the last game start?

I used to occasionally re-start DF while playing to allow my 'saves' folder to update and auto-sync with remote cloud storage,
however when I forget to do this for more than an hour and DF crashes, all my progress from the last hour is lost.
(It seems that the world's folder stays unchanged and current session's folder ('current') is cleared after a crash)
Very frustrating sometimes, really.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Avoid losing progress after crash
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:43:39 am »

There is an auto save option in the inits text file.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:48:07 am »

There is an auto save option in the inits text file.

If you set it to [YEARLY], the game will create a save on the 1st of granite of year.
If you set it to [SEASONAL], it will create a save on the first of every season (Granite, Hematite, Limestone, Moonstone).

You can also set it to make a backup every time it saves.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Darkriser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 03:03:29 pm »

Thanks for both answers.
Yes, I am aware of the config files and have the autosave feature turned on.
However, saving once a season is not sufficient for me.
When I'm planning some "stuff", I play mostly with pause ON and giving LOT of orders.
After an hour or two, the DF time moves barely few days, but there's a huge amount of activities performed.
If lost (due to a sudden crash), it really hurts....

Isn't there a way how to backup the game progress without explicitly "saving" and reloading the game?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 04:21:46 pm »

Isn't there a way how to backup the game progress without explicitly "saving" and reloading the game?

Only if you use DFHack, where "quicksave" allows you to save the game-state without exiting the game.  It has only been updated through 43.03, not to the latest version, and the current 43.03 DFHack causes occasional random crashes, so saving frequently is a must if you use it.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur